blower making crunchy sound?

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
Ok so i just noticed today that my blower is making a not so friendly sound. It sounds like its crunchy but not really loud and the car is running fine. The car has 35k on it and i just changed my S/C oil about 2 months ago, i replaced it with Royal Purple 10w30, I read somewhere on here that it would be ok. A buddy of mine and fellow cobra owner said that it might be the bearings going out. Does anyone have any input about the sound and what may be causing it? I know its coming from the blower because i put my head right about the blower and and its def coming from it.

Thanks guys.
chris

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
could be the coupler in the snout
take the belt off and see how much play you have

dscn1400h.jpg

pic is an M90 Eaton but ours looks the same
as you can see, it's a plastic part...

Last edited:

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
its sounds more like its coming from the back side of the blower. and is this part known to give and create the sound im hearing? Also, is it safe to drive as long i as dont get into boost?

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
It could be the rear bearing, the ones that supports the rotors. Is this blower ported? I only ask because I remember when I first started porting mine and put it all back together I didnt clean the bearing out good enough and heard the noise.

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
no its not ported, got 35k miles on it, but they are some hard miles. I changed the S/C oil about two months ago and i put royal purple 10w30 in it cause i read on here that it would be fine, not sure if this is the problem or if the parts are just getting worn, cause i run a 2.76 on it, and again i run the car hard 75% of the time i drive it. This may just be a sign that its time for a Posi port

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
If you have time I would pull the belt off and spin the blower by hand and see if you can hear the noise. I am sure it wont be as noticable but you never know....either way you need the posi port.

Users who are viewing this thread