Blair announces plans to deport extremists

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
I wish that we could get away with this here.

Blair announces plans to deport extremists

James Sturcke, Simon Jeffery and agencies
Friday August 5, 2005

Guardian Unlimited

Tony Blair today announced new measures to deport religious extremists who incite hatred.
The prime minister said the government was launching a short one-month consultation on new grounds for excluding and deporting people from the United Kingdom. They would include fostering hatred, advocating violence to further a person's beliefs or justifying or validating such violence.

"Let no one be in any doubt that the rules of the game are changing," Mr Blair said.

Speaking in Downing Street before setting out on his summer holiday, Mr Blair announced a dozen new measures including:

· New anti-terrorism legislation in the autumn, to include an offence of condoning or glorifying terrorism anywhere, not just in the UK

· Automatic refusal of asylum for anyone who has participated in terrorism or has anything to do with it anywhere

· The addition of the Hizb ut-Tahrir and al-Muhajiroun Islamist organisations to the list of prohibited groups

· A consultation over powers to order the closure of a place of worship which is used as a centre for fomenting extremism

· Consultation with Muslim leaders about drawing up a list of those not suitable to preach who will be excluded from Britain

Mr Blair said the British public had responded with "unity, dignity and tolerance" to the terror attacks on London.

"By and large, Britain knows it is a tolerant and good-natured nation, is rather proud of it and has responded to this terrorism with tolerance and good nature in a way that has won the admiration of people and nations the world over," he said.

"I am acutely aware that alongside those feelings that there is also a determination that this very tolerance and determination should not be abused by a small fanatical minority and anger that it has. Time and again, over the past few weeks, I have been asked to deal firmly with those prepared to engage in such extremism; and most particularly those who incite it or proselytise it.

"Such action in the past has been controversial. Each tightening of the law has met fierce opposition. But, for obvious reasons, the mood now is different. Over the past two weeks, intensive meetings across government have taken place to set a comprehensive framework for action in dealing with the terrorist threat in Britain."

Much of the insistence on strong action to weed out extremism was, Mr Blair said, coming most vigorously from Muslims who were "deeply concerned lest the activities of the fanatical fringe should contaminate the good reputation of the mainstream Muslim community in our country".

He added that the government was prepared to amend the Human Rights Act in respect of interpretation of the European convention on human rights if legal obstacles arise.

"Once the new grounds take effect, there will be a list drawn up of specific extremist websites, bookshops, centres, networks and particular organisations of concern," Mr Blair said. "Active engagement with any of these will be a trigger for the home secretary to consider the deportation of any foreign national."

The government will also consult on legislating specifically for an appeal process which does not stall the deportation procedure. He said the government was seeking assurances from around 10 countries, including Lebanon and Algeria, that deported people would not be mistreated when returned home.

After a short consultation period, parliament could be recalled next month to discuss the new legislation, Mr Blair said.

Existing powers to strip people of their British nationality if they act against the interests of this country could be extended to apply to naturalised citizens involved in extremism, he added.

He said the government would also consult on setting a maximum time limit for all future extradition cases involving terrorism. Mr Blair said that ministers were already examining a new court procedure which would allow a pre-trial process.

Mr Blair was asked if it was wise to run the risk of alienating the Muslim communities by "cracking down" with new legislation and falling into the trap al-Qaida had set for western governments.

"This is the balance that we have got to strike," Mr Blair replied. "And I think people are well able to see between tough measures to drive out extremists and measures aimed at the Muslim community as a whole.

"Of course there will be those who try and exploit it ... but I think the Muslim community is far more sensible than that and they know perfectly well that these people are a menace to their own community, never mind to the rest of us."

Mr Blair dismissed the latest al-Qaida video blaming him for the "destruction" in central London and warning of more attacks.

"These very self same people who were making those remarks yesterday are the people supporting the killing of wholly innocent people in Iraq, wholly innocent people in Afghanistan, innocent people anywhere in the world who want to live by the rules of democracy," he said.

He was also asked whether the new measures were a classic case of shutting the stable doors after the horse had bolted.

Mr Blair said his government had passed the Terrorism Act of 2000, the Anti Terrorism Crime and Security Act of 2001, and the Prevention and Terrorism Act 2005, which had been "fiercely opposed in both Houses of Parliament".

"I think to be frank what has changed since the attacks on July 7, is that people now understand that when we warned of the terrorist threat, this is not scaremongering," Mr Blair said.

Asked about his desire to improve integration, Mr Blair said he was "about the least politically correct person there is on this". He said people must be allowed to maintain their religion and culture but there was a balance to be struck.

"I think when they withdraw and become separate in a very deliberate way, that is unhealthy in my view."

Mr Blair declined to comment specifically about reports that authorities expected a third attack.

"We don't know what is out there," he said. "We want to find out. In the meantime we want to remain vigilant."

Today's International Herald Tribune says senior intelligence officials indicated that a third attack is likely. "The most recent information came from an intercepted cellphone text message and the interrogation of a suspected terrorist being held outside Britain," it reported.

Imran Waheed, a spokesman for Hizb ut-Tahrir in Britain, said it would fight any ban through the courts.

· Two more people have been arrested in London in connection with the failed July 21 bombings, it emerged today. A man was arrested in Finchley on Tuesday and a woman was arrested in Stockwell the following day, Scotland Yard said. Police said 39 people had now been arrested in Britain and one in Italy. Fourteen people remain in custody in the UK and one in Rome.

Guardian Unlimited ¿ Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I think it is a great move. Wish we could do it here, but the bleeding heart liberals and the ACLU would have a stroke.

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I think it is a great move. Wish we could do it here, but the bleeding heart liberals and the ACLU would have a stroke.

+1

Its time to take the action out of the 'chain emails' and into reality.

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

That is why I said wish; there would be a butt load of lawsuits. Anybody in their right mind could see how this would be a positive step in rooting out the bad folks.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
"They would include fostering hatred, advocating violence to further a person's beliefs or justifying or validating such violence."

We would have to deport all of America since guys on here want to beat up stupid Ricers.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
He could not have said it better. " The rules of the game are changing. " If only everyone else thought this way. There have been more f@cked up things that have happend.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Scoriox said:
"They would include fostering hatred, advocating violence to further a person's beliefs or justifying or validating such violence."

We would have to deport all of America since guys on here want to beat up stupid Ricers.

This is a typical Left of center response that is a great example of political correctness gone so wrong it's not even funny. So called Islamic leaders in London annouced in Feb or March that they would bring destruction to England and wow, they did. Would it have been wrong to deport them?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
AzDropTop said:
This is a typical Left of center response that is a great example of political correctness gone so wrong it's not even funny. So called Islamic leaders in London annouced in Feb or March that they would bring destruction to England and wow, they did. Would it have been wrong to deport them?

Its called humor, maybe you should look into it. Or maybe stop being such a dumbass. Not everything is political related.

AzDropTop

Established Member
With you it has been the trend to be so...

Completely missed your attempt at humor, sorry. I actually ignored the ricer comment and focussed on the Lefty rhetoric based on previous Scroinx banter. Careful with your name calling there little boy. :dw:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
x2 so right. if we did do that it would take years i am afraid...

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The leaders of this nation are much more concerned with offending someone than they are protecting the citizens of the USA. It would be wonderful if we could kick many peopl eout of here and limit those who are allowed in but as was mentioned, lawsuits by the ACLU and other groups will surface because we know it is much more important to protect the useless scumbags than honest American citizens.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Good move by Blair. I agree that the ACLU would blow a blood vessel. Maybe that could be Bush's parting gift when he leaves office.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Problem is, in this country, the smart people (who are mostly in charge) would use these laws to really work over the dumb people (who take everything at face value from the smart people) because that's the American way.

It would never work here- government closing centers of religion would require amending a couple important things, and then what's to stop them from amending anything else once the best amendment is gone?

rcc2

ya freakin gavone
Established Member
returning videotapes,taking money out of ATM's, Se

This would be great, in addition to kicking out all the Islamic fundametalist, we could get rid of some of the south for racism and some of the christian's for their hatred of homos.

Bullitt207

Established Member
trea·son ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trzn)
n.
Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.
A betrayal of trust or confidence.

Only one group is on a mission to kill ANY americans.

Users who are viewing this thread