Black HELP

ron_lightning04

Established Member
Ok i got my black 2004 lightning this year i love it alot more than my silver but it is so hard to keep clean any secrets ??????

and what products used or wax's

lates ron, :banana:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Black is just one of those colors that is always going to show it's scratches and swirls. There are a lot of products on the market that will help it out however. If it is really bad, and you plan on taking really good care of it, I recommend going to a pro and getting it machine polished. I am doing that before the car show season starts this year, then if anyone touched my car I may end up with the death penalty. :)

spree

Established Member
here's my exterior detailing regiment for black...I do this once every 2-3 months.

What you'll need:
Porter Cable 7424
Assorted pads (I use the meguiar's pads found here - http://www.autogeek.net/mg64.html, I have one of each)
Car wash soap and a good wash mitt (sheepskin and microfiber work great for me)
Clay bar
Swirl Remover (I use Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and SSR1)
Polish (I use Clearkote Vanilla Moose)
Sealant/Wax (I use Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax and S100)
Lots of microfiber towels (2 waffle weave drying towels and 3 detailing towels)

And here's the order you want to apply it all in...

1. Wash the car
2. Clay the car using the supplied lubricant (or you can create your own lubricant by mixing water and a little bit of car wash soap in a spray bottle)
3. Wash the car again and dry it completely
4. Apply your swirl remover via the porter cable. For severe swirling, I use SSR2.5 with a cutting pad. Apply the SSR2.5 and work it into a small area. Set the PC at a speed of about 3-4, and gradually turn it up to about 5-6 until the product has almost disappeared. Buff off with a microfiber detailing towel. For light swirling, I use the SSR1 with a polishing pad.
5. Apply your polish via the porter cable or by hand. I apply my vanilla moose using a speed of about 2-3 and a polishing pad. Buff it off with another microfiber detailing towel.
6. Apply your wax using the porter cable (with a finishing pad) or by hand. Buff it off, and you should have something like this...

09-26-04_05.jpg

09-26-04_03.jpg

You can find the clearkote stuff and the SSR2.5/SSR1 at http://www.specialtymotoring.com. http://www.autogeek.net is also an excellent vendor.

BLK_03

Established Member
Spree, I use the EXACT same combo...

SSR2.5
Clearkote Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze
Clearkote Carnuba Moose
---All applied w/ the porter cable

You on autopia? I posted over there and another black cobra mentioned using the same stuff I use... :lol1:

spree

Established Member
BLK_03 said:
Spree, I use the EXACT same combo...

SSR2.5
Clearkote Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze
Clearkote Carnuba Moose
---All applied w/ the porter cable

You on autopia? I posted over there and another black cobra mentioned using the same stuff I use... :lol1:

that would be me :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread