Blown 2V makes 521whp stock internals!

65fastback2+2

Established Member
if this is the silver one on stangnet...hes been making that power for over a year and several track runs

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I realize the rods are not built differently in a 3v or 96 - 01 4v engine, but look at the horspower 05+ guys are putting down.

For that matter, look at what the typical mach or 99/01 cobra @ 10psi puts down. Most put down a lot more power than what is considered safe on a 2v engine, yet everyone agrees that a 2v won't hold more than 450ish rwhp for a long period of time.

I'm not disagreeing, just wondering why. I believe that it does have something to do with the heads otherwise we would see more 05+'s slung apart than what we do.

Again, I think it's just because the better flowing heads allow pressure to exit the cylinders better as soon as the exhaust valves open, possibly reducing the strain on the bottom end.

That may be totally bogus, and i'm not sure I can say that I back the idea 100%, but if not someone explain why 05+ cars all make 500rwhp and run without problems.

LS1Killer: No, all 4v's did not come with forged rods, in fact only the 03/04 cobra, Ford GT, and GT500 come with forged rods. They all came with a Manley piece, and they are not identical in each car. Going by pictures in a MM&FF article, the Ford GT's are quite a bit beefier than the others.

Last edited:

61mmstang94

Established Member
Its call less RPMs

Exactly...just as a random example (not a 2V specifically) if you had the same engines, one making 500rwhp and only revving to 5500rpm and then one making 450rwhp but revving to 7000, you might last longer with the 500rwhp even though it's making more power.

As for the 05+ guys making so much hp, I'm not sure where you see that at because I have seen examples of them snapping rods at even 475rwhp before, and no the tune was not at fault.

But as LS1killer said, the guy knows what the deal is and is just trying to see how long it'll last. So good for him and hopefully it doesn't mess up more than he plans like the s/c when it does let go...because it will.

61mmstang94

Established Member
I realize the rods are not built differently in a 3v or 96 - 01 4v engine, but look at the horspower 05+ guys are putting down.

For that matter, look at what the typical mach or 99/01 cobra @ 10psi puts down. Most put down a lot more power than what is considered safe on a 2v engine, yet everyone agrees that a 2v won't hold more than 450ish rwhp for a long period of time.

I'm not disagreeing, just wondering why. I believe that it does have something to do with the heads otherwise we would see more 05+'s slung apart than what we do.

Again, I think it's just because the better flowing heads allow pressure to exit the cylinders better as soon as the exhaust valves open, possibly reducing the strain on the bottom end.

That may be totally bogus, and i'm not sure I can say that I back the idea 100%, but if not someone explain why 05+ cars all make 500rwhp and run without problems.

LS1Killer: No, all 4v's did not come with forged rods, in fact only the 03/04 cobra, Ford GT, and GT500 come with forged rods. They all came with a Manley piece, and they are not identical in each car. Going by pictures in a MM&FF article, the Ford GT's are quite a bit beefier than the others.
I have seen rod failure in 05+ cars at 450-475rwhp with a turbo and s/c, maybe some get lucky, but why chance it when you are already spending money on the thing? Do it right or just leave it alone and don't mess with it until you have the money.

The heads have nothing to do with it. Have you ever seen Scat, Eagle, Manley, etc. advertise that their rods, pistons, or anything are rated at a certain HP with a certain headflow? That's because th eheadflow doesn't necessarily have a big impact at all on how strong the rod is.

Last edited:

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Hmm.. Well I guess I was mistaken about 05+ cars, It just seems that they all make decent power, and I suppose I just don't hear about many failures.

On a side note, this guys numbers are pretty impressive across the board.

It's making 10psi at 5000rpms, and is putting down what looks like close to 475rwhp. Those cams must be working good

A2V2NV

Established Member
Wow....surprised by some of the comments on here. A guy is pulling those numbers on a stock motor and no one is surprised? Does this thing have stock cams as well? If so, those are fantastic numbers for a mild 2V!

~Joe

EDIT: I stand corrected, it has cams and some 60# injectors, with meth. to give it a nice cool dense charge.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
its quite easy and cheap to put a filter on the line from the block to the feed on the blower... maybe $20

I put 6 filters on the line from my radiator to my heads. Also my brake lines have filters in them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread