Blown 96-98's with Throttle bodies

2L8IWON

"I'm on the Mutha Fugger"
Established Member
Any of you guys running throttle bodies (like Accufabs?) on your blown Cobras? If so, what did you guys pick up at the track? I'm just trying to see if it's worth the expense.

J's98Snake

Established Member
I gained 37 rwhp from a Accufab TB and pro-m MAF, switched from an autoligic chip to a SCT. Throttle responce is def better. Also droped 3/10 and gained 2 mph in the 1/8 with above.

2L8IWON

Established Member
J's98Snake said:
I gained 37 rwhp from a Accufab TB and pro-m MAF, switched from an autoligic chip to a SCT. Throttle responce is def better. Also droped 3/10 and gained 2 mph in the 1/8 with above.

Holy crap!! That is insane. Do you think that those gains were from the TB only or did the tune have a big part in it?

J's98Snake

Established Member
2L8IWON said:
Holy crap!! That is insane. Do you think that those gains were from the TB only or did the tune have a big part in it?

I'm sure it's a combination of all the above. TB was def worth the $$ IMO. Prior to the above mods I had a race gas tune with the old set-up.

Anyway race gas tune was 507/450 14 psi mustang dyno 110 octane (stock TB, LMAF & autoligic) best 1/8 I could get was 7.6 @ 92 with a 1.6x 60'

With the new TB, pro-m and SCT I made 510/450 16 psi mustang dyno 93 octane, however, I have major belt slip problems and my 7.3 @ 94 1/8 with a 1.58 60' was with only 13 psi. So in theory at the track I had 1 less psi and still ran considerbly faster with the accufab TB, pro-m and SCT chip. No boubt she'll run 7.0's or faster with 16 psi.

As far as the TB goes, it's just a accufab oval for 96-98 Cobra. I bought it from AMP out of Phoenix.

My car is full weight 98 convertible with 17x9 fronts and slicks out back for the track. Motor is Stock H/C/I all forged 9.01:1 compression, LT headers ect.., 3.73 gears, TKO.

bsmith9165

Established Member
Those are great number. My set up is Im running 12 lbs of boost with a KB. Im at 379/376 and Im trying to break 400 hp. I dropped my compression to 8.5 and Im thinking I should have dropped it to 9.0 and have alittle compression in the chamber

J's98Snake

Established Member
bkraith-

You have a cobra right? 379/376 seems low to me. I think most the 03/04 with 12 psi (eaton) make 450+. Is your car dyno tuned? How much timing are you running? What's your a/f?

Tell me more about your car.
Jake

blown5.0

Established Member
2L8IWON said:
Any of you guys running throttle bodies (like Accufabs?) on your blown Cobras? If so, what did you guys pick up at the track? I'm just trying to see if it's worth the expense.

Are you currently running the stock vortech kit? Do you have larger injectors and a pump? Also, what rwhp numbers are you putting down?

bsmith9165

Established Member
My car is a 98 a/f @10.5 to 1. It was dyno tuned but I think the tuner was very conservative. As far as timing goes Im not sure

J's98Snake

Established Member
bkraith said:
My car is a 98 a/f @10.5 to 1. It was dyno tuned but I think the tuner was very conservative. As far as timing goes Im not sure

Is it a GT? If it's a GT I'd say your numbers are not too far off. 10.5 a/f is rich, anywhere from 11.5 - 11.9 is a safe power zone for blown cars.

J's98Snake

Established Member
bkraith tell about your car. i.e. what motor is in it, is it stock, fuel system, exhaust system, blower psi ect.

Help a brotha out!!

Wall96cobra

Established Member
J's98Snake said:
bkraith tell about your car. i.e. what motor is in it, is it stock, fuel system, exhaust system, blower psi ect.

Help a brotha out!!

That's about right for a KB 96-98 cobra, I have seen some make alittle over 400rwhp but that's it. The KB's for the 96-98's are the smaller ones (not sure of the actual displacement) and it is not intercooled so you can't get real agressive with timing and they produce a good bit of heat. Another thing to think about is the B-heads are not the right head for a roots or twin screw type blower because those blowers usually run out of steam in the upper RPM range and that's where the B-heads really shine.

2L8IWON

Established Member
blown5.0 said:
Are you currently running the stock vortech kit? Do you have larger injectors and a pump? Also, what rwhp numbers are you putting down?

Sorry that I hadn't replied earlier but my computer crashed hardcore and dumped the harddrive the other day. I couldn't even get it to turn on, so I replaced it with an Alienware lapotp, that I just got today.

To answer your question I am running the stock kit, FMU, Injectors and up until yesterday the stock Mass air. My car put down about 360ish @ 8lbs.

That brings me to yesterday. I have been working with Jay Tucker, the owner of JLT True Cold air to make a power pipe for the 96 Cobra. He is a solid guy, dedicated to putting out a great product! Anyway after much manipulation he finally found a way to cram his pipe into the ol' Mystic. The results are awesome ! I picked up just over 2lbs of boost and about 30+ RWHP. Keep in mind that I still have all of the stock parts save for a Lightning Mass Air that had to be installed. The fellas at Dyno Tuned Performance told me that I should be able to pick up some good numbers once I dump the FMU and put in 42lb injectors.

So if you have a 96 w/ a blower be sure to check out JLT, it is a super solid piece with impressive gains and awesome craftsmanship.

To you guys talking about the guy w/ a KB problem, thanks for hijacking the thread.

blown5.0

Established Member
Thanks alot for the info! Im currently looking to get a vortech for my 97 cobra. I am somewhat worried about the internals not holding up though. How many miles have you put on the blower and how do you drive it?

2L8IWON said:
Sorry that I hadn't replied earlier but my computer crashed hardcore and dumped the harddrive the other day. I couldn't even get it to turn on, so I replaced it with an Alienware lapotp, that I just got today.

To answer your question I am running the stock kit, FMU, Injectors and up until yesterday the stock Mass air. My car put down about 360ish @ 8lbs.

That brings me to yesterday. I have been working with Jay Tucker, the owner of JLT True Cold air to make a power pipe for the 96 Cobra. He is a solid guy, dedicated to putting out a great product! Anyway after much manipulation he finally found a way to cram his pipe into the ol' Mystic. The results are awesome ! I picked up just over 2lbs of boost and about 30+ RWHP. Keep in mind that I still have all of the stock parts save for a Lightning Mass Air that had to be installed. The fellas at Dyno Tuned Performance told me that I should be able to pick up some good numbers once I dump the FMU and put in 42lb injectors.

So if you have a 96 w/ a blower be sure to check out JLT, it is a super solid piece with impressive gains and awesome craftsmanship.

To you guys talking about the guy w/ a KB problem, thanks for hijacking the thread.

2L8IWON

Established Member
bkraith said:
Sorry about that. It just got a life of its own. I would like the web site to JLT

No drama man, I understand how things can get outta control. Jay's website is jlttruecoldair.com check him out.

2L8IWON

Established Member
blown5.0 said:
Thanks alot for the info! Im currently looking to get a vortech for my 97 cobra. I am somewhat worried about the internals not holding up though. How many miles have you put on the blower and how do you drive it?

As far as how many miles my car has, it's a terrible example case. I bought the car from a couple that used it for show and it really hasn't had a ton of abuse(36k to answer your ?). However I have a buddy in Miami that has a ton miles on his block and runs 18#s of boost. If you do research on my user ID you will find that post, and to be honest the subject is very controversial.

Here is my advice: don't go crazy with boost (12#s tops), don't chase a RWHP # while tuning, as most tuners will give you whatever you ask for and not worry about the longevity of your block. get water injection for some sort for added insurance. Lots of guys run tons of juice and/or lots of boost on these motors for years, it's all in the tune. Yield to the side of caution and stay on the fat side of a/f and you should be fine.

98Vobra

Established Member
I just went from the stock vortech kit with FMU and so on. With that I made 369rwhp and around 360rwtq, the car was bone stock except for the vortech kit. I then added Bassani Mid leangth headers, catted X-pipe, lightning 90MM MAF, 42lb injectors, ditched the FMU and got a adjutable FP regulator and a AFM power pipe. With a Costom tune using a Diablo Predetor I then made 430rwhp and 390rwtq. The car has 10,000 miles on it all with the vortech form day one in 98 (I finally got used to the power and wanted a little more). That is still with the stock cat-back (Which I am curently looking for a used bassani cat-back) I also plan on adding a Snow performance Kit and 4:10's (I have 3:55's now) in the near future and I hope to see around 450rwhp and 420rwtq. I think these cars can handle under 500rwhp at the wheels with a good tune and not a lot of abuse. We will see.

Users who are viewing this thread