Blackberry Storm (9530)

badazzar15

Banned
Ok - for the longest time I couldn't stand my Storm. Touch screen delays, random freezes, nearly impossible to navigate through the phone for simple tasks (compared to iPhone).

However I am running the new .167 OS (see Crackberry.com forums) and it's like I've gotten a new phone. Everything is now so smooth and crisp, fast and responsive. The touchscreen now works like a charm. I'm having a blast with this device for the first time. On top of that, Verizon is supposedly getting ready to release the new 5.0 OS which will be the end-all OS for the Storm.

Anyways, if anyone has a Storm and is frustrated with it, I definitely recommend upgrading the OS to either the latest official (.151) or a hybrid beta OS like mine (.167+)

Storm OS Discussion - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Here's a video of one of the new beta OS' (5.0.0.191)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHYzsh221Ww&feature=related"]YouTube - BlackBerry Storm OS 5.0.0.191 with flick scrolling Part 1 of 4[/ame]

Last edited:

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
How long have you had the upgrade? My contracts up, and need a new Verizon phone. I wanted a storm but heard they were junk. If they worked out all the bugs, I may have to jump on one while the price is down.

badazzar15

Banned
How do you get this upgrade? Do they do it at a Verizon store or do you by an application to update like the i phone?

You need Desktop Manager (5.0 is the latest version).

Download the new OS .exe file, install it on your computer. Then plug your Blackberry into the PC, run Desktop Manager and it will automatically detect that you have a newer OS on your PC, and it will perform the upgrade for you.

Takes about 10 minutes to complete.

Check out Crackberry.com for full instructions. Very easy, simple to do

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Also, storm2 should be released pretty soon. A lot of the bugs from the first one should be fixed on the Storm2. Plus it will have wifi and the touch(surepress) will be a bit different.

jmotank

Established Member
so how does this work? i've got a curve and often wondered if there were some sort of updates to load to make it faster and smoother, more efficiant. just curious. i know nothing about this stuff.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
The surepress was meant for the BB followers who have always had BB's and wanted the feel of a button. For the storm2, if i'm not mistaken there will be sensitivity adjustment for that. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having an Iphone, there's just one problem. Its on ATT.

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
The surepress was meant for the BB followers who have always had BB's and wanted the feel of a button. For the storm2, if i'm not mistaken there will be sensitivity adjustment for that. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having an Iphone, there's just one problem. Its on ATT.

same here but atat sucks where I'm at.

badazzar15

Banned
Dude, you posted the info for the 5.0.0.191. This is a HYBRID BETA OS, and not an Official Release. If you want an Official Release, the latest OS is .151. which came out a few weeks ago. VERY Good OS, smooth, fast stable.

If you want the most stable Beta OS, I would go with .167. Faster than .151, but it is still a Beta.

The .191 stuff you posted is a very early Beta. No Camera support, etc. However I hear it's the fastest OS out there right now.

Here is the first post for the thread at crackberry.com Looks like it still has some issues.
link
9530 5.0.0.191 Fixes & Findings Thread. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
As I stated before

Pros:
threaded sms
quicker faster interface
flick scrolling througout
new fonts
Fixed notifications in custom themes, and can now delete without opening first.
Sound notification works with custom icons (after running for 36 hours)

Cons:
Can't find media icon, have to use file finder to play music off SD card, music sounds muddled
Charging meter is not visible, but still charges, no bolt
Camera & Video causes resets
Themes work well but some will have to be changed due to new layout of applications menu.
Some applications still do not work. *weatherbug icon does not work

Not sure if this is a con or not: In emails with many CC's like most of mine are, the message loads to the beginning then srolls up to the name of who sent it. I wish it just stayed on the message.

**** Do Not Us this Build if you want the camera & video to work....does not work with camera cods from this build or any other build...I tried all the way back to .75 without success.

I do not see color banding in the two themes that I run: HeroBerry and BeBerry.

Blackberry Messenger 5.0 to 4.7 downgrade instructions
When you load the software you must select the Messenger at the top of the OS loader page and uncheck the Blackberry Messenger near the bottom. This will put the correct version on when you first load the OS. Tried and trued....I had to load the OS a few times as a tester.

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Dude, you posted the info for the 5.0.0.191. This is a HYBRID BETA OS, and not an Official Release. If you want an Official Release, the latest OS is .151. which came out a few weeks ago. VERY Good OS, smooth, fast stable.

If you want the most stable Beta OS, I would go with .167. Faster than .151, but it is still a Beta.

The .191 stuff you posted is a very early Beta. No Camera support, etc. However I hear it's the fastest OS out there right now.

Damn, let me get rid of that. thanks! The camera thing kinda disapointed me on that version. Can't sneak any pics of the wife with that version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread