Blower pulleys

ford_lightning

Established Member
Blower Pulleys

Recently i have seen a lot of discussion about pulleys. I have seen on some web site that u should get the lower pulleys and other say get the upper. Can u get both, and if not which ones would u suggest

TrueBlueSVT

Established Member
You can change both...but you should change your idler pulleys if you change the upper pulley, otherwise the belt will slip alittle. I just changed the lower pulley because of ease, and because I've heard of a few people messing up their blowers when using a puller on the upper pulley.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Originally posted by TrueBlueSVT
I just changed the lower pulley because of ease, and because I've heard of a few people messing up their blowers when using a puller on the upper pulley.

That is what I heard too. I would just stick to crank pulleys.

1fastslamdsg

Established Member
unless or going to have a pro do it for you stick with the bottom pulley's. Having to replace the blower bearing is to expensive and will not be covered on warranty

SNKBITE

Established Member
You do NOT have to change the ilder on a Lightning if you install
an upper pulley. I know only a few that have done so, and it is only because they wanted to install the Metco double idler, which is a quality piece.
If someone told you you HAD to change ilders they don't know $hit about Lightnings....I do suggest that you change the lower and then if you feel comfortable with it you can always go to a 1,2,or 3 pound upper in conjunction with it at a later time. Use the correct Gatorback belt and you will have NO problems. I had a 6 pound lower with a 1 pound upper and never had a belt slippage issue using a 4080665 Gatorback.
Marc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread