Black/Red Cobra swirl mark help.

stang8762

Established Member
Im looking into doing some detailing on my 99 cobra .. I have used rotary buffers at the body shop i work at but was thinking about buying a Porter and cable 7424xp polisher for home and from the reviews and the info i have been reading it seems like a perfect choice .

My cobra is black/ rio red and has alot of swirl marks/ spider webbing in the paint just from washing ,the paint being 3 yrs old and being black . I was thinking of trying the mequires 105/205 combo and some sort of sealer for dark cars or this system from mequires:

http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-6in.html

Just dont want to buy that kit if it wont be enough for my swirls or play it safe and go with whats listed below .

1.Wash and clay if needed
2. Dry
3. Start with a orange ccs 6.5" pad/ Mequires 105 or CCS 6.5" Yellow depending on seriousness of swirls
4. Mequires 205 with white 6.5" ccs polishing pad
5. seal with gray ccs 6.5" pad or wax with 3m wax?

What size pads do you guys prefer/use ? 5.5 or 6.5?

any help would be great , just looking to make sure i am on the right track.

This is what i have laying around for product

Last edited:

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
You won't find many people against the PC 7424 or M105/M205 polishes. All three of those are solid choices and can achieve the results you want.

Looking at the pictures I think I would come out the gate with M105 on an Orange pad. Pad size is mostly a preference thing but for polishing I generally go with the smaller pads (4"). You'll find the larger the pad the harder it is to work some areas of the vehicle.

If you're going to do the polish you really should clay the car or else you'll be chasing your own tail. Preparation before the polish makes or breaks the results.

You won't find many 3M fans here. Lots of good options for LSP out there. Try your hand at the Blackfire Lethal giveaway!

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Pad size actually plays a pretty important roll with your process. The less surface area of the pad, the faster the machine will spin the pad creating more friction/heat.

For compounding and polishing, 5.5 seems to be the sweet spot. You really don't need to worry about pad size when waxing/sealing since all you're doing is spreading product, and not necessarily working it in. However, if you're using 5.5 for polish, it wouldn't make much sense to use a a pad that requires a different backing plate, now does it?

We stock all of what you need, and Lake Country actually makes a few different types of pads. The pads we have are the Hydro tech pads that only come in three different colors. Cyan (Blue) is the highest cut, Tangerine (Orange) for polish, and Crimson (Red) for wax and other LSP's.

We'd love your support, so feel free to give me a shout if you want to take advantage of some of the forum specials we're running for car care products.

Feel free to browse here: Car Care Products : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Thanks

John

MTBSully

Established Member
just ordered a PC 7424 and m105/205 combo a few days ago for my torch red car. I will be claying the car this weekend and hopefully polishing next week

AdamR@Gotham

Established Member
If you have a chance stop by the shop and either Kevin or I can tell you the best way to go about it. I'll be out of the shop till Wed. but Kevin will be in.

007snake

mechanical music
Established Member
just ordered a PC 7424 and m105/205 combo a few days ago for my torch red car. I will be claying the car this weekend and hopefully polishing next week

you might want to check my pc 7424 didn't come with the 5.5" velcro backing plate and had to order it seperate...don't know if you ordered from someone who got you set up.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
You are on the right track for sure. I would definitely agree that clay barring the car is a must. Will definitely get the best results claying the car first. I used the Meg 105/205 with the Lake County pads. I would say it got virtually all of the problems areas.

I just finished my blk cobra. I have the Flex XC 3401 VRG buffer. It is more powerful than the PC, so a 6.5 pad will work. After doing several vehicles especially the cobra, I prefer the smaller pads. I made the investment and got the smaller backing plate.

Users who are viewing this thread