Black holes

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Any science buffs here? I just watched a pretty cool show on the Discovery Channel about black holes. The scientists on the show discovered that every galaxy has a black hole at the center of it. Some are more active than others. They even discovered our own galaxy (the Milkyway) has one too. Basically a black hole is a big mass of gravity that sucks everything in (including light) and disintegrates it. We've always known that the center of the galaxy has some center of gravity, otherwise the solar systems wouldn't rotate around a center. I would believe that if every galaxy has a black hole it must have some kind of importance to the galaxy. :shrug: Anybody have any thoughts on this? :beer:

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Yeah I saw that too :)

I used to be into astrophysics type stuff when I was in high school, and no I wasn't a nerd lol.

What's more facinating is the thought of where does the matter go when it enters? Just to the point of singularity or does it exit out of a 'white' hole.

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Whohoo, fellow astronomy geek (well, i am kinda one)

Yeah, it would make sense that a black hole would be at the center of every galaxy, even with a big ass neutron star, you'd be damn hardpressed to have enough gravity to hold everything.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Good question. They said they need to possibly come up with a whole new kind of physics to explain what exactly happens.

I was taught that atoms split, and then split again. But even that has to go somewhere. You can't destroy energy right?

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
You can't destroy energy, nor create it.

Here is the kicker, if I'm thinking right, einsteins theory of relativity says that matter can be converted to energy by movin the shit fast enough.
That being said, is it possible that a blackhole is a place where matter and energy are constantly being converted, and as a result has a crazy ammount of gravity, or.. yeah, I think i'll shut up now.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Black holes are actually proven to exist now? I thought it was just a theory still. I can only assume that matter is compacted so tightly due to the gravity that maybe it turns to microscopic molecules. A black hole is supposedly a sun that has "died" right? After that sun explodes, it condenses down under its own gravitational force in to objects as small as softballs so I hear. Yet somehow it still maintains its same mass and gravitational pull. So maybe all the shit just catches on to this small black ball or "elf" is I think the term and stays there until the gravity dies. Kinda like a magnet. Ramble Ramble Ramble.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I watched that show too...Very interesting. I think they have learned alot more in the last few years since adding equipment to the hubble, at least according to the discovery channel program. Giant Black holes start off as quasars, once the gas around the surrounding quasar is used up it develops into a super massive blackhole.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
One thing I've been thinking about since I saw the show is gravity. The force of gravity seems to be the one defining factor for everything. Everything scientific I can think of is related to gravity. Think about it. A black hole is a huge concentration of gravity force right? That gravitational force keeps the whole galaxy in an even rotation around it's center. Every star within that galaxy has it's own set of planets which rotate around it's gravitational force. The planets have moon's which rotate around their gravitational pull. Our own atmoshpere would simply not be here if it wasn't for gravity (The weight of the atmosphere keeps it on Earth). Every aspect of weather/climate is affected by gravity. Molecular weight and so on and on.

The "force" of gravity. What the hell is it exactly? It's not defined anywhere that I know of other than a "force." A force to me would be the effect of a cause. So what "causes" "force."

Sorry, I've rambled enough lmao!!:p

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Uhh, that's a good question on what exactly gravity is. All matter produces some ammount of gravity. Here's a real trip though, if I remember, I think they have shown that gravity affects time..

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
One thing I've been thinking about since I saw the show is gravity. The force of gravity seems to be the one defining factor for everything. Everything scientific I can think of is related to gravity. Think about it. A black hole is a huge concentration of gravity force right? That gravitational force keeps the whole galaxy in an even rotation around it's center. Every star within that galaxy has it's own set of planets which rotate around it's gravitational force. The planets have moon's which rotate around their gravitational pull. Our own atmoshpere would simply not be here if it wasn't for gravity (The weight of the atmosphere keeps it on Earth). Every aspect of weather/climate is affected by gravity. Molecular weight and so on and on.

The "force" of gravity. What the hell is it exactly? It's not defined anywhere that I know of other than a "force." A force to me would be the effect of a cause. So what "causes" "force."

Sorry, I've rambled enough lmao!!:p

Have you been drinking RedBull again?

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
The cool thing is that they live for as long as the universe will unless two meet and collide then the bigger one will eat the smaller one. They also do not "suck" everything in. If there was a black hole where the sun is with the same gravitational force none of the planets would get sucked in. They'd be different because of the lack of heat but most likely htey'd be whee they are.

They also fire off Hawkins Radiation which is X-rays spun off due to the extreme speed of the spin of the black hole. I've seen an X-ray photograph of a black hole with a one billion light year jet! Thats five widths of the Milky Way galaxy in either direction. Thats insane for something the size of your thumb.

Black holes have bin proven by watching a suspected area and the stars around it. If they find a star that is binary with a black hole it will dissappear when the black hole is in view due to the light being devoured by it. Sometimes a rogou black hole will pass in front of a field of stars and if an astronomer happens to be viewing that area they'll "see" it. But thats rare due to the size of the universe and lack of people watching.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
There is a theory that as light, matter, whatever nears the event horizon of a black hole, time is affected and everything slows down. For example if a space ship could get close enough without being destroyed by the intense gravity, the passengers might experience only a short period time while outside of the gravity well years may pass. Gravity, time, space, it's all connected somehow. Scientists have been looking for a unified field theory for some time now.

Frederick Pohl's "Gateway" series, especially "Beyond the Blue Event Horizon" covers the topic and has some interesting points. If any of you like sci-fi, he has many great books dealing with future possibilities. "The Space Merchants" pair of books he wrote extrapolates what advertising will become if left unchecked the way it looks like it's going now. He did a great job writing these books probably 20 years ago. I'm amazed how often he's right on the money with what he said. His "Eschaton" Trilogy talks about what would happen if aliens were discovered in the Solar System and makes you think. It's complex and sometimes hard to follow but worth reading. That's it for this month's "Author of the Month". LOL. :)

KaosFire

Established Member
what is force? well, they have been trying to work on that for a while now. They are trying to prove that all forces are related. They've proven a relation between electrical force and magnetic force. But they still haven't figured out how to put gravity into this. They know that some forces are caused by the "sharing" or movement of subatomic particles. ie electrons for electric fields. There is a hypothesis that there is something called gravitons for gravity. They haven't discovered it yet.
I think Muons do something for another force as well. Weird stuff...thats being discussed on a car enthusiast board. Lol

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
There is a theory that as light, matter, whatever nears the event horizon of a black hole, time is affected and everything slows down. For example if a space ship could get close enough without being destroyed by the intense gravity, the passengers might experience only a short period time while outside of the gravity well years may pass.
You're describing Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity. :beer:

Time Dilation is one of the concepts of Relativity. An object in motion (in this case being accelerated toward the center of the incredible gravity of the black hole) experiences different time than one that is stationary. The faster it moves, the less time it experiences relative to the object that is not moving. This has been proven by synchronizing atomic clocks and putting one on a supersonic jet and flying around the world, when you land and take the clock off the jet, it has a different time (slower) as the one on the ground, abeit on the order of the trillionth decimal place.

Black holes have been proven by the radiation given off by objects being accelerated toward the center of gravity...the event horizon describes this. (I believe that Cygnus-X1 is the Milky Way's version). Einstein's theory is that mass can be accelerated so fast (at that horizon) that time actually stops. Whether it does or not is inconsequential, since you're crushed into oblivion by the gravity, either way, lol...

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Originally posted by shanker
Sometimes a rogou black hole will pass in front of a field of stars and if an astronomer happens to be viewing that area they'll "see" it. But thats rare due to the size of the universe and lack of people watching.

They don't actually see the black hole. What they see is the stars behind the black hole shifting position, or appearing to that is due to the light from the star being bent slightly by the black hole.

Users who are viewing this thread