Blowing fuse 18 after COP Swap

wildman97

Established Member
I have a 97 Cobra and recently performed a COP swap using one of the Red Monsters harnesses. Everything went fine, the car started right up and idled nice. I took the car for a test drive with no issues, the car sat for about 30 mins and when i started it back up to pull it in the garage there was a noticeable miss and would die right away.

Well i found one coil with a crack in it, swapped it out and all new plugs. Started up and ran great. Took it out for a drive and about 15 miles later the car just died, i thought it was the fuel pump as it would not cycle. I checked the fuse under the hood and all seemed good so i changed the fuel pump. Only to find out the interior fuse box had blown #18 and the fuel pump was not the problem, at least i have an upgraded pump now.

So i put in a new fuse and it fired right up again idling like crap, found the #7 coil not firing. Swapped it and everything was great. So i was on my way to the car wash the car stumbles and dies, i check fuse #18 (20 amp) first and it is in fact blown. I replace it with a 15 amp and turn the key it pops again, i replace it with a 30 amp the car starts and I limp it home with a bad misfire.

Got home and found the #7 coil dead not firing again. I traced the harness, it had melted to the EGR tube and i believe was grounding out, patched up the harness and plugged the coil back in and still wont fire. I am amusing the coil is toasted now. I am picking up another coil today to see if this clears the issue i am hoping it was just the melted wire.

Also, for all the guys who have COP swaps. What are you doing with the radio ignition interference capacitors that was on the original coil packs? I did not reinstall mine, although i don't have noise in my stereo do i need to have those installed?

Any other ideas and input is welcomed.

Thanks,
Garrett

Helomech74

Established Member
for the capacitors, i extended the wires and attached them to the back of the heads out of view, similar to where the 03-04 Cobras are attached.

wildman97

Established Member
Thanks, i reinstalled them and the new coil seems to have done the trick. Now i just gotta take her out and see if the problem is gone. I hate not being able to trust the car, its not my daily drive but sucks non the less.

Users who are viewing this thread