Bleeding brakes

wudy

Established Member
I had to rebuild my PBR calipers because of a stuck piston this winter. That's all done so I had to bleed the brake lines today. I have never done it before as was worried about messing it up. It was super easy. My buddy sat in the car and did all the leg work as I did all the valve work. It took up probably 20 min. And that's taking our time and doing it twice. So easy.

Now that I'm done, I'm wondering if I should of kept going and really flush out the entire system. I filled up a small water bottle about half way. Surprised at how dark the fluid coming out and into the bottle is. I shouldn't be as the fluid is original to the car, 12 years, but the car has fairly low mileage 20k. So it really is due.

I only had 1 bottle with me. Should I just leave it with about half a bottle in? If I was to flush it out entirely how may bottles should I have on hand? Same drill start at the farthest away from the booster and work my way back? Or is there a better way?

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Cant hurt to flush it all out. I would if it was my car. Get the quick bleeders then u don't need a friend or to open close open close anymore cj pony sells them. I read every 2 years change brake fluid... I used a little over a liter of fluid to flush the system. It's hard to tell when all the old fluid is out but since it's so discolored in your car that will help. Always start back passenger and work your way up. That's how u make sure to get all the air out of the system... if u have any.
No more than 20 brake pumps for back brakes and fill up brake reservoir again and only 10 for front. U don't want to get air in master cylinder because it's a pain in the ass to get the air out again. Ask me how I know....
I upgraded to stainless steel lines and hawk pads and the car really stops well now.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I would have 2 liters available u won't use it all but it's always nice to have some extra. Plus it's cheap.

wudy

Established Member
Cant hurt to flush it all out. I would if it was my car. Get the quick bleeders then u don't need a friend or to open close open close anymore cj pony sells them. I read every 2 years change brake fluid... I used a little over a liter of fluid to flush the system. It's hard to tell when all the old fluid is out but since it's so discolored in your car that will help. Always start back passenger and work your way up. That's how u make sure to get all the air out of the system... if u have any.
No more than 20 brake pumps for back brakes and fill up brake reservoir again and only 10 for front. U don't want to get air in master cylinder because it's a pain in the ass to get the air out again. Ask me how I know....
I upgraded to stainless steel lines and hawk pads and the car really stops well now.

I was going to get the brake bleeder kit but read some bad reviews on them. It wasn't worth it since its easy enough to get a buddy over. I just dangle a few beer and a pizza in front if them.

But we didnt do that many pumps tho. We did 3-4 pumps then opened the valve for a couple seconds then do it again a couple more times on the same caliper after we didnt see any more air pockets. All the while we did fill the reservoir up. Was told that till I got sick of hearing it. So you are not alone on getting air in there. Lol.

Ill do it again next weekend with another bottle of fluid on hand. I knew I should of kept going. Like you said, its cheap enough. Thanks.:rockon:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Here are some easy methods for bleeding brakes I wrote up several years ago.
-----------
I took an old jar, large enough to hold at least one can of brake fluid. It's best to start with an empty can of fluid (or one which has been previously opened and sat on the shelf with old fluid). Fill the can with water and dump it into the jar (or you can use a measuring cup to start with the same ounces of water as the brake fluid can contains). Now mark the fluid level. Throw out the water and connect your bleeder hose to bleeder screw (I used to use speedbleeders, then a MityVac, but now I use a Motive Power Bleeder and I won’t go back. They all work well. Some prefer the 2-man system, so use whatever is best for you).

Take a full can of brake fluid, wipe off the top good so there is no dirt that can get into the system and clean your thumb as well, then carefully invert it onto your master cylinder (be careful you don't spill it on the paint! I use my thumb over the opening until the bottle is inverted). Now duct tape it in place so it doesn't tip over. At this point, it looks like an inverted water bottle sitting on top of the water cooler.

Now go bleed your brakes. Watch the fluid level in the jar, cause when it's close to the line you marked, then the brake fluid can on the Master Cylinder is nearly empty. If you're still bleeding, then empty the jar and put another can on the M/C and hold it in place with duct tape.

I keep bleeding until the fluid comes out clean, then move on to the next wheel.

Another tip. Brake fluid WILL absorb water, so don't bother storing an open can. If you need to add just a little bit of fluid, might as well do a little flushing and use up the entire can. It's cheaper than replacing calipers because of internal corrosion. Pull your stock bleeder valve all the way out and you'll see what I mean.

4601S/C

Established Member
What is everyone using for brake fluid?
Not road racing just normal use. I was going to go Motorcraft Dot 3 from amazon.

SV

I used some Valvoline branded fluid. Works fine for street use and spirited driving.

Users who are viewing this thread