Big Props to Bruce (ac427cobra)...

sassafras

Established Member
...and all the work he's done with the IRS in these cars. I recently purchased his full bushing kit/bumpsteer-upgraded toe links/adjustable sway bar end links and got to install them two weekends back and all I can say is wow, Ford's NVH engineers really dropped the ball on the rear end on these cars.

Install was simple and straight forward with great instructions from Bruce. I had one friend helping me, with the car on jackstands, we were able to knock out the entire project over two days during the weekend. Nothing is really difficult, everything is just time consuming. The only hiccup I did have was the installation of the rear subframe back onto the car as it was a super super tight fit.

Results were simply amazing. 90% of my wheelhop is gone, I'm still on eagle F1's and that last 10% should go away when I finally drop those. The only time I'm hopping is in the rain and occasionally when I dump the clutch in first. I don't have to worry about hop anymore while driving 20 mph and punching it. This alone has made the car so much more enjoyable to drive. The car tracks so much better in turns now it's ridiculous, even without having the bumpsteer set correctly (haven't had time) it's doing this. I have noticed a little bit more gear noise, and my drivetrain clunk is slightly louder, but those are very small things I can live with when so many other aspects of the car are far and away better.

If you are on the fence about spending this much for bushings, go ahead and take that jump...buy them! There has been so much engineering and thought put into these as well as pages upon pages of positive results that the price is justified.

Thanks again Bruce :beer:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I love your avatar sassafras. I'm dangerously close to getting this kit as well. Money's not the issue, but it's the time/place to do the work. I wish I could do it myself, but living in an apartment makes it impossible. Thanks for the review :beer:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
+1000 for Bruce's IRS Bushing Kit. I installed one a little over a year ago on my Cobra and the difference (improvement) is incredible! :thumbsup:

KILRSVT

Established Member
nice to hear. seems to be a good guy got some advice on road course racing a while back cool guy. some time in the future i plan to buy one of those kits from mr ac427cobra.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
The rest will go away with Nittos or M/T's....if you're concerned about rain get Nittos.

I just installed 14mm front subframe bolts and Nittos. Even in the 50 degree weather, my hop is gone with just those two simple add ons. Still have some wheel spin because it's chilly. Once it gets to be around 70-80 I bet all the wheel spin will be gone too.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
...and all the work he's done with the IRS in these cars. I recently purchased his full bushing kit/bumpsteer-upgraded toe links/adjustable sway bar end links and got to install them two weekends back and all I can say is wow, Ford's NVH engineers really dropped the ball on the rear end on these cars.

Install was simple and straight forward with great instructions from Bruce. I had one friend helping me, with the car on jackstands, we were able to knock out the entire project over two days during the weekend. Nothing is really difficult, everything is just time consuming. The only hiccup I did have was the installation of the rear subframe back onto the car as it was a super super tight fit.

Results were simply amazing. 90% of my wheelhop is gone, I'm still on eagle F1's and that last 10% should go away when I finally drop those. The only time I'm hopping is in the rain and occasionally when I dump the clutch in first. I don't have to worry about hop anymore while driving 20 mph and punching it. This alone has made the car so much more enjoyable to drive. The car tracks so much better in turns now it's ridiculous, even without having the bumpsteer set correctly (haven't had time) it's doing this. I have noticed a little bit more gear noise, and my drivetrain clunk is slightly louder, but those are very small things I can live with when so many other aspects of the car are far and away better.

If you are on the fence about spending this much for bushings, go ahead and take that jump...buy them! There has been so much engineering and thought put into these as well as pages upon pages of positive results that the price is justified.

Thanks again Bruce :beer:

Ryan:

Thanks for the great comments regarding the kit. :-D I've put a lot of my personal time, money and effort into this endeavor and I'm glad to see so many people are now enjoying the benefits of the kit.

I originally designed this kit to increase the cornering efficiency of my car on the road courses because there were a few Z06's still out-handling me at the track back in 2003. Being a hard core Ford guy, this upset me greatly. I knew it wasn't my driving. ;-) The car was simply limited how fast it could go through the corners because of all the damn rubber in the entire IRS assembly.

It took a while, but the street guys and drag racers finally caught on to the benefits of removing all of the rubber in the IRS assembly as well. It's a shame the IRS was delivered in such a compromised condition. :(

One thing I would like to mention is for the people that have eliminated wheel hop with things like different tires, air bags or what have you, all they have done is simply eliminated the hop. They have done nothing for the 'efficiency' of the IRS. Some food for thought I guess! :read:

Enjoy that IRS Ryan, you've earned it!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

romi

Established Member
I'm thinking of maybe doing this kit this coming winter. I've done a lot to the irs already, but I think it's time to get Bruce's kit to finally fix my issues, as I still have hop.

Users who are viewing this thread