Blown 5.0 V8 Explorer

anavenger

Established Member
Hey guys, a huge fan of the SVT Production line vehicles but unfortunately cannot afford one. So im gonna have to work with what i've got for now... '98 Eddie Bauer 5.0 Explorer 4wd i would like to go supercharger but not sure what the best route of going by this would be. I feel that there is a lot of potential with this vehicle, because of the 4wd the vehicle just launches off the line when torque braked. So far all we have done to it is a Set of headers that my dad made up, msd ignition coils, and flowmaster exhaust with the X pipe.

I've seen the roots style eaton blower that explorer express uses but it only throws down 85 whp... for like 3500 bucks... so i'm on your guy's forum pretty much every nite and decided to come to you guys for help since you guys seem to specialize in forced induction. I've been really interested in those kenne bell / whipple blowers you lightning and cobra guys use. Do you guys know of any set- ups that would bolt up to my current configuration? Your help is deeply appreciated.

-=[Jon]=-

CobraSusie

Team Shelby Great Lakes State Director (Indiana)
Established Member
Sweet !!! :rockon:

Hope it all works out for you, keep me posted, I Love my truck!
And have tinkered with the idea of making her faster, but it would be so much work :(

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
I don't know of anything but I did have a video of a V8 Explorer putting over 468rwhp..but I think they had a Centri Blower like Vortech or Procharger. Good luck I had a explorer as well but didn't mess with it so I went to the mustang. I'm happy with my decision. :)

anavenger

Established Member
CobraSusie said:
Sweet !!! :rockon:

Hope it all works out for you, keep me posted, I Love my truck!
And have tinkered with the idea of making her faster, but it would be so much work :(

Wow i just realized that you are a female, please take no offense to this but i think its freakin awesome that you own both a cobra and a lightning. Maybe its because i live out here in California, but its not often that you see ladies roll around in a real piece of machinery - Im a bellman at the Hyatt so I see overly expensive status symbol cars and i just think to myself wow, for that $120,000+ SL55 you could have both a lightning and cobra both over 500whp for under that price. But yea its awesome, way to go you.

Back to the topic though, thanks everyone who's commented so far. I know that my dad plans on stroking it out to a 331 ci and then blowing it, but we want to make sure we have the right application for this set up. I also know that i'd have to get new rods and pistons, fuel system, and probably have to replace the transfercases with something that would hold all the power... but i want to make sure that i can this thing blown correctly before i go and do all this other stuff. WOuld anyone happen to know if the blower off of a cobra or lightning would bolt up to the explorer head? and what exactly is the difference between going roots and centrifugal performance wise? the centrifugal system looks like a big turbo to me, is it still belt driven?

Thanks again for all your guys/gals help...

-=[Jon]=-

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
Roots gives you more low end power which with the weight and everything of the explorer, you would most likely want more. And yes the centri is still belt driven. It loves the high rpm's for more boost and you get quite a bit less in the lower end. Don't know if the cobra/lightening blower would bolt right up to the explorer head. Hopefully somebody can chime in on that.

anavenger

Established Member
Thanks for the info. THe explorer is pretty torquey already. if this is going to be for quarter mile would centrifugal be better then for high end traps?

CobraSusie

Established Member
anavenge said:
Back to the topic though, thanks everyone who's commented so far. I know that my dad plans on stroking it out to a 331 ci and then blowing it, but we want to make sure we have the right application for this set up. I also know that i'd have to get new rods and pistons, fuel system, and probably have to replace the transfercases with something that would hold all the power... but i want to make sure that i can this thing blown correctly before i go and do all this other stuff. WOuld anyone happen to know if the blower off of a cobra or lightning would bolt up to the explorer head? and what exactly is the difference between going roots and centrifugal performance wise? the centrifugal system looks like a big turbo to me, is it still belt driven?

Thanks again for all your guys/gals help...

-=[Jon]=-
The Cobra blower will not bolt on, you'd proably need a new adapter plate and upper and lower intakes, and thats just a guess.

centrifugal would be alot easier and cheaper, it bolts onto the heads on the front of the engine, and its belt driven, the roots style, compress' airs as it blows down into the intake manifold, and the centrifugal compress' air inside the housing and then blows it through the intake tubing into the intake manifold.

The centrifugal doesn't make as much power and torque at low RPM but it makes the same or more at the high RPMs.

...and generally the kits are cheaper, and they come complete with the fuel upgrades and computer upgrade, and ATI (sounds like the most complete kit)
with good power and its self contained so you don't have to drill a hole in the oil pan. And you can get it intercooled. They run about the same price as Vortech and Paxton.

The Powerdyne kits are said to be a little easier to install and they're self contained too, but they dont make quite as much horsepower.
Kit takes about 8 hours to instal if your into mechanics, probably a full weekend if your inexperienced with wrenching.

CobraSusie

Established Member
Anything over 5-8 lbs. of boost and you run serious risk of breaking the lower end of the engine, (pistons connecting rods, crank & main bearings)

optx002

Established Member
I used to have a 2000 v8 explorer. i was going to use a powerdyne supecharger, but i decided to get a cobra. Check out explorerforum for information on explorers. I learned alot there, and ive had 2 explorers already. It sure is different driving a suv with awd in the snow and rain to driving a rwd cobra in dry los angeles weather. hope you enjoy your explorer, and if you cant find information on that site or here, just pm me and im sure i can help you out.

tmsoko

Established Member
Yes, I know this is an old post, but I found it while digging through the archives for a Kenne bell picture.

Anyhow, I have a 302 Explorer V8 that I fit a 1.5L Kenne Bell to. I have since pulled it out of my 1999 Ranger 4x4 and am in process of putting in a Windsor based engine with a 2.2L Kenne Bell and a 03 cobra intercooler with custom intake.

Now, for the 1.5L, I used a Holley systemax series I lower (a stock 5.0L mustang would work as well) in place of the explorer / Gt40 lower. The GT40 inlet/discharge from Kenne Bell for a 87-95 mustang will not work, as it put blower too far to drivers side and cuts off access to accellerator cable. So, use the stock manifold inlet/discharge manifolds from kenne bell. Then, you need to cut down the drive extension so the all pulleys align. I used a 94-95 drive and had 8mm cut off. Aligns perfectly. Next was custom drive support using a 87-93 bracket modified and bolted to another bracket made of 1/4" aluminum plate. Finally, modified the coil pack bracket, throttle bracket, and added 1" phenolic spacer to clear P/S line.

Check out these pictures (several pages):

http://groups.msn.com/RangerKB/shoebox.msnw

tmsoko

Established Member
The KB kit does not work with the Explorer FEAD, it is made for the mustang. Plus, the Explroer DIS parts need modified to allow the blower to fit.

racebronco2

Established Member
explorer express was thinking about coming oput with a stage 2 kit ... it would bring the hp levels up to 350hp, with bigger injectors, computer mods and a smaller pulley ..... they told me that anymore and the tranny would need to be modified to handle the power

tmsoko

Established Member
True, but as you know, the 4R70W trans in the older explorer V8 can be made to handle serious power for cheap money. Not like the costs of upgrading a 5R55S anyhow!

anavenger

Established Member
tmsoko said:
Yes, I know this is an old post, but I found it while digging through the archives for a Kenne bell picture.

Anyhow, I have a 302 Explorer V8 that I fit a 1.5L Kenne Bell to. I have since pulled it out of my 1999 Ranger 4x4 and am in process of putting in a Windsor based engine with a 2.2L Kenne Bell and a 03 cobra intercooler with custom intake.

Now, for the 1.5L, I used a Holley systemax series I lower (a stock 5.0L mustang would work as well) in place of the explorer / Gt40 lower. The GT40 inlet/discharge from Kenne Bell for a 87-95 mustang will not work, as it put blower too far to drivers side and cuts off access to accellerator cable. So, use the stock manifold inlet/discharge manifolds from kenne bell. Then, you need to cut down the drive extension so the all pulleys align. I used a 94-95 drive and had 8mm cut off. Aligns perfectly. Next was custom drive support using a 87-93 bracket modified and bolted to another bracket made of 1/4" aluminum plate. Finally, modified the coil pack bracket, throttle bracket, and added 1" phenolic spacer to clear P/S line.

Check out these pictures (several pages):

http://groups.msn.com/RangerKB/shoebox.msnw

Wow, I know i havent been on here in a while... but this info you guys are givin me is damn impressive. What kind of numbers are you expecting to be puttin down? AWD Blown Ranger with a 351windsor? Sounds pretty nasty. Keep us updated on your stuff for sure. And thanks for all the replies from you guys.

racebronco2

Established Member
check out explorerexpress.com for more info .... by the way i was thinking about selling my blower set-up that i bought from explorer express about 3 years ago, the reason i am thinking about selling it is cause i don't tow my race car anymore (sold it when i bought my cobra). my exploder did 15.7 in the 1/4 compared to 18.xx. when towing i was able to pass vehicles uphill, mostly impressive low to mid range, and smog legal!!!

anavenger

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
check out explorerexpress.com for more info .... by the way i was thinking about selling my blower set-up that i bought from explorer express about 3 years ago, the reason i am thinking about selling it is cause i don't tow my race car anymore (sold it when i bought my cobra). my exploder did 15.7 in the 1/4 compared to 18.xx. when towing i was able to pass vehicles uphill, mostly impressive low to mid range, and smog legal!!!

Was that blower setup for your bronco or an explorer?

cobra29svt

Established Member
ive been thinking about using all of my misc perf. parts to slap on my 98 mountaineer 5.0 for a little extra kick. havent got off my lazy butt and done it yet....probally never will

Users who are viewing this thread