Bizarre Problem.....Fuel Pump?

13BremboGT

Established Member
'13 GT M6 3.73 car. While accelerating (anything over 1/4 throttle), a noise comes from what sounds like under the right rear seat. It sounds like a check valve rattle/air, cavitation in a line. Same thing in 5th or 6th gear, sound begins at exactly 62 MPH and stops somewhere around 70 MPH. Is the fuel pump under the right rear seat? Also, why in the world would a fuel pump problem be related to vehicle speed? I'm going to take it to the dealer soon, just wondering if anyone has any idea about this one. :shrug: No problems with the car other than this weird noise. I can repeat it 100% of the time. 62 MPH. 1.21 jigawatts.

13BremboGT

Established Member
Fair enough, I'll throw the GoPro in there this weekend. It always starts at EXACTLY 62MPH. Sounds like a rattling noise from under the back seat. Anywhere between 62-70 MPH I can make the noise come and go with a little throttle.

Little background...once upon a time I was an ASE Master Tech. I have no idea what this noise is. Not related to engine RPM....does the exact same thing in 5th or 6th gear.

make a video of it?

13BremboGT

Established Member
Haven't had a chance to do a video yet, but I was wrong about where the sound is coming from. It just sounded like it was coming from the passenger's side rear seat from the driver's seat. Had the wife in the car today and she says that sound is coming from the driver's side rear seat. Almost certain it is a fuel pump issue......

13BremboGT

Established Member
Good theory, but I can turn the sound on and off with light application of the throttle. It's definitely fuel pump/fuel system related. Sound like small electric motor bushings going bad/grinding or a ball bearing in a check-valve rattling....that sort of thing. I don't have time to investigate at the moment, just going to drop it off at the dealer next week.

maybe uca,that bolts in under the back seat,rear tires out of balance? Usually happens around 60 mph? Just a thought?

kingnut

Established Member
Justin you get it figured out? Thanks again for the help with my UCA.

Ratchet

Established Member
Mine does that as well. Only started after I put the Upper CA in. I am thinking gear whine. 3.73 cars are bad for it. Only really does it under load. If I let off the throttle it goes away. Back on the throttle/put a load on it and it comes back. I'm going to adjust my pinion angle a bit and see if that helps.

Last edited:

13BremboGT

Established Member
Justin you get it figured out? Thanks again for the help with my UCA.

Nope. Pulling away from a stop light, the car started surging, like it was out of gas, making that noise each time it lost power. Then it went away. I suspect something in the fuel pump or line. It still makes the same noise, but it is so quiet now that you can't even hear it unless you know exactly what you are listening for. Took it to Ford right after that happened. They couldn't hear it or reproduce the problem....of course. So, now, just waiting for some type of failure......oh well.....car is running like a champ at the moment.

Also, this is NOT a suspension related noise.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
what about taking it in to ford an having them take a look

Users who are viewing this thread