Blown Head Gasket, Maybe More...

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
After a bad fuel pump issue, I think a couple lean spikes did in the passenger head:

dsc02191zc4.jpg

The bottom of the plug and the coil boot were oily when I pulled it out.

Is the below pic a sign of a blown head gasket? My overflow looks a tad cloudy, and lost about 3/4 gallon of water. I also noticed my exhaust would spit a lot, just thought it was from having no cats and some extra condensation:

dsc02198vl8.jpg

What really sux is I've only had the truck running "right" for a couple months, then it all went downhill after I installed the 255's and Whipple.

Since I lost the plug, and replaced it, the truck has a shudder with low/moderate load under 2.5k rpms. Idle feels almost fine.

What's the "trick" for getting ARP studs out with the engine in? I'm trying to minimize the amount of gaskets I'll need to replace. I have a feeling I may be rebuilding the passenger head...if not both. Never liked the slightly tweaked inserts that make me have to use a rubber hose to get them in/out :bash:

God I pray the pistons/bore are ok. My luck with this truck has disappeared... I think it's time I seriously consider my kids college over keeping it. :(

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
dam that sucks. my arp bolts werent too bad. i removed my heads with block still in. i just kind of tap them on top to brake loose. then some pliers(chanellock) with lots of tape to grp them & turn. it's posible.

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
Now that I think about it, ever since I went the deleted PCV route, my cap has been somewhat foamy like that.

BTW, it's definitely a blown gasket, it whistled after I shut the engine off.

My wife is actually being supportive. She feels bad because she knows I was just getting it nailed down and running right, and this happens. I am also going to send out the injectors and mark the # 6 (? second back on passenger side) to see if that one was weak.

Is it detonation that causes a leak in the head gasket, or a leak in the head gasket eventually causing a lean condition in a cylinder? It seems like I've been spitting a bit of water out the tailpipes for some time now? I just figured it was condensation??

GTSSTANG

Established Member
Detonation will cause a blown head gasket for sure. Hopefully it only blew out the gasket and did not mess up the pistons or vavles...

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
I plan on pulling just the passenger head, unless I find problems with any plugs on the driver's side.

I'm guessing I should invest in another set of studs? This would be the second time they've been used... anyone have a set sitting around :-D

Chief

Established Member
I dont have the studs but I do have new Head bolts. I recently took off my passenger head because of a couple of broken plugs!! I bought the whole gasket kit and new bolts but only used 10 of the 20. Let me know. Good luck

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
Thanks everyone - and thanks Mike! Let me know how $ shipping runs ya on those studs. I'd reuse mine, but I'm afraid I may have stretched them a tad if I lifted the head at all.

Should I do both head gaskets just to be sure? Or, if compression is good on the driver's bank, just retorque the nuts on the studs?

Furinox

Established Member
take the head to a machine shop and get them to check it for being warped as well. I had to have a my heads milled because my driver side one warped =(. I was hoping to just replace a gasket and then ended up doing a motor build lol.

Last edited:

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
I have the drivers side head gasket too. I only replaced the passenger side. Runs better than ever!

I'm hoping I don't find any huge issues when I pull the passenger side... Stinks I have to buy a full set, just for a 4 layer passenger side head gasket :bored:

SUPERCHARGEDV8

yes...I DID BEAT YOU!
Established Member
F**K..just found out my truck has the same issue...i was finishing up changing my plugs and decided to clean the oil cap cover and i took it off and mine looks exactly like urs..is changing gaskets hard to do?changed oil oil looks good except when i take oil fill cap iy gets just a bit of moisture.. i hope i dont have to take the whole cab off just to fix problem...can anyone give me some pointers for parts and what i have to go thru to change gaskets..

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
F**K..just found out my truck has the same issue...i was finishing up changing my plugs and decided to clean the oil cap cover and i took it off and mine looks exactly like urs..is changing gaskets hard to do?changed oil oil looks good except when i take oil fill cap iy gets just a bit of moisture.. i hope i dont have to take the whole cab off just to fix problem...can anyone give me some pointers for parts and what i have to go thru to change gaskets..

Don't change em!! You're probably fine. Oil looks like that on the cap if you have breathers, as it allows more air/humidity into the crankcase.

The way to check for a blown head gasket is to first check compression. Look in your raditator overflow and see if it has a hint of black or an oily ring. Mine smells like exhaust in there, and has a very slight milky, burnt look. I also lost 3/4 a gallon of antifreeze in a 10 mile drive, no boost. ...the last thing is excessive water spraying out the exhaust, with a sweet smell.

SUPERCHARGEDV8

yes...I DID BEAT YOU!
Established Member
ive never had the foam on my cap tho...ever and ive always had breathers...i was loosing water in my resevoir but i beleive that was my res cap cause i was only runnin water a bit of antifreeze and 2 bottles of purple ice...ever since i changed cap i havent had to refill res with water...i guess it was evaporating out. if i get new cop what would be the best way to go msd's or something oem from an autoparts store

Users who are viewing this thread