Bk and DQ out

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
I guess I see what he's saying, but I still think it's bullshit.
Sorry guys.

Whoppers, Dairy Queen sundaes and the latest movies will soon disappear for U.S. military personnel serving in Afghanistan, according to a blog posting by Sgt. Maj. Michael T. Hall discussing changes to morale, welfare and recreation facilities on U.S. bases there.

In an effort to put more focus on fighting the Taliban, the military is cutting back on "non-essentials" in Afghanistan, Hall announced on the International Security Assistance Force Afghanistan blog this week. Hall is the command sergeant major for ISAF.

On large U.S. facilities such as the Kandahar and Bagram air bases, that includes closing restaurants such as Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius and Pizza Hut, dropping first-run movies from base theaters and cutting the amount of canned and bottled imported from the States, Hall writes.

“This is a warzone – not an amusement park,” he writes.

“Supplying nonessential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupplied with ammunition, food and water,” Hall says in the blog posting.

Hall says eliminating the restaurants and other facilities will free up space to accommodate more than 35,000 U.S. and allied troops who will be arriving in Afghanistan in the coming months.

But troops shouldn’t feel neglected, Hall writes, as the military plans to increase fitness centers and Internet and telephone capabilities.

And they’ll still be able to get a good cup of coffee as the Green Beans Coffee outlets at bases across the country will remain open, Hall writes.

U.S. bases in Afghanistan say goodbye to Whoppers, DQ – Afghanistan Crossroads - CNN.com Blogs

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
Im not sure how I feel about this one. I haven't been to Afghanistan yet, but Im sure its along the lines of Al Asad, which sickens me. I mean Al Asad is like Camp Lejeune FORWARD. Last time I was there, we had been living in some old buildings in Southern Basrah and eventually made our way North to Haditha and Hit. We rolled into Al Asad to get some upgrades on our MRAPS and some supplies. We didn't have shit where we were and I remember being in the chowhall at Al Asad and some Cpl was throwing a fit because they were out of ice cream. Then you see overweight fat bodies carrying 3 pizzas back to their Can. I don't know... end rant :beer:

yelostang

Established Member
That's pretty crazy that they have all that shit in Kandahar. It sure as hell was an amusement park back in 02, but it wasn't a complete shit hole either.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
That's a shame, I'm sure that the American people wouldn't mind foregoing those costs to give a little taste of home to our men and women overseas.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I remember when Pizza hut opened up on Camp Phoenix, man that was awesome. Not being at Camp Phoenix meant that we didn't get that pizza on the regular, but anytime we went on convoy up there you would have orders of 10+ pizzas. Despite the fact that it was a 4+ hour convoy, people didn't care they just wanted some damn pizza. Morale deffintely went up in our camp.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Talk about a morale killer, I hardly ever ate any fast food in Iraq but when I did it was pretty much amazing. Its one of the few things from back home we had!

Users who are viewing this thread