Blinking yellow traction control icon

farmboy90

Established Member
So on the freeway today I was doing about 75 mph. I spun up the rpms and dropped it into 2nd gear. A flashing yellow traction control icon came on. I've never seen this before. It went away after about 1-2 seconds. Anyone know what this means?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Did you break the tires loose? If so then thats why your TC light was flashing.

farmboy90

Established Member
I break the tries loose all the time and I've never seen this flashing light. Let me go see if the manual says anything about that.

ObieFox

Established Member
You downshifted from 6th into 2nd at 75 mph on the highway?

If the RPMs were not matched very closely, I would expect the tires to lock up briefly when the clutch is released. I would assume the advance trac was just reacting to that....

farmboy90

Established Member
All I could really find was near the bottom of page 171. It says:

"The stability control light temporarily illuminates on engine startup and flashes when a driving condition activates the stability system."

I find that odd since I didn't feel any slippage at all when I dumped the clutch today. And I've also driven the car sideways quite a bit without ever seeing this light come on.

Snoopy49

Established Member
PRINCIPLES OF OPERATION
The traction control system helps avoid drive wheel spin and loss of traction.
If your vehicle begins to slide, the system applies the brakes to individual wheels and, when needed, reduces engine power at the same time. If the wheels spin when accelerating on slippery or loose surfaces, the system reduces engine power in order to increase traction.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
that light flashing was a result of you driving like a maniac....6th to 2nd? wow....I usually will go 6th to 4th, then 4th to 2nd if necessary....

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I've gone 6th to 2nd in my car before, of course, that was after cruising around 55.

farmboy90

Established Member
I doubt I was in 6th. I find that gear essentially useless. You need to be going about 80 mph first. The rpms just ride way too low for me until then. Even at 80mph the rpms are about 1600 or so.

Anyway was just curious if anyone ever saw that light before. It's very easy to overwhelm the tires and I've never seen it once until today. Sounds like it isn't meaningful at all.

rwboring

Established Member
I doubt I was in 6th. I find that gear essentially useless. You need to be going about 80 mph first. The rpms just ride way too low for me until then. Even at 80mph the rpms are about 1600 or so.

Anyway was just curious if anyone ever saw that light before. It's very easy to overwhelm the tires and I've never seen it once until today. Sounds like it isn't meaningful at all.

hell if I'm in town I'll hold 6th till 40... and honestly at 750rpm it pulls right out LOL

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, but I ran it up to about 5,000 rpm before doing that. I find that dropping to 3rd isn't quite as awesome as dropping to 2nd. :)

Wasn't the guy over-revving the piss out of the motor? I thought first gear topped out at 60-65MPH - going to second gear at 75MPH may have induced engine-brake-over-rev....... Thoughts?

Wildman113

Established Member
If you didn't match revs perfectly and released the clutch quickly, you probably caused the rear tires to either slow down or speed up (break loose)for a brief second while the engine speed and wheel speed synchronized for the change to 2nd gear.

The traction control sees this as a wheel accel/decel event in which the rear tires are going slower or faster than the front tires, and flashes the light.

farmboy90

Established Member
Yeah, sounds like that is what happened. Just interesting that I've never seen it before.

I'll keep an eye out for it a little more now that I know what it is.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
That's all it was Farmboy. I had it happen to me with my wife in the car, did a nice 2-3 pull, and at about 90 when I banged 3rd, the tires came lose for a split second and I saw the light flash. I felt mine pull power though haha.

Users who are viewing this thread