Bilstein Rear Shocks - Question on longevity

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I have Bilstein Sports with MM coilovers on my SRA rear. I have 30K miles on them. They seem to have lost some of their compression dampening as it appears that I am hitting the bump stop now on some bumps in the road that I hit regularly. This has become worse over time.

Is it possible that these shocks would lose it in 30K miles. There is no leakage and testing them by pushing down the rear of the car for bounce is virtually impossible due to the stiffness.

How have your Bilsteins held up over time?
Thanks

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Thanks but your comment seems contradictory. You are saying the mileage isn't much but they could still lost it? If not mileage based on what then? Have a lot of you guys had failing shocks at 30k?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
When talking to MM they gave me the impression that bilsteins last a LONG time. He basically said unless they are leaking, they are fine. I have 80k on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Perfect. Thanks for clarifying. No leaks so I guess they are OK. Tires are getting at the end of life so maybe they are just getting hard and that is what I am experiencing.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Perfect. Thanks for clarifying. No leaks so I guess they are OK. Tires are getting at the end of life so maybe they are just getting hard and that is what I am experiencing.

As the tires wear down your car will get closer to the ground

sonic cobra

Established Member
I have bilstein sports on the front. With closeto 60,000 miles and over 2000 track miles and our heavy Cobra front end,I thought they might be getting tired. I sent them back to bilstein to be revalved. They said they were in good shape but i had them redone anyway.
Maybe check the ride height?

oldmodman

Established Member
Could it be possible that the springs have started to sag?

I replaced a set of Hypercoil springs that I felt were losing their "strength"
They seemed to have improved my suspension but it might also just be my imagination telling me that I didn't throw my money away.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Ride height appears to be the same but I do not remember what I had the height set to when we installed the coilovers. It dosesn't look like the rear is sagging at all. I will be replacing the tires over the next few weeks so I will see how that changes the car.

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
You are more than willing to send the coil overs to me 0:). I'll even give you some h&r spring! I'm that nice :beer:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread