Blackberry vs. Motorola Q

Cozmo4196

Established Member
Its that time of year for me to update my phone and I really want a smartphone. Verizon is my carrier and as far as I know, these(The Blackberry and Motorola Q) are the two major phones that they offer for that category.

So, people that have either one of these phones...what are your likes/dislikes, pros and cons.

Lets hear your opinions.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I have had the Q for about 4 months and I really like it. I wanted a phone that was easy to put my schedule into and this one fits the bill. I also text a lot and the keyboard is very comfortable. I have been looking at a few of the Q-similar blackberries, but I think the Q pretty much fits my needs. I haven't used all of the advanced features or bought many extra programs, but there are a million of them out there to practically turn the phone into a computer.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Definitely go with the Blackberry 8830. I have T-mobile and a Blackberry Pearl and I love it. IMO, the Q looks cooland I'm sure it's a great phone. But the trackball on the Blackberry is so damn convenient and the phone itself is amazing.

Established Member
The 8830 blackberry hands down is the best unit to get. The only downside is the no camera, but if you wait about 5 weeks Verizon should have the 8130, with a camera. The Q is a okay device, just has a tendency to freeze up and crash. In addition since its a windows mobile device it has issues with memory leaks. Which means that when you switch applications the application you just left is still open and still using memory, which slows the phone down.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I have had the Q9m for two months now... I have loved it so far, but it is my first PDA type phone. It does just about everything. Mine has not froze up or crashed at all. Key pad is the best I have ever used, the camera is really good.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
I've had the BlackBerry 8830 for almost a month now, and it owns all.

I love the keyboard on it, I use it for email, browsing the net, the built in maps are EXTREMELY nice, especially plotting from Point A to Point B, as well as the GPS. The phone is just ridiculous. The size of it is not that bad either.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I've had the BlackBerry 8830 for almost a month now, and it owns all.

I love the keyboard on it, I use it for email, browsing the net, the built in maps are EXTREMELY nice, especially plotting from Point A to Point B, as well as the GPS. The phone is just ridiculous. The size of it is not that bad either.

I didnt know the blackberry had GPS? Is it through verizon?

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
I didnt know the blackberry had GPS? Is it through verizon?

I use Alltel. And the GPS function is such a wonderful thing to have in huge towns. I know that a Verizon Motorola V710 I had worked on the Alltel network though...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, mine is the 8830 World Edition, if that makes any difference?

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
Well, I just bought the blackberry 8703E (From sprint) and I'm pretty happy with it. Although I wish it had a camera.
I should have opted for the 8830, but I only paid $149 for it.

ViciousJay

Established Member
how bout niether, write it down likea normal F***In person, put it in your pocket... if you cant remember $hit then go back to school or play the memory game with your kids... a phone is a phone...

Cozmo4196

Established Member
how bout niether, write it down likea normal F***In person, put it in your pocket... if you cant remember $hit then go back to school or play the memory game with your kids... a phone is a phone...

I'm obviously not taking your opinion into consideration because you're an idiot. If you literally mean I should carry around a ream of paper and jot down my daily agenda...then seriously pull your head out and get with the times. And unless you've been completely removed from the technological loop of things for the past 5 years, you'd know that a phone is NOT just a phone.

For everyone else, thanks for the feed back. I'm going to Verizon today to check out both, so I'll let you know what I come up with. From what I've read in reviews and what not, I'm leaning towards the Blackberry...but who knows.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I'm obviously not taking your opinion into consideration because you're an idiot. If you literally mean I should carry around a ream of paper and jot down my daily agenda...then seriously pull your head out and get with the times. And unless you've been completely removed from the technological loop of things for the past 5 years, you'd know that a phone is NOT just a phone.

For everyone else, thanks for the feed back. I'm going to Verizon today to check out both, so I'll let you know what I come up with. From what I've read in reviews and what not, I'm leaning towards the Blackberry...but who knows.

actually im quite above you in computer and phone skills my friend... as for phones not being phones thats the problem these days, everyone thinks there so damn important these days that then need texts and mail and phone and this and that well you know what your not, heres a kicker for you to remember too if you get an email and dont respond you'll look like an @sshole... and that could cost you your job just a FYI ive seen happen over and over, which is why i refuse to use it... btw name calling is childish

btw what are you using this for? if its too look cool your the kind of peopel i laugh at when you try to act all important... btw Mr S10 this is a SVT go play on your own forum

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
but sicne you asked here to goes....

Motorola Q:

Pro's: Slim, Microsoft compatable, able to use certian programs to open docs, easy to work with exchange

con's: no touch screen, too many functions, bad scrolling on the side

-------------------------------------

blackberry:

pro's: its magnaged till you have 10 or more users then you must buy a server to manage, works well with OWA's, many style of phones

con's: has no MS capabilitys, must change password frequently, disconnects alot from servers, theres others things that would take bout a 30 min to explain

Coiled03

Established Member
Its that time of year for me to update my phone and I really want a smartphone.

Wait - so, you get a new phone every year? WTF? :shrug:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member

Motorola Q:

Pro's: Slim, Microsoft compatable, able to use certian programs to open docs, easy to work with exchange

blackberry:

pro's: its magnaged till you have 10 or more users then you must buy a server to manage, works well with OWA's, many style of phones

con's: has no MS capabilitys, must change password frequently, disconnects alot from servers, theres others things that would take bout a 30 min to explain

Actually I like the fact that the Q doesnt have a touch screen, I really dont use the scroll thing on the side... so I guess it isnt that good. It doesnt just open documents and edit them, you can create them from scratch.

Pudmunkies

Established Member
Ive got the Q through Verizon that I liked for the most part. The only two drawback in my opinion is that it will forcefully connect to the EVDO network periodically even if you do not have an EVDO plan (which I didnt for a few months). Talk about big bucks. The second drawback being that it doesnt have a touch screen which makes surfing the net nearly impossible, especially if the sites have links imbeded in pictures that are not registering as links. Im going to sprint very shortly because of how much I hate the Dbags at the VZW stores around me, and im still debating between the relativley cheap MotoQ or the more expensive HTC Mogul.

You'll know for sure when you go try both phones which one you like, make sure its comfortable in your hand... you'll end up using it a lot.

Cozmo4196

Established Member
actually im quite above you in computer and phone skills my friend... as for phones not being phones thats the problem these days, everyone thinks there so damn important these days that then need texts and mail and phone and this and that well you know what your not, heres a kicker for you to remember too if you get an email and dont respond you'll look like an @sshole... and that could cost you your job just a FYI ive seen happen over and over, which is why i refuse to use it... btw name calling is childish

btw what are you using this for? if its too look cool your the kind of peopel i laugh at when you try to act all important... btw Mr S10 this is a SVT go play on your own forum

Please...save the internet arguments for someone else who cares. I don't have F-ing time for it. I come here for positive responses, not petty attempts at "One-Up" conversations. :nonono:

I plan on using it to make my life more organized on the go. I'm a senior at a 4 year college taking a full load, balancing a part time internship and a part time job, all while trying to be involved in my fraternity as much as possible. I'm constantly on the move and I need something that will help keep track of my busy agenda. I always have my phone on me, and carrying around a separate planner just seems impractical when I could have it all in one unit.

Motorola Q:

blackberry:

I was under the impression that the Blackberry had Microsoft capability's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread