Blew out a spark plug

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
So my dad came up to my house to visit over the weekend and on his way home, his '02 HD F150 blows out a spark plug. After doing a little inspection and research, it looks like it'd be better and cheaper to just replace the head. Anyone know where I can come across a new head for this truck?

EnglishAdam

Established Member
FORDSVTPARTS is a supporting vendor on here, so you could try them first if you want a new cylinder head http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141765

Alternately, search on here for Timesert where you will find info on repairing what you already have.

I would make sure that you check/change all the plugs and not just the problem one whilst you are at it for peace of mind.

Good luck :beer:

jlauth

Established Member
So my dad came up to my house to visit over the weekend and on his way home, his '02 HD F150 blows out a spark plug. After doing a little inspection and research, it looks like it'd be better and cheaper to just replace the head. Anyone know where I can come across a new head for this truck?

NO,NO,NO, don't replace the head just have the threads helicoiled. This happens to a ton of Lightnings, and it happened to my car as well. I actually had a local shop do the fix because I didn't want to pay teh 300 bucks for the timesert kit. The guy just blew air into the engine and waited until the cylinder was experiencing valve overlap, and then all of the shavings were blown out of the exhaust valve.

The car has had no problems since, and I have sprayed the car since. This is a great fix and a lot of Lightning owners just go ahead and fix them all while the are at it.

flashlight

Established Member
It happened to my Lightning. I called JDM about it. They told me to use the insert kit from NAPA. I did all of mine. Make sure you get the NAPA kit. I have seen and used the other kits. They are no were as good as the NAPA kits. Its not exactly easy, but easer than changing heads. Bet it was one of the back 2 on the drivers side.

Lockmaster

School of Ruckus
Established Member
just happened to me today on my 00 lightning. not very cool. which one is the better route? the timesert or the helicoil?

BULLITT - 566

Established Member
Did any of you incurr any damage? I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago on my daily driver Mazda, surprised the hell out of me and it left a real nice dent in my hood. Had it all fixed and the car runs smooth..just about to turn over 167,000 miles (270,000 kilometers) on the drive home later today.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Follow up:

OK, so he ended up going the timesert route, and has been going strong for the last year. Now, he just blew another plug (different one)...are there better heads (i.e. more threads) to look into?

trendkilllx

Established Member
trickflow

I think trickflow makes heads that will work, they flow quite well but are pricey and might be overkill for a stock f150. Also not sure if they are smog legal depending on your state.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Lock N Stitch thread inserts are your best option.. Only ones made from Aluminum that i know of. Also approved by ford for out of warranty repairs. You can do them all, and never worry about them again. Also, with these inserts, you can torque the plugs to 27 ft-lbs, not the stock 14. They also dont effect the way heat is transfered from the plug, to the head like timecerts, and helicoils do.

Users who are viewing this thread