Binoculars from Custers last Stand value?

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
Someone from my family has some binoculars that are from the the Little Big Horn battle field.They have been passed down since one of my great uncles traded and or bought them from an Indian (at an Indian trading post) that was supposedly at that battle.

Who really knows for sure but I think if I could take some pictures of them and hopefully find some kind of an identifying mark or serial # that would put them in that time frame. And maybe even tie it to Custer's 7th calvary?

I've been trying to google different phrases that might lead me to getting some info and getting some kind of estimate of value but keep ending up at some online appraisers site and I rather not do that if possible.

Does anyone know where to look online to find out that kind of info? Or if anyone knows of of an trustworthy appraiser in the Kansas City area?

I know this is a shot in the dark but I know that there is a ton of people on here and maybe one of you has some knowledge on the subject?

I've been interested in finding this out for years but the link below has got me a little more curious:)
Sotheby's - Auctions - Calendar - Custer's Last Flag: The Culbertson Guidon from The Battle of The Little Bighorn

Thanks,

Kurt

popeye010

Established Member
It's gonna be near impossible to tie that in with being at the Big Horn site, Hell I have Custer's socks. Whos to say there not, no one survived. There is no way to validate the claim. Every thing today is documentation. I'm not saying that you can't find a buyer to get hooked on the item for a big price. But If I were you I would keep it in the family and retell the story on special occasions.

Last

Established Member
Well, I don't know much about these. But I do have a buddy that knows alot about this sort of thing.

28kmzk9.jpg

Good luck finding any info, or you could go be on Pawn Stars

04sneaky_snake

Established Member
What the ****???? How could the government put someone in jail for finding a pair of binoculars from a battlefield?

Who the hell has that authority?

OhIIICobra

Established Member
That blows my mind.

It's no different than finding an old-school dollar bill or something. Just because the Army used it doesn't give them the right to re-posses it and put the guy in jail. :??:

It's more the fact of pilfering artifacts from a National monument. Kinda like someone chipping a slab off the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
It's no different than finding an old-school dollar bill or something. Just because the Army used it doesn't give them the right to re-posses it and put the guy in jail. :??:
Well it's certainly not "Finders Keepers" here we're talking about...

If someone came onto your property and dug up a big old chunk of gold that was partially sticking out of the ground, you'd probably want that back wouldn't ya? It's theft, no?

U.M.

Last edited:

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
Well, I don't know much about these. But I do have a buddy that knows alot about this sort of thing.

28kmzk9.jpg

Good luck finding any info, or you could go be on Pawn Stars

LOL, I was thinking about that show but I don't plan on going to Vegas soon. I need someone with those kind of connections around here in Kansas City.

Seems they've already been recovered in a sting operation:

BINOCULARS TAKEN FROM CUSTER SITE ARE RECOVERED. - Free Online Library

I'm sure the locals have probably been profiting non-stop from "authentic" Custer artifacts since 1876.

If they are authentic the feds are gonna be paying you a visit...

Ya I saw that too, I kept getting that sting thing when googling custer's/binoculars. The big difference between that and my situation is that he found and dug up those binoculars in 1969 when it was a national monument.

My great uncle was an adult and in the area when that all went down. And he got it from an Indian that was supposedly at the battle at an Indian trading post which is long before it was a national monument. It's in great shape including the leather case. I'm just hoping that a serial # or something on it could show that it was issued to someone in his regiment etc.

There has been so much research about Custer's Last Stand that hopefully that kind of info exists, I just need to know where.

He was a "Cowboy" and an avid collector of all kinds of cool things from that era.

I'll get some pics of it around X-mas and post them up.

Thanks for all of the replies:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread