Black paint recommendations

Fdnyshelby

Established Member
I've owned many black vehicles and have used a meguairs da for a number of years for defect removal and polishing. I'm having trouble making my black paint really pop on my Shelby and was hoping somebody could help out..

current process has been a red pad with some m105 for defect removal. Followed by some ultimate polish and a yellow pad. Should I ditch the red pad and use yellow pad for compound and black pad for polish?? Is there different products you would use with a meguairs polisher? Any help is appreciated...

hoamskilet

Established Member
Take a look at this chart:

http://i.imgur.com/tYhgNX3.jpg

According to that, I don't see why the Ultimate Polish would leave it hazy (although admittedly I've never used the stuff). I would try going over a spot again with your ultimate polish and yellow pad and see if it comes out better going over it again. If it doesn't, then maybe look into getting a "light polishing pad" from one of the various manufacturers (Lake Country, Buff n Shine, etc....) and/or a different polish (HD Polish is my go to polish).

The test spot is crucial. Before doing your whole car, do just one spot with your planned process to see if the outcome is acceptable. That way you can get what it's going to take dialed in before doing the whole car.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I've owned many black vehicles and have used a meguairs da for a number of years for defect removal and polishing. I'm having trouble making my black paint really pop on my Shelby and was hoping somebody could help out..

current process has been a red pad with some m105 for defect removal. Followed by some ultimate polish and a yellow pad. Should I ditch the red pad and use yellow pad for compound and black pad for polish?? Is there different products you would use with a meguairs polisher? Any help is appreciated...

If you don't have too many bad swirls or scratches I would just use an orange pad for correction. The da polisher does not matter. I use a Porter Cable 7424. My favorite polishes for bringing Black alive are the Menzerna polishes. They are amazing for black. You can use Power Finish which is a combo of their Intensive polish and Final polish combined. For heavy marring and swirls you can buy the Intensive polish separate from the Final polish and use an orange pad for the Intensive and white pad for the Final polish. When I bought my 2004 Lightning used years ago it was full of swirl marks and small scratches. Took them all out with the menzerna polishes and had an awesome deep mirror finish black paint. Where are you in NJ.

DSC_0143.jpg

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Okay. I am up in Northwest NJ by Mountain Creek ski area. Just checked the Meguiars site and the Red pad is the cutting pad and the yelo is the polishing pad. So whatever polish you end up using and I like the Menzerna use the red pad for cutting/correction and then the yelo pad for final polish. If you only have marring and not many swirls or scratches use the yelo polish pad with the cut polish first then the final polish with the yelo pad also and that should bring up the gloss. The red pad could be too much of a cut and marring your paint.

Last edited:

motoo344

Established Member
105 loves to leave hazing and marring behind. M205 is what I would recommend cleaning it up with, possibly with an orange pad first and then a white pad to finish down. M205 is super versatile, I use it a lot for one steps, even on black cars.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Yes after using any cutting compound you have to follow up with a finishing polish to get a swirl free finish that is ready for an LSP(last step product). I have the M105 and M205 polishes on hand but for black I have preferred to use the Menzerna cutting compound and finishing polish. I find them more user friendly, very little dusting and easy to remove. But that is just my opinion and everyone likes the products that work best for them.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Who do you guys prefer for the orange and white pads?

If you are talking about products used on these pads then it does not matter whose products you use but the orange pad is a cutting pad and should be used mainly for correction and with cutting compounds. White pads are usually used with finishing polishes but they can also be used with some less aggressive cut compounds for light swirls or scratches. I have used white pads to take out minor swirls and scratches with fine cut compounds.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I meant which brands of pads do u like

Oh okay. I have always used the Lake Country line of pads. They are made very well and lasted me a long time. I am on my 2nd set of backing plates for my porter cable polisher 3-1/2 and 6 inch ones that wore out before any of my LC pads. Just keep them cleaned and maintained after use and they will last a long time.

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I meant which brands of pads do u like

Post some pics of your Shelby once you detail it. I would like to see it. I had a 2014 Shelby GT500 for 2 years but had to sell it last April due to personal reasons. It was the hardest thing for me to do with any car I have owned and I have had many. Here are a few pics. Detailed of course.

DSC_0395_zps5a4a37cb.jpg
DSC_0389_zps0ccc2f22.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread