Blow off valves/waste gates

2000 gt

Established Member
Hey guys had a question for all vortech users. Car is a 99 cobra with a t trim vortech. The intake pipe consists of an sct mass air and a k and n filter. The Anderson power pipe I have has two holes drilled in it with two separate Bosch blow off valves (maybe ones a waste gate I'm not really sure). Anyway I'm just wondering what you guys are running and if there's a way I can get a new pipe and run one tial blow off valve. Any pictures and ideas link. What ever would be appreciated

01yellercobra

Established Member
They're probably both blow off valves. My guess would be one wasn't enough so a second one was added. It's not hard to pick up another piece of pipe and the flange welded on for something like a Tial BOV. That's what I'm going to be running. However, I'm guessing your boost level is around 10psi if you need more BOV so I would look into an intercooler set up as well.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

SilverSteed

Established Member
Def. look into an intercooler. If running one and staying draw through you'll likely need a BPV before the intercooler and one after.

That being said, look into a blow through conversion. Makes the car run like stock. The recirculated air from the BPV creates turbulence in the intake pipe and confuses the MAF in draw through. This happens most severely under high RPM low throttle situations
e.g. highway

coposrv

Established Member
If the power pipe is for the blower inlet the holes are not for a BOV or a wastegated setup. If it is post blower the 2 holes may have been used for 2 smaller BOVs where one was not enough.

2000 gt

Established Member
Yea the pipe is for the supercharger inlet. And the two bov are in that pipe. Thanks for the help guys. But the hole intercooler before and after the intercooler confuse me a bit?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm going to guess that you have a draw through set up. That would mean the BOV's are connected to the outlet pipe and the power pipe. Can you post pics?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

2000 gt

Established Member
im going to try and post pics tonight best way i can describe it is that right after the air filter and the maf there are two holes driller before the vortech supercharger. those two holes have two bov that are connected through a series of vacuum hoses then the blower than the pipe to the throttle body

coposrv

Established Member
Yeah, pictures would help. The only thing that would make sense is if the holes were there to accept bypassed metered air. Before the blower there will be nothing more that atmospheric pressure.

Stanger00

Established Member
There should be 3 nipples welded onto the power pipe. One is for a hose coming off of the IAC, one is for a hose coming off of the driverside valve cover and the other is for the Bosch bypass valve.

I had a draw thru setup before and I had the Bosch BPV hooked up after my intercooler and I had another Vortech mini race bypass valve welded on after the intercooler. They both worked fine for 11-12psi. I also had the IAC hose hooked up to the power pipe and the driverside valve cover hose hooked up to the power pipe because that's how a draw thru car is tuned AFAIK.

Captured2005-11-1200002.jpg

Captured2005-11-1200001.jpg

Edit: stop confusing yourself OP those are not blow off valves. You have bypass valves hooked up because the air is being vented back into the inlet of your supercharger. A blow off valve will vent to atmosphere. If you were to hook up a blow off valve with a draw thru MAF you will have drivability issues. What you have hooked up sounds fine but I'd imagine one of those bypass valves are causing MAF wash.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread