Blown Head Gasket On A Built Motor And Low Boost ???

tohighpsi

Established Member
Well after a windsheild full of antifreeze exhaust pouring antifrezze and plugs covered in antifreeze guessing my head gasket let go. The question is why. From what I have read and heard this almost never happens. I also have a built motor and head studs. The car was tuned by MPH so I dont think that would be the reason. I have a kb 2.6 with all the supporting mods and was running 18pds at the time it happened.

Car will soon be back on its way to atl to get fixed. Just looking for some insight to why this might have happened so I can try to avoid it. Im not sure if the car has the head cooling mod. Is there any chance the head could have a got a hot spot and made the gasket weak. Thanks for any help

RussZTT

Established Member
Well after a windsheild full of antifreeze exhaust pouring antifrezze and plugs covered in antifreeze guessing my head gasket let go. The question is why. From what I have read and heard this almost never happens. I also have a built motor and head studs. The car was tuned by MPH so I dont think that would be the reason. I have a kb 2.6 with all the supporting mods and was running 18pds at the time it happened.

Car will soon be back on its way to atl to get fixed. Just looking for some insight to why this might have happened so I can try to avoid it. Im not sure if the car has the head cooling mod. Is there any chance the head could have a got a hot spot and made the gasket weak. Thanks for any help
Its always possible that the head or block wasn't milled correctly or at all. If the mating surfaces are not flat then a blown gasket will be a given.

tohighpsi

Established Member
Its always possible that the head or block wasn't milled correctly or at all. If the mating surfaces are not flat then a blown gasket will be a given.

True the motor was built at proline race engines which is top notch so I wouldnt think this would be an issue but you never know

RussZTT

Established Member
True the motor was built at proline race engines which is top notch so I wouldnt think this would be an issue but you never know
Yeah, they are human. Al P built my shortblock and Champion heads did the heads. I had a small amount of coolant getting into one of the cylinders. So I pulled the motor and cleaned the block and head surface with scotch brite. Replaced with a new gasket and its now fixed.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Hopefully its just the gasket and not something more serious, I read your other post to, best of luck to you man!

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Did you try reaching out to Tim yet? These things can happen unfortunately :( A part could have failed and caused the issue..but hard to say until you get it apart and trouble shoot it. Hopefully it's nothing major and a fairly easy fix. Good Luck.

Last edited:

tohighpsi

Established Member
Did you try reaching out to Tim yet? These things can happen unfortunately :( A part could have failed and caused the issue..but hard to say until you get it apart and trouble shoot it. Hopefully it's nothing major and a fairly easy fix. Good Luck.

Thanks man. Yeah he is doing right by it. The car should be getting shipped down there within a week or so. Yeah hope there is nothing else wrong with the car.

tohighpsi

Established Member
Just talked to tim who I got the car from. He talked to tim at mph who did all the tuning and he said there is just no way that gasket should have poped. He is thinking the a fuel pump might have went up and leaned the car out. Or the intercooler pump. I have a temp guage for the intercooler and thought I was keeping a close eye on it though. Time will tell

tohighpsi

Established Member
Ok so the heads got pulled of the car today. The number 4 cylinder on the pass side is where the problem was. Gasket was melted real bad and the head had a bad spot in it. Luckly getting the head fixed wont be a prob. All of the plugs look good though. Were kind of stumped. The car will prob be going back on the dyno in a week or so to see if anything looks funny.

RussZTT

Established Member
Ok so the heads got pulled of the car today. The number 4 cylinder on the pass side is where the problem was. Gasket was melted real bad and the head had a bad spot in it. Luckly getting the head fixed wont be a prob. All of the plugs look good though. Were kind of stumped. The car will prob be going back on the dyno in a week or so to see if anything looks funny.
So I was right. They should of surfaced the heads and the block to begin with.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
how long ago was the motor built? Like just recently or? What would cause that.... ? Are they absorbing some cost or is it 100% on your dime (just asking this in relation to how recent the build was, i would assume your dime 100% if its been a while since build)?

Users who are viewing this thread