Billetflow pulley smog legal?

arbs

Established Member
I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Even in google. I was just wondering if I installed a billetflow upper if it would still be smog legal? Idk if it would pass visual or not that's why. I live in Cali and you know how it is here with the smog stuff.. Thanks in advance.

arbs

Established Member
Yeah I'm getting the 2.93 and the full idlers so that top idler wouldn't clear the cover. Hmm, I really want to do it but that's the only thing stopping me. It's my DD and I just want a little more get up. But if I won't pass smog I'll just have to pass. It would suck to install it and take it off every two years.

Mystic03

Established Member
Yeah I'm getting the 2.93 and the full idlers so that top idler wouldn't clear the cover. Hmm, I really want to do it but that's the only thing stopping me. It's my DD and I just want a little more get up. But if I won't pass smog I'll just have to pass. It would suck to install it and take it off every two years.

pulley cover will fit with a 2.93 stock is 3.65...i have a link for the "stealth" cover in my #4 post

MysticRob

Established Member
Reygen, they might flag it on the visual inspection and fail you. It's a risk I'm not willing to take so using CobraBob's Blower Belt Guide as a reference I decided that when I go with my 2.81" blower pulley and tune I'll just use the smaller 73.75" Micro-V belt (K080733) without the aux snout pulley (and stock idlers, or stock-size aftermarket idlers) so I can still use the stock pulley cover.

This setup will still keep belt slip to a minimum and maintain the stock look so the smog nazis will be none the wiser. Since you're using a 2.93" blower pulley I doubt you'll have any belt slip according to most posts I've read --- just use the K080740 belt Bob references on his site. Even the 2.76" pulllies rarely slip if you use a short enough, and good enough, belt.

Belt Guide

Last edited:

arbs

Established Member
Wow that's pretty badass! That's something that I would actually do! But as for the pullies being there. Do you think it would cause me not to pass smog? I'd assume not right because the car will still run like stock until I get into boost. Right? Do I sound like a noob right now? Lol

arbs

Established Member
Hey Wsup rob! Thanks for chiming in. Yeah, after last Sunday I feel like I want to put a 2.93. With all those awesome cars there, yours being one of them of course, mine just seems so plain. I just want to spice it up a little! Haha

Mystic03

Established Member
Wow that's pretty badass! That's something that I would actually do! But as for the pullies being there. Do you think it would cause me not to pass smog? I'd assume not right because the car will still run like stock until I get into boost. Right? Do I sound like a noob right now? Lol

if it was me id toss on the pulley cover go to smog. i mean itll look like a stock cobra unless they really look behind the pulley cover but its tough to see if its stock or not. after i pass smog pull cover off and throw my aux idler back on. only takes 20min do so

MysticRob

Established Member
Hey Wsup rob! Thanks for chiming in. Yeah, after last Sunday I feel like I want to put a 2.93. With all those awesome cars there, yours being one of them of course, mine just seems so plain. I just want to spice it up a little! Haha

Those damn get-togethers are the cause of mod-bug infestations. :kaboom: That's what led to my lowering springs and rear wheel spacers. :loser:

I bet you'd be fine with your 2.93 and just a shorter Micro-V belt (one of the very best belts out there), so you can put the stock pulley cover back on like I plan. You gonna take it to AED to get the tune done? :beer:

BTW, I'll PM you shortly to chat off-thread.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Find a laid back smog guy and pay user the table. They can pass it. The guys passed mine without even seeing the car cause had base number from last year when it was completely stock. I don't even have cats! :p. pm about what part of Cali you are. I might be able to help u out...

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The stock cover is easy to modify. The above link is nice, but it doesn't take that much work. You can also run a 74.5" belt with the 2.93" pulley and leave the cover on. I've tried both ways and either one works fine.

Here's my modified cover which I then stripped and re-painted with a custom color to match the original Eaton color:

P1020916_zps662c5822.jpg

MysticRob

Established Member
Its just a pulley has nothing to do with engine function and emissions. I passed with mine.

Very true, but anything not appearing stock can lead to questions and flags, and in the SF Bay Area many smog techs likely won't touch it. I'd rather not take the chance. I've actually heard from some techs that the state purposely has 'undercover' vehicles with problems tested to see if the techs flag them.

When I had my 84 GT done at 3 different places they crawled ALL over that car trying to find stuff wrong with it even though it was mechanically stock. Sad thing is the guy I took the Cobra to didn't even know if the supercharger was stock, and wanted to flag it for aftermarket parts. That's why I'll be going with the stealth look with the cover after I do the pulley swap. :beer:

arbs

Established Member
The stock cover is easy to modify. The above link is nice, but it doesn't take that much work. You can also run a 74.5" belt with the 2.93" pulley and leave the cover on. I've tried both ways and either one works fine.

Here's my modified cover which I then stripped and re-painted with a custom color to match the original Eaton color:

P1020916_zps662c5822.jpg

that looks pretty sick! what kind of paint did you use? i tried PMing the guy on a how to and what kind of metal he used, but he didnt PM me back. that thread is old, so idk. i see you didnt use the extra contact point, the one you have to weld in. so is it being held by two bolts now? i really like that set up! i think thats what im going to do. but maybe a snub idler braket from billetflow, then a stock pulley from ford and either a black or silver supercharger pulley. do you or anyone here know what the part number is for the ford pulley? or is it the same as the other pullies on the bottom? i hope this all makes sense. lol thanks!!!:beer:

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
something that increases airflow into the engine has nothing to do with emissions or function?:shrug:

A smart ass I see. Firstly we are talking about the idler pullies. Which don't effect emissions. Second neither would a blower pulley. Emissions testing isn't at WOT champ. So if your not boosting there isn't any more air entering the engine than normal. :bash:

arbs

Established Member
Okay so I decided that I'm doing a black billetflow 2.93. Id do the lightning pulley but I can't find one.. I'm going to get the billetflow snub idler bracket. Now I don't know what pulley to use for the idler. I want to use a stock ford one but does anyone know if its a 100mm pulley or a 90mm? Thanks guys!!

Mystic03

Established Member
Okay so I decided that I'm doing a black billetflow 2.93. Id do the lightning pulley but I can't find one.. I'm going to get the billetflow snub idler bracket. Now I don't know what pulley to use for the idler. I want to use a stock ford one but does anyone know if its a 100mm pulley or a 90mm? Thanks guys!!

i have a snub idler...and stock idlers..shoot me a pm if interested and pullies are low mileage under 10k

Users who are viewing this thread