bleeding brakes

4camV8

Established Member
hey all. finally put on my new pads/rotors last nite. But while I was working, and the fluid was dripping out, i let the Master cylinder get dry. I filled it back up, reinstalled everything and bled the air out of the calipers. HOWEVER, the pedal is mush, and i have no brakes. So i assume there's air further up the system from when the MC went dry. My question is, do i just have to bleed the crap out of it now until that air is out? Or is this some sort of disaster? Thanks.

4camV8

Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
I'm thinking you need to bleed the MC.....

Yeah, that occured to me, but i am thinking as long as i bleed all four wheels, and bleed sufficiently to get the air from wherever it is all the way to the bleeder valves and out, i should be okay. (provided i don't let the MC run dry again:bash: )

I need consensus. In the meantime i'll cross my fingers. Thanks for the input!

GoatDaddy

I've only worked on brakes twice, and both times it was sufficient to bleed at the calipers only. But then again I never let the MC go dry.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
If you know what you are doing you shouldn't have to bleed them at all. You can actually clamp a portion of the caliper so it doesn't let air in at all. All you have to do is change out the pads then unclamp it. The system should still be under pressure. Ask about this for the next time.

4camV8

Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
If you know what you are doing you shouldn't have to bleed them at all. You can actually clamp a portion of the caliper so it doesn't let air in at all. All you have to do is change out the pads then unclamp it. The system should still be under pressure. Ask about this for the next time.

I'm not quite sure i follow you, but i had the lines disconnected. So i am pretty sure i'd have to bleed no matter what. I don't know if i mentioned that before.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Originally posted by 4camV8
I'm not quite sure i follow you, but i had the lines disconnected. So i am pretty sure i'd have to bleed no matter what. I don't know if i mentioned that before.

There should be some sort of piston on the caliper. If you take a clamp and close it first it keeps all the fluid in and the lines air tight. Once everything is back in place (new pads on and calipers intact) you take off the clamp. It should be exactly the same except for the clearence of the new pads.

Your car might be different. I'm pretty sure the designs are pretty close though.

Call somebody who specializes in brakes. They can explain it a bit better.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
you have a choice, you can gravity bleed,(crack open bleeder and let gravity pull fluid, KEEPING the MC FULL) or I do mine with a vacuum pump. about $25 from any parts store. KEEP THE MC FULL is the most important thing.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
There should be some sort of piston on the caliper. If you take a clamp and close it first it keeps all the fluid in and the lines air tight. Once everything is back in place (new pads on and calipers intact) you take off the clamp. It should be exactly the same except for the clearence of the new pads.

Your car might be different. I'm pretty sure the designs are pretty close though.

Call somebody who specializes in brakes. They can explain it a bit better.

You don't have the bleed the brakes if you are just changing the pads. If your CALIPERS leaked air, your going to have a much bigger problem on your hands.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 4camV8
hey all. finally put on my new pads/rotors last nite. But while I was working, and the fluid was dripping out, i let the Master cylinder get dry. I filled it back up, reinstalled everything and bled the air out of the calipers. HOWEVER, the pedal is mush, and i have no brakes. So i assume there's air further up the system from when the MC went dry. My question is, do i just have to bleed the crap out of it now until that air is out? Or is this some sort of disaster? Thanks.

Where was the fluid leaking from? There shouldn't be any fluid leaking unless the master cylinder overflowed from depressing the caliper pistons.

4camV8

Established Member
Originally posted by SweetSVT99
You don't have the bleed the brakes if you are just changing the pads. If your CALIPERS leaked air, your going to have a much bigger problem on your hands.

Thanks, i know that though. (just like I *knew* to not let the MC run dry):D

The calipers didn't LEAK air. But i had to bleed cause i had the lines disconnected. (i was going to intall my MM stainless lines, but abandoned that idea so that i could get everything together faster before the hurricane hit).

Anyway, long story short, the problem is solved. It was just a matter of bleeding the crap out of all four corners. Car stops on a dime now with normal pedal pressure. Thanks all for you help!

Last edited:

4camV8

Established Member
Re: Re: bleeding brakes

Originally posted by LIGHTNING LARRY
Where was the fluid leaking from? There shouldn't be any fluid leaking unless the master cylinder overflowed from depressing the caliper pistons.

The fluid was just dripping from the lines that were hanging disconnected. It didn't come out the top of the MC.

Users who are viewing this thread