Blow thru?

01Cobra896

Established Member
Just wondering something. Just got my setup running. I have a Vortech V-2 with the Aftercooler. Can it be converted to a blow-thru design? I am thinking it can with a newer 05+ style MAF. Has anyone done this? Right now I am still draw thru with a SCT BA-2800 and have zero issues for now.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
Because running VTA rocks.

especially with the new big red

bigred002gv4.jpg
...:rockon:

Last edited:

TClark22

Established Member
ya if ur having no issues i wouldnt change.

i actually just changed my procharger setup to a draw thru because of how crappy the maf reading was on the blow thru setup. but i do miss my cool BOV sound.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
ya if ur having no issues i wouldnt change.

i actually just changed my procharger setup to a draw thru because of how crappy the maf reading was on the blow thru setup. but i do miss my cool BOV sound.

thats because you probably put it in the wrong place.

TClark22

Established Member
thats because you probably put it in the wrong place.

o'rly?

we had it in 2 places...fenderwell where procharger puts it with their kit and on the intake pipe between the fender hole and the TB...kinda like stock.

trust me we tried to get it to work everywhere but we just got too much turbulent air.

WDW MKR

Established Member
o'rly?

we had it in 2 places...fenderwell where procharger puts it with their kit and on the intake pipe between the fender hole and the TB...kinda like stock.

trust me we tried to get it to work everywhere but we just got too much turbulent air.

Turbulence means it wan't in a proper location or the sensor wasn't good quality. The MAF needs a certain amount of straight pipe both upstream and downstream of the sensor. Housing diameter will also effect resolution.

Blow thru is generally easier to tune when running a good sensor in the correct orientation.

SVTContique

o'rly?

Did you ever try turning the MAF? at some angles it gets turbulent air.

My MAF works great and its in the fenderwall.

TClark22

Established Member
Did you ever try turning the MAF? at some angles it gets turbulent air.

My MAF works great and its in the fenderwall.

yes we tried to do everything.

and we had it set up so it had like 3-4 inches of straight pipe b4 the maf and after the maf.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm running a LMAF with a MAFia in a blow through set up. It works really well. I have the sensor in a straight peice of pipe that runs through the fenderwell. I used the flange from VMP Tuning because it looks a lot cleaner then the big black housing. I'm thinking with my next set up of going to the 05+ style sensor. A local tuner used the slot style on a twin turboed 65 Mustang and said it was a breeze to tune.

THAITED

Established Member
If you like the sound then change it but you need tune. Some guy here did it and he said it drives better. No erratic idling and etc.

Scrooloose

Established Member
I have a Blow thru PMAS MAF on an Procharged 03 GT and have heard you need to position it right to get the correct reading. Its in the fenderwell but i am not sure where to clock it at. Anybody have any suggestions. I am getting some detonation and have been rotating it but cant seem to find an ideal spot so i can safely get it on the dyno and get it tuned right.

WDW MKR

Established Member
I have a Blow thru PMAS MAF on an Procharged 03 GT and have heard you need to position it right to get the correct reading. Its in the fenderwell but i am not sure where to clock it at. Anybody have any suggestions. I am getting some detonation and have been rotating it but cant seem to find an ideal spot so i can safely get it on the dyno and get it tuned right.

It needs to be clocked in the position for which it was tuned. Some MAF sensors are more sensitive than others, but the best position is always that by which the MAF Xfer was built.

Scrooloose

Established Member
I sent the MAF transfer sheet to the tuner and he sent me a revised tune but he told me i needed to rotate the MAF in 1/8th turn increments to see if it would stop the detonation. I just dont seem to be having any luck. One spot the car idles kinda rough and detonates but all the others still cause detonation to the point i would be afraid to run it on the dyno. Thanks for your help.

WDW MKR

Established Member
If it's detonating, then some is wrong with the tune or possibly the car. Something is causing it to go lean or command too much spark (or both). Datalog the car with the MAF clocked in one position and have the tuner work from there, making future changes to the tune without adjusting the MAF.

Do you have bends immediately before and/or after the MAF? It would seem so if the MAF is so sensitive to orientation and the tuner is wanting you to constantly rotate it. If so, I would try to clock the MAF so that the electronics are inserted perpendicularly 90* from the inside and outside curves of the bend. This is in an attempt to split the different between the accelerated air on the outside of the bend and the slower moving air on the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread