Blew out a plug... no shops time-sert?

MustangThief

Established Member
Well I blew a plug out of #3. It looked like it was cross-threaded last time they were changed. So... now I need some thread repair done.

No one I call has even heard of the time-sert kit, or the Full Torque Lock-N-Stitch. They all want to pull the head and helicoil it, which I'm not doing.

IF I have to pull the head, I'd probably go with the Lock-N-Stitch.

Anyone able to recommend a shop in Ohio that will do an over-the-fender spark plug thread repair?

I guess if I can't find ANYONE to do it without wanting to pull the head I'll bite the bullet and buy the damn 400$ Time-sert kit, which I really don't want to do seeing as this is ONE plug, and it was user-fault of why it blew. But if I have to I'll do it.

Comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
well i could do it with out pulling the head, but your gonna get all those fileings in the cylender. And your gonna need a seriously long dril bit and tap to get down the spark plug tubes. thats why ppl wana pull the head, to go from the other side.

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
I would go with the lock n stitch as it uses aluminum incerts.

I would also do all the plugs while you are at it.

I might be able to help, I have the lock n stitch kit, I could loan it to you for a deposit equal to the purchace price and shipping to you. You could pay for the incerts yourself and get them from lock n stitch. Then you could do the work and then send me back the kit and if there is no damage I will refund your deposit less a small $25 fee. That way you only pay for the incerts, shipping and the labor unless you install yourself. Let me know if I can help.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
That's a cool deal for you to offer up! :beer:

I'd also recommend the LnS, for the reason stated.

I'm pretty sure that Ford service changed their policy a few yrs ago and now use aluminum inserts only (in alum heads...) because of the heat transfer issue

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
I would go with the lock n stitch as it uses aluminum incerts.

I would also do all the plugs while you are at it.

I might be able to help, I have the lock n stitch kit, I could loan it to you for a deposit equal to the purchace price and shipping to you. You could pay for the incerts yourself and get them from lock n stitch. Then you could do the work and then send me back the kit and if there is no damage I will refund your deposit less a small $25 fee. That way you only pay for the incerts, shipping and the labor unless you install yourself. Let me know if I can help.

Really good guy for offering:beer:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Well I blew a plug out of #3. It looked like it was cross-threaded last time they were changed. So... now I need some thread repair done.

No one I call has even heard of the time-sert kit, or the Full Torque Lock-N-Stitch. They all want to pull the head and helicoil it, which I'm not doing.

IF I have to pull the head, I'd probably go with the Lock-N-Stitch.

Anyone able to recommend a shop in Ohio that will do an over-the-fender spark plug thread repair?

I guess if I can't find ANYONE to do it without wanting to pull the head I'll bite the bullet and buy the damn 400$ Time-sert kit, which I really don't want to do seeing as this is ONE plug, and it was user-fault of why it blew. But if I have to I'll do it.

Comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sorry to hear...how did you know you blew a plug, and under what conditions did it happen?

Jefe

Established Member
If youre in CA theres a guy selling a set of new heads for $280

[ame=http://www.socalstangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27410]SoCalStangs.com[/ame]

MustangThief

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for all the posts.

@03SVTCOBRA10TH: Thanks for the offer. I actually found a guy in PA willing to do the same thing on corral.net. I gave him a 500$ deposit, the kit will be here tomorrow, when he gets the kit back he is going to paypal me back the money -125$ rental and -shipping/paypal fees and the cost of one insert.

I'm going to be doing it Thursday with the head on the car. I'm only doing the one insert. If I did all 8, i'd pull the heads, and if I pull the heads, I want P&P heads. Lol

So yeah, if all goes well, this Thursday my cobe should be back on the road, terrorizing old men in corvettes!

MustangThief

Established Member
Sorry to hear...how did you know you blew a plug, and under what conditions did it happen?

I was at a light about 1/8 mile from my buddies house, just got the new Hoosiers put on so I took him for a spin. We turned a corner, I floored first, shifted to 2nd, and as soon as I popped the clutch out in 2nd and floored it I heard "POP!". So I thought, aw **** head gasket or something similar, but it ran "seemingly" fine. At least it ran 10x better than I thought it would after that. Parked it, heard air escaping out of the valve cover (passenger side). Pulled the plugs to find #3 closed with the top 3 threads smashed in.

I tried to run a chaser through it but it didn't do shit. I'm 99% sure I cross-threaded this plug last time I changed them over a year ago. I did my plugs without removing the TB and this time I noticed the extension has a slight tip to it without removing the TB for the #3. So it was my fault...

Should be fixed thursday though :)

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
No problem, I know that guy he is a good guy.

Best of luck!!

BTW if anyone needs to use the install kit/tools let me know, after I did my heads it is just sitting around collecting dust.

postalbunny

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread