Black car blues... :(

bossman429

Established Member
Well i thought just washing and waxing my car was takin car of it, but you guys have proved em wrong

Currently i just wash my car, and throw some wax on it every now and then

But being a black car i got one major problem.... SWIRL MARKS man o man when the sun hits it at the right angle.... OUCH! or even worse those flourescent lights in the parking lot!

Can someone put together a list of things i should buy/do to keep my car clean, shiny, and swirl mark free. What to use, and where to buy it? Im not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on detailing stuff but if a little investment will last me awhile im ok with it. Thanks in advance.... hopefull all you guys with black cars feel my pain.

edit: im also deathly afraid of mechanical buffers... id rather do things by hand if possible... im just afraid too long in one spot will ruin it or something...

Last edited:

KingCobra97

V Dub
Established Member
I recently bought a TON of car care stuff. I was worried I might f' something up too on my cars, but there really is nothing to worry about. I used a PC 7336 with a very aggressive polish and pad,,,, with nothing but good results. Just take the plunge and get one!

Bad Venom

Hooded & Fanged For Life
Established Member
I know you mean. I can't seem to get out of the black car thing. But from experience I like to use the 3 step wax from Mothers. It hides the swirl marks in sunlight and other bright light. Also use that tacky feel cloth. I forgot what it is called but auto zone sells that cloth it comes in a bundle of 3 or 6. Use this cloth for your final buff. I also tried the Maguiers Tech Wax on my other Black Car that too did an excellant job hiding the swirls, saved alot time but still had to prewax the car first. But the 94 Cobra gets the 3 step hand wax never saw a Electric Buffer. I hoped this helps out.

Last edited:

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Werd, I have always used Mothers stuff and it does wonders. I have a ton of miles on mine and it still looks pretty nice when cleaned.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i got rid of my black 2002 t-bird about a year ago. it sure was a pain to keep clean/swirl mark free. nothing beats a bright but light color like my current screaming yellow cobra, looks clean even when its dirty.good luck

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
LOL!! Welcome to OWNING A BLACK CAR! Trust me, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!! The real way to get rid of those swirl marks my friend is to get you car wetsanded or have the marks taken out by a professional with a low speed buffer. My car was SO BAD, that it took a detailer 2 entire days with swirl mark remover to do the hood and the rocker panels ONLY! There are still scratches on the car you can see if you park it out in the sun. If you are anal about your car, black isn't for you!!!!! I would recommend doing what I have been doing: I ended up paying that detailer guy about 200 bucks since he worked his balls off on the finish of my 'vette. Then I bought a car cover for my car. Every day I get home from work, I go over my vette with a microfiber cloth and instant detailer, then I COVER IT! Its been about a month since its been detailed and it still looks cherry. It sucks too, because that damn car cover cost me over 400 dollars.

Paul

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Flooznie said:
LOL!! Welcome to OWNING A BLACK CAR! Trust me, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!! The real way to get rid of those swirl marks my friend is to get you car wetsanded or have the marks taken out by a professional with a low speed buffer. My car was SO BAD, that it took a detailer 2 entire days with swirl mark remover to do the hood and the rocker panels ONLY! There are still scratches on the car you can see if you park it out in the sun. If you are anal about your car, black isn't for you!!!!! I would recommend doing what I have been doing: I ended up paying that detailer guy about 200 bucks since he worked his balls off on the finish of my 'vette. Then I bought a car cover for my car. Every day I get home from work, I go over my vette with a microfiber cloth and instant detailer, then I COVER IT! Its been about a month since its been detailed and it still looks cherry. It sucks too, because that damn car cover cost me over 400 dollars.

Paul

along the lines of this guy.........if you want a nice car.......don't drive it everyday. Wash, wax, cover, garage, buy daily driver. seriously if you want to prevent any swirlmarks and stuff like that, never take your car to a machine wash that touches your car, always wash your car yourself, using clean sponges, mits and towels. I have sets soley used on my cobra nothing else and are washed and ready to go everytime I have to use them. A california duster works well for dust......if your car is rained on never use this on black......after it has rained and dried. I learned by experience, scratch city. oh and turtlewax color cure works great if you get it in black :)

ViciousJay

Established Member
i polished my black rides EVERYTIME i washed them and you know what the swirls can be hardly seen , if at all you gotta have some TLC for your ride sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread