Blind officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
Somewhat long, but interesting and aggravating read.

I think these days, Police officers are becoming too dependant on radar guns / photo radar. In the case of my buddy Ryan, It could be a good thing.

The other night, Ryan, my other friend Tucker were heading out to a party. I was following them with Sheldon, he was driving. Anyways, The road to the place is 70km/h and Ryan had his truck (97 Sierra 305) to the governor (~165km/h). Sheldon and I were following and Sheldon had his truck (05 F-150 5.4) to the governor as well. Then blue lights flash in my eyes. Panic with both Sheldon and Ryan ensues.

Ryan proceeded to bite the bullet as the cop was turning around to chase, and he pulled over. Sheldon just passed Ryan with the truck still flat out.

Freaking out, and probably against better judgement Ryan got out of his truck! She gestured for him to sit back down kindly. I suppose getting out made it seem like he took off his seatbelt. However, he was never wearing it in the first place. Anyways, she approached the truck and asked him the same old crap we've all heard. How fast were you going? He said... "oh about 100" She responded "oh really? well, something must be wrong with your speedometer because I clocked you at..."

Get ready for this everyone. Ryan is waiting to hear "160"...

"...I clocked you at 120" Oh my. Well, she is only off by 40km/h, right? So he sheepishly said, "oh..." and tried not to laugh at the number she had just said.

After she came back from her cruser, she had a little yellow gift for him. This thing was a ****ing gift, as I saw it with my own two eyes. A ticket for 15 over! This boggles my mind... Ryan went from going so fast you're REQUIRED to go to court and get fines/punishment at their discretion, to the LOWEST ticket you can possibly get! $89 measley dollars.

Wow, if that isn't a lucky break, I don't know what is. All we could say is she is one nice officer. I think part of her discretion is due to the fact that she didn't get him on radar (I don't know why, as the crusers always have it running) as the ticket had the "Estimated" box checked.

I know I wouldn't have been that lucky in the Mustang. :p

As for the officers here, have you ever been unfortunate enough to not be able to prove a certain person was speeding, just as this officer did?

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
Oh, I also wanted to ask, do you officers keep an internal record type of thing to keep an eye on people like Ryan when he's gotten lucky like this, and there is obvious suspicious stuff going on. Sheldon is also freaking because he fears she got his plate number, can she write him a ticket still, or will officers just keep an eye on him?

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
It was the truck Trust me....... (probably that truck goes to 160....but its more like 70 mph top speed :-D )

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
This didnt happen in the United States!! In the U.S. we are trained to make the visual estimate of speed.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
This didnt happen in the United States!! In the U.S. we are trained to make the visual estimate of speed.

Seriously? Would a visual estimation of speed hold up in court?
You're in CFL, right? I need to paint my car a color that doesn't look so fast(LOL) :-D

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I am in Tampa, I have never been in the Canadian Football League:shrug: Actually when I was radar certified back in my days with the S.O., we were required to do a visual estimation of speed and confirm it with the radar. So, yes the visual estimation holds up in court, often better than radar itself.

RustyRyan

Banned
I think that's pretty stupid. Police officers are only human. And like every human, they have a long list of flaws. No fair that they should be given that kind of power.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I am in Tampa, I have never been in the Canadian Football League:shrug: Actually when I was radar certified back in my days with the S.O., we were required to do a visual estimation of speed and confirm it with the radar. So, yes the visual estimation holds up in court, often better than radar itself.

Canadian Football League? Too funny. I meant Central Florida!
I guess I'll need to be good after my visit to Herman next month. :beer:

Very interesting on the visual estimation thing.....

FordSVTFan

Established Member
RustyRyan said:
I think that's pretty stupid. Police officers are only human. And like every human, they have a long list of flaws. No fair that they should be given that kind of power.

What are you 5 years old? "No Fair, No Fair, No Fair"!!! I can hear you stomping your feet as you type :rolleyes:

L.E.O.s who receive radar training receive visual speed estimation training. And in order to pass the radar course and receive your certification you must estimate the speed of multiple vehicles within +/-3mph.

So it has nothing to do with being flawed or not flawed. It has to do with training and accuracy.

BTW, L.E.O.s have a lot more power than related to visually estimating someones speed :bored:

stellar591

BlackChrome Saleens FTMFW
Established Member
A few years ago this happened to me. I was in a 55 mph zone with my cruise set at 60 mph and no vehicles around me for comparison. Cop was coming from the opposite direction and stopped, turned, and pulled me. I was baffled because this was one of the few times I wasn't absolutely flying. Had no idea what I had done wrong. The officer asked how fast I was going and I told him my cruise was set at 60. He looked at me like I had just slapped his mother. Said he visually estimated me at 75 mph, wrote the ticket, and said goodbye.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Senkak said:
Canadian Football League? Too funny. I meant Central Florida!
I guess I'll need to be good after my visit to Herman next month. :beer:

Very interesting on the visual estimation thing.....

I live really close to Hermann :poke: But my duties dont include me writing traffic citations :shrug:

RustyRyan

Banned
FordSVTFan said:
What are you 5 years old? "No Fair, No Fair, No Fair"!!! I can hear you stomping your feet as you type :rolleyes:

Let me tell you what's not fair;

I stopped at a red light and got hit from behind by a car going 45 mph. For one, the driver was on a suspended license since he was on such heavy medication for a heart condition, but also wasn't paying attention to the big red Thunderbird in front of him.

When the police arrived, he produced a PBA card and I got issued a ticket for Careless Driving. The judge actually laughed at such an absurd ticket and found me not guilty without me saying a word. Yet that officer will never be punished.

Human error of that nature in the police dept is "not fair", it's also "careless", "inattentive", "negligent" and "irresponsible". Pick what ever term helps you sleep at night and sounds more mature. :bored:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
RustyRyan said:
Let me tell you what's not fair;

I stopped at a red light and got hit from behind by a car going 45 mph. For one, the driver was on a suspended license since he was on such heavy medication for a heart condition, but also wasn't paying attention to the big red Thunderbird in front of him.

When the police arrived, he produced a PBA card and I got issued a ticket for Careless Driving. The judge actually laughed at such an absurd ticket and found me not guilty without me saying a word. Yet that officer will never be punished.

Human error of that nature in the police dept is "not fair", it's also "careless", "inattentive", "negligent" and "irresponsible". Pick what ever term helps you sleep at night and sounds more mature. :bored:

You know what is funny? I dont believe you for a second. I know the NJ PBA system. I lived there for 20 years. I know what an officer will do when presented with a PBA card, even a family member card. You are obviously leaving out details to make your case sound more plausible. But for those of us who know the system will not believe an officer would risk his career to try to help someone out of a jackpot that could end his career.

I sleep fine at night. You really know nothing of me, if you think I need use words to sound mature, let alone "more" mature.

Once again I am glad you can move your rant in a totally different direction from this quote concerning visually estimating speed
RustyRyan said:

Wait right there while I call you a WHHHHHAAAAAMBULANCE :banana:

RustyRyan

Banned
Nope, no details missing. How I told it is exactly how it happened.

Oh wait, it was a female officer if that means anything, but as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't.

And you can laugh at me all you'd like, but I don't have to call you silly names or go off topic to argue with a guy like you.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
RustyRyan said:
Nope, no details missing. How I told it is exactly how it happened.

Oh wait, it was a female officer if that means anything, but as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't.

And you can laugh at me all you'd like, but I don't have to call you silly names or go off topic to argue with a guy like you.

You are exactly the one that went off topic. The topic was about visually estimating speed. That is when you decided to cry out "Not Fair"!!!

I didnt call you any "silly names" I suggested your assessment was childlike!

RustyRyan

Banned
That's just grand... heh heh.

You see, I went off topic on a tangent to explain my view, which you so astutely determined to be that of a 5 year old. However, you went off topic to do absolutely nothing. You didn't offer anything relevant.

And what details of the accident did I leave out, I got rear ended you tool. What do you think I left out? My going 45mph in reverse?!

And I'm so sorry that I know nothing of you... sorry that I didnt take into account your obviously deep thoughts and feelings. Do me a favor; cry a river, build a bridge and get over it. You sure you're not the female cop that gave me that ticket?

Last edited:

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
Thanks for your response SVTFan, Thats interesting to know :)

*gets shotgun* Now stop bickering in my thread you guys!! haha :p

FranticFocus05

Established Member
Lucky friend of yours, very lucky friend.

FordSVTFan I am am intern with the local sheriffs department and I am sure I could get the answer there but what kind of training do they put you though so you can learn to determine speed? You can shoot me a PM if you dont wana take this thread off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread