blower school

97whitecobra

Established Member
Hey guys, with blowers what are pros & cons of the different blower companys and thier products? What would you recomend for my 97' cobra w/ 18,000 miles and currently has ported intakes bassani x pipe and cat back if that helps. Also what else should I do (if anything) to compliment the unit. I do want reliability,(rather a few less ponies for a reliable car) and probably won't install it myself. What is the best and safest route here. ex: how many lbs of boost?, should I change pistons? blah blah

thanks

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
There are alot of options for you, since your car is "pre-99" Most blowers can be use in a safe mannor, ATI,Paxton,Vortech are great and will perform about the same. Vortech / Paxton will take a little bit more time to to install than a ATI-P1SC. The centrifical units are nice, easy to install and a safe with sock internals, just make sure you get a good tune.

You also have he Roots/Screw S/C kits avaliable. These units make monster low end power and torque. I have not used these type of kits, but friends have had them in their cars and I like it. I like this style of S/C, but I would want forged internals before I use it. You will have to replace your intake, to install it...

Keep doing reaseach, check around on other boards, see what other people are doing with similar model years.

Good Luck

97whitecobra

Established Member
thanks raider for your reply do you have any track times? those numbers sound pretty good to me, time for a p1sc!

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
No track times yet... I went to Milan last week, but faild to buy DR's in time. There is no point in running with the stock tires in my opinion. It's like trying to drag race on ice... :D

Where do live in MI? I live south of Detroit.

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
Originally posted by raider187
There is no point in running with the stock tires in my opinion. It's like trying to drag race on ice...

No kidding. I'm went to the track on Friday and did nothing, but prove how good I can spin the tires in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. To make a long story short, the DR's will be here tomorrow.

WhiteCobra...if you want to keep the intake, I would go with a either Vortech, Paxton or ATI. I chose the P1-SC 'cause I bought the complete kit from a 3rd party for cheap. As with internals, if you run 8lbs or less with a conservative tune, you'll be fine. Just start saving a little here and there just in case.

My advice would be to call around and see what shops offer what brands. Usually, they will give you a fairly accurate quote. Then compare it to online sources. Realize though that most shops won't give you any kind of warranty unless they sell you the product. Just a thought.

97whitecobra

Established Member
Snakedriver, thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the p1sc over Vortech right now but need more pro & cons if there is any, or are they just about as reliable?

Last edited:

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
The battle between supercharger manufacturers are bigger then ever. Each one offers a twist to their setups so that none use exactly the same technology. There are pros and cons to each setup available for your car. If you could tell us what you plan on doing with your ride whether it be a daily driver, road racer, drag racer, or a combo of all of them I could give you my opnion. If you talk to the companies themselves they will try and sell you on their features and why it's better then what "Brand X" has. The same will go for the owners of each individual system.

Razor.

97whitecobra

Established Member
Razor, thanks for your help, it'll be a summer daily driver and see dragstrip 2 to 5 times per year. Look forward to your input let me know if you need any other info from me.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
Razor, thanks for your help, it'll be a summer daily driver and see dragstrip 2 to 5 times per year. Look forward to your input let me know if you need any other info from me.

Okay you have the same intentions with your car as I do. For a street application any of the Vortech, Procharger, or Paxton units will work great. Now seeing that you will be visiting the dragstrip, I reccomend the vortech unit with the aftercooler. The reason for this is Vortech's aftercooler is a water-to-air unit. It's plays a big factor at the dragstrip and can net you additional gains of 25-30rwhp by running ice in the unit itself.

Another advantage to the aftercooler system is that while you are sitting in the staging lanes, you can have ice in the cooler and have it circulating while you wait. It's a very simple process and only requires that you have a few bags of ice on hand for the day.

The aftercooler is a great unit for drag racers and that's why all of your fastest supercharged and turbo cars run one. You see with an air-to-air intercooler the maximum efficiancy can only provide maximum temperature drops equal to the weather it's surrounded in. What I mean is that if it's 80 degrees outside, an intercooler can't surpass that mark. Now with an aftercooler you can increase efficiany up to 200% of current ambient temps. So by adding ice to the aftercooler at the track you will pick up an additional 25-30hp at the wheels. Denser air equals more horsepower, and also greatly increases the safety factor on the motor (I.E. detonation).

So now we turn to what some would consider the downsides of an aftercooler. First you will need to relocate your battery to the trunk. The water box for the aftercooler will need that space under your hood where the battery currently resides. For me it wasn't a big deal because I wanted my battery in the trunk anyway. Better wieght transfer and less wieght on the nose.;-) The next thing is that you will incur more time installing the aftercooler than a traditional intercooler. The aftercooler is a very tight fit under the hood of our cobras and takes patience and time to do it right. The aftercooler is also a bit more expensive than the air-to-air intercooler.

So now you have the good and bad on aftercoolers. I will revert to the old saying "You get what you pay for". When it comes to a weekend warrior like myself, it was well worth the extra few dollars and time. Hope this helps you along with your decision.

Razor.

97whitecobra

Established Member
Good info. I'll have to price that because I thought that setup was pricey. I do understand that you get what you pay for though.
thanks again

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Personally I would only consider Vortec or Paxton. I agree with Razor on alot of his points. Aftercoolers or intercoolers between both companies, I think your splitting hairs. They both work well and have there draw backs. For what you want, a daily driver with occational track use. You seem to have the right idea. Look for reliable power vers max hp. You want something you can enjoy and love. I think any of the systems availible on the market can produce extremely high HP. It falls mostly in the tuners hand is what you get out of it. Look for a good Tuner just as much as your considering a S/C is the best advice I can give you.

And an intercooler is not a must have. I ran my Cobra for about a year without one. There are gains but mostly it aids in creating a more consitant tune. Tuners have to consider hot days and cold days in there tune and with a intercooler or aftercooler that is not as much of a concern. Basically a tuner can have closer tolorences due to the more consitant air temps. There are more areas it helps but I'm trying to explain it as simple as I can. If you can afford it buy it. To put it simply.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Originally posted by 99CobraSupercharged
Personally I would only consider Vortec or Paxton. I agree with Razor on alot of his points. Aftercoolers or intercoolers between both companies, I think your splitting hairs. They both work well and have there draw backs. For what you want, a daily driver with occational track use. You seem to have the right idea. Look for reliable power vers max hp. You want something you can enjoy and love. I think any of the systems availible on the market can produce extremely high HP. It falls mostly in the tuners hand is what you get out of it. Look for a good Tuner just as much as your considering a S/C is the best advice I can give you.

And an intercooler is not a must have. I ran my Cobra for about a year without one. There are gains but mostly it aids in creating a more consitant tune. Tuners have to consider hot days and cold days in there tune and with a intercooler or aftercooler that is not as much of a concern. Basically a tuner can have closer tolorences due to the more consitant air temps. There are more areas it helps but I'm trying to explain it as simple as I can. If you can afford it buy it. To put it simply.

I prefer the Air to Air I/C setup, it works, and it consistant. I'm in the same boat. I will see the drag strip a few times this year, but I don't have the ability to use ICE in the manor that "Razor" mentioned but I'm ok with that. I bought the Procharger because it was self contained, no tapping the oil pan. Looking back on that decision, I made that into a bigger deal than it actually is. My other factor was cost, I picked up a complete kit for about 4k. It was very slightly used, and I got on Ebay. It contained MAF, Injectors, gauges, header and a hpipe. Shop around, all the kits are mentioned (ATI, Vortech, Paxton) are good for daily driving.

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
more pros and cons

WhiteSnake...I hope we're not saturating you with all this info, but just like everyone has basically said, each of these 3 centrifigal supercharger manufacturers are all good for the street and occasional strip. You will find out that each person will kinda "prop" there own setup because...well...they like it so much. They all produce relatively equal power gains and have been proven to work well. Now I don't have experience with vortech or paxton, but to lay down a some of pros and cons (which I hope people add to) here goes:

Procharger: -(pro) oil is self contained on SC units. -(pro/con) The blower whine is louder then most other units, meaning people know what you got ( I like it, some don't) (pro/con) No ice to deal with (just turn the key and go, but if your going to the track, it nice to be able to keep the unit cool with and aftercooler) - (con) I've had some tuning issues with my procharger, but it's the car's acceptence of the unit, not the system.

Vortech -(pro/con) aftercooled (previously mentioned) -(pro/con) Need to relocate battery. (it's an extra $150-$200, but it gives about a 1% change in weight distribution anyway) -(con) More expensive (again, you get what you pay for)

The list is not nearly complete, but basically, it's the major differences. What 99Cobra touched on, but none of us have really discussed is the fact that you don't even need an intercooler/aftercooler. Yes, they are good to have to keep the air flow at a relatively consistent temp, but it's not a necessity. If you're just going for the occasional track visit and want a few extra horses for the road, a simple head unit might be all you need. If you do this, you will need to retard the timing (Votech MSD retard timing box) or with a tune/flip chip, but you can always add the "cooling" later down the road. I guess it comes down to your budget. if you're going to have a shop do an install and tune reserve an extra $2000. If you're going to do the install and get a shop to tune it. Factor in $500 for an initial hour or so for the tune and at least another $250 for more time/chip burning etc.. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions..well..keep them coming.

Last edited:

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
George...how's the engine destruction project going...I'm gonna start the pool...I got $5 on 18psi.

97whitecobra

Established Member
thanks again, $2000 for the install! Wow! I guess I figured about 1K. So if I get a Procharger, get the P1SC? and if I get a Vortech, which model? Is there only one for my application?

finally got a sig. now

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeDriver97
George...how's the engine destruction project going...I'm gonna start the pool...I got $5 on 18psi.

Well "Project Grenade" is still in it's theory stage. We haven't actually begun on re-tuning it yet. It's more of a time related issue then anything. I have been really busy lately and haven't been by the shop. I'll try and give you a heads up on when we will start the destruction process. Maybe you can stop by and hang out.

Razor.:beer:

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
thanks again, $2000 for the install! Wow! I guess I figured about 1K. So if I get a Procharger, get the P1SC? and if I get a Vortech, which model? Is there only one for my application?

finally got a sig. now

Well for the Vortech there are a few different ways you can do it. The cobra kit is called an "SC" trim. Basically that's an s-trim blower designed for the cobra specifically. What they did is modify the impellar so that it doesn't spin as fast as the standard s-trim. The Standard s-trim is what the GT's use. The GT's have a shorter redline and the boost curve is much more aggressive than the "SC" due to the shorter rpm range.

I have the GT spec S-trim on my cobra. The reason behind this is it's impellar. On my cobra the boost comes allot quicker and by redline there is more of it. I am making a little over 14psi with the aftercooler right now. My unit started life as an SC-trim but was sent back to vortech for the GT impellar swap.

Since you are only looking for moderate power, the SC trim will be fine for you. There are other blower trims that will also work, but you do not have the desire for that kind of power at this time.:-D Check Vortech's site out, it has allot of good info.

Razor.

Users who are viewing this thread