BLinking CEL under load

bfoos59

Established Member
2013 gt500. When the engine under load (eg going uphill) and rpm is 1500 or less, CEL starts blinking, meaning the engine is misfiring. If I shift into 5th gear, relieving the load, after a little bit the CEL goes out. So I can really the DTC codes. Any ideas!

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
2013 gt500. When the engine under load (eg going uphill) and rpm is 1500 or less, CEL starts blinking, meaning the engine is misfiring. If I shift into 5th gear, relieving the load, after a little bit the CEL goes out. So I can really the DTC codes. Any ideas!
I think the blinking CEL indicates "Safe Mode." I wouldnt be driving it or putting it under any load until you resolve this issue. I would suggest taking it to a shop or if you want to do this yourself, get an HPTuners MPVI3 so you can use the scanner app to look up the DTCs.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Engine under load at 1500rpm?
What happens when you just drive it normally?
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
In every car I've had a blinking CEL means knock and detonation is occuring, stop what you are doing because engine failure is imminent.
If you’re trying to accelerate from 1500 in top gear the blinking is an idiot light IMHO.
Down shift to 4th and enjoy that blown V8 is what that light means.
-J

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
People don't realize that high load and low rpm is engine breaking territory. Bearings don't like it, combustion chambers don't like it, it's not good for temperatures... Get those rpms above 3K when ya feed her all the onions.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Is this a tuned vehicle or factory? If factory, low load blinking would indicate something is off…if aftermarket, I would suspect the tune first…

It shouldn’t do this on a factory vehicle….

bfoos59

Established Member
People don't realize that high load and low rpm is engine breaking territory. Bearings don't like it, combustion chambers don't like it, it's not good for temperatures... Get those rpms above 3K when ya feed her all the onions.
I would think I should be able to cruise down the highway at 60mph (1500 rpm) in 6th gear.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I would think I should be able to cruise down the highway at 60mph (1500 rpm) in 6th gear.
Is it harder for you to pedal a bike that's in the highest gear or in the lowest gear?

If you stomp the gas in 6th gear the engine is working extremely hard to reach the desired engine speeds.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
While I don’t agree, what you are saying is that light throttle in 6th at 1500rpm is causing CEL? As in just enough to maintain that speed or are you trying to pass and not downshift and too much throttle causes the CEL?
In the second scenario just downshift to fifth or install 3.73s and some drag radials. :)
-J

bfoos59

Established Member
If you’re trying to accelerate from 1500 in top gear the blinking is an idiot light IMHO.
Down shift to 4th and enjoy that blown V8 is what that light means.
-J
Maybe I’m not familiar enough with the car. I would think if I’m traveling at 60 in top gear and the car starts to go up a hill or something it should be able to do that without a problem

LS WUT

Established Member
I’m no expert in the matter. However when I took my GT500 for the Route 66 trip. Whenever I approached a hill, or anything of that sort I dropped it to 5th gear. Those 3.31 gears are long as hell. As @Relaxed Chaos mentioned earlier. High gear, and low RPM throttle punches is No Bueno. I knew a guy who did it to his cobra a few times on the highway his bearings left the chat. I will admit the blinking CEL is strange to me. Don’t think I’ve ever had that happen yet.

01yellercobra

Established Member
This ain't a big block or a diesel. 1500 is way too low. If you want to cruise at 60 then leave it in 5th. You can't treat these engines like old school big blocks.

Swap the COPs and plugs from 1 and 4 other cylinders. If the codes follow the swap they're bad. If they don't then try the injectors.

And let the engine rev a little.

MG0h3

Established Member
So are we saying that Ford produced a vehicle that fails under moderate load?

Doubtful. Unless this is some sort of overboost vs load CEL that comes on but again, seriously doubt it that exists.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

bfoos59

Established Member
This ain't a big block or a diesel. 1500 is way too low. If you want to cruise at 60 then leave it in 5th. You can't treat these engines like old school big blocks.

Swap the COPs and plugs from 1 and 4 other cylinders. If the codes follow the swap they're bad. If they don't then try the injectors.

And let the engine rev a little.
I’ve swapped the injectors and coil packs. have installed new plugs, and got a new tune. This week doing a compression test. Have also decided to put in 3:73 gears.

Users who are viewing this thread