Blow off Valve on the Powerstroke

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Does anyone in here have a blow off valve for their diesel?? i went to our local shop and they said it would have to be custom made by bully dog?? and that it would be around $400!! I just wanted to get your alls input. thanks

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
because i don't know if it is just the new psd or what but when i get on the gas and the turbo spools up and then i let off of the pedal, it makes a back pressure noise that my friend (owns diesel pulling tractors and builds pulling motors for trucks, so hes knows what he is talking about) said that the stock wastegate is not big enough and that there is no where for the pressure to go,so when i let off the pedal it creates a vaccum and the turbo tries to suck the air in backwards, and that can lead to excessive heat, mealting the turbo, and snapping the turbine and fins. So he said i should get a banks big head and put a blow off valve on it so that i get consistant psi. and plus i just think it would be cool. no one around where i live has one and i thought it would be a pretty neat custom piece for my truck. IDK, thats just my opinnion.

*My other friend has a 06 king ranch and it makes the same noise. I think it is becasue the 05's and up are using the same downpipe and wastegate as the older 7.3 turbo trucks and they only run like 10-14 psi. and my truck stock ran between 25-28 psi. i don't know????

Last edited:

PSD

Established Member
the 6oh's dont use any of the same turbo parts period. They are completely different engines and they use a vgt turbo. I dont know of anyone running a bov, just better wg actuators is about it. If your wg spring is weak it could be prematurely blowing open causing you to lose some boost.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Thanks PSD. Hopefully by the end of today my ps will be breathing alittle better. going in to the shop to get a 4 or 5 inch exhaust from bully dog. ill let u all know how it goes. thanks

Last edited:

PSD

Established Member
i wasnt paying attn when i originally posted, again you dont ahve wastegate so dont worry about wg stuff i talked about in post above. Have fun, 6oh's can be made to run with the right stuff.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Well, i just got the Bully Dog 4 inch exhaust on my truck with a five inch chrome tip. Looks really nice and real mean. The only complaint that i have is that it is basically as loud as my stock exhaust?? I thought it would have been louder???

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
PSD said:
are you still running a muffler?

Yes, i am running exactly what came with the kit, plus a 5inch tip. I was thinking about cutting off the cat and just putting a replacement piece of pipe in instead . But i hear that without the cat the trucks do not run as well?? My friend has an 06 king ranch 6.0L and he cut the muffler off and it made it sound like a gas truck, almost exactly like a dodge hemi. And thats not what i want, you know. I want it to still sound like a diesel but just be louder. :shrug:

PSD

Established Member
6oh's sound wierd since they have a variable gemetry (vgt) turbo. No matter what you do to them they will always sound similar to a gasser. Cutting the cat out isnt a bad idea either, its just a source of backpressure and diesels like free flow.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
PSD said:
6oh's sound wierd since they have a variable gemetry (vgt) turbo. No matter what you do to them they will always sound similar to a gasser. Cutting the cat out isnt a bad idea either, its just a source of backpressure and diesels like free flow.

Cut the cat out yesterday. I thought they would be alittle better flowing through there, but i can't even see light through it. Sounds alot better. Loud whistle at low rpm and a nice rumble when i get into her. Thanks. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread