black trim ?

sdfrog177

Established Member
sonicblustreak said:
Has anyone had any luck with making the trim around the windshied etc. look new again after it has faded?

Flat black spray paint and a good tape job is your friend.

carguy19

Established Member
sonicblustreak said:
Has anyone had any luck with making the trim around the windshied etc. look new again after it has faded?

I thought this thread was about african american pu**y = black trim :lol:

Sorry I had too.

On my previous fox bodies, I removed the door and window moldings and scuffed them good with a scotch brite pad (if they were in bad shape I wet sanded with 400 grit, then 600 then 1000 to make them nice and smooth), then primed them with a thin layer of primer and finished them with flat black krylon paint (or gloss black sometimes). They always came out great.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
It is going to sound really funny, but use some creamy peanut butter. The plastic will absorb the oil and bring some life back to it.

Of course, try this on a small spot first but I heard it does miracles.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I always use SEM brand "black trim paint" it matches perfectly in color, texture and sheen (sp?)

Part# SEM 39143

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
91 FOX 5.0 said:
does this painting method last very long ?

If you prep it correctly it will last a long time. You have to clean the parts very well. They have years of bug guts spattered on them, waxes, and Armor All that needs to be cleaned off thoroughly. Then a light scuffing with a 3M scotch brite fine pad, another cleaning, then shoot the paint in lite even coats.

scootro

Established Member
painting it is the way to go!!! i had a 89' gt once and actually replaced that metal trim instead repainting it. Talk about a pain!!!!

PJM99

Established Member
I took my window trim off and I'm going to repaint it with the SEM 39143 paint. Haven't gotten around to prepping and paint yet though. I wonder if I could get them powder coated?

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I used duplicolor trim black on all the fox bodies I have rebuilt. I sold one car to a friend who has had it since 2001. All the trim still looks good today in 2007. He drove it for 2 winters here, and even had it out in California for 1 year. Still is great!!!!

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
cobra186 said:
I always use SEM brand "black trim paint" it matches perfectly in color, texture and sheen (sp?)

Part# SEM 39143

Ditto. I did the whole trim on my car in that and on the rubber/plastic parts (quarter windows and cowl) I used the same SEM color but for flexible parts. They all turned out looking just like factory painted parts. I've had several compliments from other FoxChassis owners on how original it looks.

93 SVT #2826

Established Member
I bought the SEM at O'reilly's today and it is perfect. Not cheap though, I think it was close to $10 a can.

Users who are viewing this thread