Blew a plug yesterday

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I was driving the 02 L in the morning when I heard a pop sound and then a lot of louder popping sounds. I parked the truck in the parking lot I was in and had it towed. They said they need to pull the head at the Ford dealership and get it checked out. To do this they say they have to drop the engine out of the truck, have the head magnafluxed and all that crap and then sent to the machine shop for the repair. Total cost 4300 bucks. I am wondering if I can just pull the heads myself in the engine bay of the truck and swap on some ported 2v heads and resolve the problem altogether and have some good heads to go with the rest of the setup. Mai already did the blower swap so I know together we can do the work on the heads ourselves and come out paying around half for what ford wants to do.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Derek@Amazon said:
for 4300 id get a set of ported heads with a set of cams and do the work myself... but plan on having it down a few days its not a small job...

Couldn't have said it better.

Bootie

Established Member
I know most people who pop plugs just install a timecert thread insert or helicoil. I think they are the same thing. You can even put them in with the head still on the truck.

Ford dealerships are the devil.

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
I would do the "Timecert/Helicoil" in the driveway for a couple of buck$....
For $4300....I'd be calling JLP for a built shortblock!!!! Tell the Stealership
to KISS ur A$$!!!!

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
You don't magnaflux aluminum heads. Time for either the cheap way (timecert, Helicoil) or better upgraded heads.

Users who are viewing this thread