blew my motor

canadiancobra

Established Member
well i took a 2h drive in my car on friday and decided to take my brother out for a burn pulling 4500rpm in 4th car stoped pulling let off the gas and the car stalled fiered back up then stalled again restartes runing like crap drove the 10k back to his place car was smoking pulled the plugs oil and aluminum shavings on one and oil in the throttle body really bad smoking on startup so im looking at a rebuild going to order a mmr 900rwhp short block 60lbs injectors and one of those new j@s knok controll systems smaller supercharger pully to get 600whp on 91 octane fuel and any odds and ends that i might need i figer the total bill will be between 7-8 grand by the time i am done with dyno time and a sct tuner my wife is not happy as i just got the car ond only put on 1200m but that is life I posted this under canadiancobra2 on friday as i could not log in and opened a new account

Last edited:

Anabolic

Banned
yeah that sucks but is good at the same time because you're rebuilding it!

it will be bettter the 2nd time... what does your afr look like @ 4500rpm?

SlowSVT

Established Member
600 hp on 91 octane takes you right on the ragged edge of detonation.

Better build a second motor your gunna need it.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

Agreed. I couldn't do it in alberta, no way you will make 600 on 91. I made 570 on 91 and 607 on 94 plus torco. Who tuned your car? wonder why it let go with such little boost...

Last edited:

Slow99x

Established Member
Agreed. I could do it in alberta, no way you will make 600 on 91. I made 570 on 91 and 607 on 94 plus torco. Who tuned your car? wonder why it let go with such little boost...

Really? Then why is there a few 600+ hp (Dynojet) cars here in AZ running 91 octane just fine?
A freind of mine made 622 RWHP at 17lbs on a KB 2.2 1st gen. He is a member on here too.
His is not the only example either

sxecobra

Established Member
You're luckythat hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake!

SlowSVT

Established Member
Really? Then why is there a few 600+ hp (Dynojet) cars here in AZ running 91 octane just fine?
A freind of mine made 622 RWHP at 17lbs on a KB 2.2 1st gen. He is a member on here too.

622 hp on a 4.6 running 17 lbs. That dyno gets 3 Pinocchio's.

At that boost level 575 is the norm.

runsonboost

Established Member
i know of 2 cars on cali 91 that made over 600 as well, its not impossible. My car made 590rwhp on 16psi on 91. However, I do agree that 600 will be a challenge, its not the norm to make that much on 91.

canadiancobra

Established Member

600 was just an estamate. What ever i can get with 17-18lbs of boost with a VERY safe tune and i will be using a mustang dyno so probably around 550. I can get 94 octane here but its a pain in the ass so i will stick with 91. I blew one with detonation so it wont be happening again

Last edited:

canadiancobra

Established Member
Agreed. I couldn't do it in alberta, no way you will make 600 on 91. I made 570 on 91 and 607 on 94 plus torco. Who tuned your car? wonder why it let go with such little boost...

Car was tuned by tecmotion when i got it. I just filled up at a small town and i think i might have gotten bad fuel. I have been driving the car fairly hard since i got it and its been great untill now

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

I won't argue that it can't be done. But it not the norm up here on a safe tune. My buddies car made 589 and that is most I have seen around my parts on 91. I personally wasn't going to try for 600 on 91 since I was already at 17-18* of timing. I had to put better fuel in and up my timing to 22* to hit over 600 up here in Alberta. There was a guy who made "622 rwhp" up here.... It ran high 11's @ 124 at the track and blew up a few weeks after it was tuned.

I have gone 4 years on the whipple @ 570-600+ RWHP and haven't had one issue with the motor and I am not easy on it by any means. Did I just get lucky?... nope I just put proper fuel and timing in for the octane I was running and the motor is lasting because of it. Sure you can make 600+ on 91 but for how long is the question....

My stock motor is running so good I swapped the whipple for a turbo. Now this will be the test to see how it will last. LOL

Last edited:

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Car was tuned by tecmotion when i got it. I just filled up at a small town and i think i might have gotten bad fuel. I have been driving the car fairly hard since i got it and its been great untill now

Thats sucks man, so what are your plans now?

SlowSVT

Established Member
600 was just an estamate. What ever i can get with 17-18lbs of boost with a VERY safe tune and i will be using a mustang dyno so probably around 550. I can get 94 octane here but its a pain in the ass so i will stick with 91. I blew one with detonation so it wont be happening again

I would plan on boosting the car between 15 - 16 psi on 91 octane to be safe. Even at that level the chassis on your vert will have a hard time coping with the torsion loads imposed by the engine. I would not push that car as hard as I would in a coup.

Good luck on the rebuild and keep up posted on your progress.

Russ :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread