block advice

blackstallion19

Established Member
So I am the process of the rebuild aand I have been calling local shops for the cost to resurface and bore the block as well install the internals. But between the 3 there was almost a 500$ difference. So my question is what should I be paying to have this work done? Again I have the parts so do not include that cost and I will be pullling the motor myself

Toasty

Established Member
Ask around within the performance community and find out who does the best work and then pay that price.

The good shops tend to know they are good and charge more. Not always 100% true, but good work usually means higher prices. Skilled machinists dont come cheap, and the equipment in a engine machine shop isnt cheap either.

Also, what questions the shop asks you when u take your pieces in is very important in determining if the shop knows what they are doing. Different ring packages usually require a slightly different finish hone on the cylinder walls. A good shop will ask you a bunch of questions about rings, pistons, head gasket selection, etc.

I sure hope you are getting your rotating assembly precision balanced. Do not skip this step. This will add a few hundred bucks to your bill.

F8tlByte

colorchngnSVT
Established Member
I think it should all cost about 1200 maybe 1500 with balanceing?? I really am not 100% on that though, hope someone else chimes in

Toasty

Established Member
That sounds alot more inline with what I would expect. More if you align hone your mains and index the block.

Good quality work costs money. Period. There are some shitty shops that charge high prices, so base your decision on more than the final bill. Go out to your local dragstrip/circle track and get to know some local racers - find out who they use.

I think it should all cost about 1200 maybe 1500 with balanceing?? I really am not 100% on that though, hope someone else chimes in

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
MV Performance and Pro-Line Performance...two of the premier engine builders in the SouthEast both want in the neighborhood of $1500 to machine, balance the internals and assemble a shortblock. That is the price of you bring the block and crank to the build.

Toasty

Established Member
MV Performance and Pro-Line Performance...two of the premier engine builders in the SouthEast both want in the neighborhood of $1500 to machine, balance the internals and assemble a shortblock. That is the price of you bring the block and crank to the build.

WHat about rods and pistons? ;) Rings? Bearings?

Thats a good price if they do good work.

Just remember gents, nothing in life is perfect. Good quality machine shops make mistakes, brand new parts can have manufacturing flaws, etc. I've seen brand new, fully assembled engines from reputable shops throw rods/spin bearings/not seat rings/etc within the first few miles of operation. Its rare, but it has happened. Some work was warranty-able and some wasnt.

It costs money to go fast.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
WHat about rods and pistons? ;) Rings? Bearings?

Thats a good price if they do good work.

Just remember gents, nothing in life is perfect. Good quality machine shops make mistakes, brand new parts can have manufacturing flaws, etc. I've seen brand new, fully assembled engines from reputable shops throw rods/spin bearings/not seat rings/etc within the first few miles of operation. Its rare, but it has happened. Some work was warranty-able and some wasnt.

It costs money to go fast.

Oh, that 1500 dollars is if you bring them a crank, a block and every internal piece needed. There is no way around it...parts and labor will run damn near $5000 dollars for a super high quality built shortblock with all the insurance pieces. For a Pro-Motion 750 tranny, a Pro-Line built teksid shortblock with freshening the heads and all the trimmings installed is running 10,000 dollars.

I spared no expense and did this engine right and it will cost $7500 installed. Youre right...gotta pay to play.

Users who are viewing this thread