blowing out cats

air_commando88

Established Member
Hey guys I really need some help. My 04 gt has been going through catalytic converters like crazy, I'm not getting any check engine light but I'm told from a mechanic that it seems to be running lean. It has a diablosport tune on it and its been on there for awhile with no problem. I never had a problem until I had an exhaust shop build me a catted x pipe with two cats to replace the stock 4 cat h pipe. Anybody have any ideas why its breaking them down? Any help would be great thanks.

cotchnobra

Established Member
having to high of exhaust temp can burn out the cats which could be cause by the tune that is in the car. If you don't have emissions inspections I would say get an O/R H or X pipe or just hollow out the cats and have the car retuned for no cats.

air_commando88

Established Member
I was considering it since I don't have inspections but I was doing what I could to keep it legal. I just wanna be sure I don't have a serious fault in the car, I mean it came with them but now it doesn't seem to like them. It runs fine though and doesn't throw any codes.

air_commando88

Established Member
It seems like it might be running a little lean, anybody know what I should check? Has a diablosport predator tune but would that effect the air fuel ratio that much?

cotchnobra

Established Member
Aftermarket things like intake, throttle body, exhaust, tune. then also weak fuel pump clogged fuel filter, bad fuel regulator, and o2 sensors that are getting old but not popping a check eng. there are many different thing that could cause lean condition.

0uTcast13

Established Member
check your intake tube coming from passenger side valve cover going into the intake on top of the motor it may be sucking in oil. mine is doing the same thing and i was told to get an oil catch can =) hope that helps.

air_commando88

Established Member
check your intake tube coming from passenger side valve cover going into the intake on top of the motor it may be sucking in oil. mine is doing the same thing and i was told to get an oil catch can =) hope that helps.

You talking about the one going to the pcv valve? I checked that and the valve had oil on it. I'm gonna try the oil catch can as well and see if that helps. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread