Big wheel question.....

KOOY

Established Member
Hello, all my big lighting cousins, I need some help. I am not familiar with big trucks and big wheels. So, here is the dumb question..... I got a big SUV, I want 20'' on it. But though I put on the 20'' rims on the SUV, if I don't change the spring, the car will stay at the same height, right???? And the gap between the tire and the fender will stay the same, right????
Chime in, guys... thank you....

LOKOSVT

Established Member
Not really. What you should do is get a tire and wheel combination that is the same height as stock. What you need to do is check on tire profile. If you get 20s and run a tire with a 50 series profile it will be pretty tall. I have a Tahoe with 20s and im running a 45 series tire. The lower the number the lower the profile. But one thing ill tell you, the lower the profile the harder the tire gets, you will feel every lil bump on the road.

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
plus the lower the profile, the more money the tire can cost as well.. plus u hit a pot hole with a 45 series tire your more likely to damage the wheel and the tire. The bigger side wall on a tire protects the wheel from damage.

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
You can also get 20s and new tires with a little taller sidewall if you are wanting to close the gap a little.

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
Yes, you should be able to buy tires with the same overall diameter/height as your stock ones. That would keep the gap between the tire/fender the same. In my opinion, a low profile tire looks funny with a stock gap on an L, but there may be exceptions on other vehicles. Tire Rack has a program on their website to show you what size tires are recommended when you enter your stock tire size and your desired wheel diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread