Big Numbers, what rearend?

dover

vettekiller
Established Member
Finally about done with the car and doing final touches. Question for all you SRA guys.

Currently I have an 01 Bullit 8.8 on the car. My plans are:
Moser 31
Detroit Locker
UPR Upper/Lower CA's
Girdle
3.55's

Car is a 6 Speed, made 717 prior with an IRS an stock clutch!, just switched over this year to the SRA. I have had people tell me to forget about the locker an go with a spool? The car will only be a weekend/nice weather car. Hell it only has 18K on it right now, bought it with 12k in 06!

And no I don't want to do a 9'' :pepper:

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I have asked a million questions on here and by far the turbo cobra guys are the best at getting back with detailed responses. :dancenana:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If its going to be driven on the street (Sounds like that's all you're building it for), don't do a spool unless you want to chew up tires and break shit.

For a little more strength, you could go 33 spline, but what you have planned sounds fine to me unless you're doing 6K clutch dumps on slicks form every light.

EDIT - Saw you have a locker listed. It will be locking/unlocking going around turns and be a pain in the ass..... just run a posi unit.

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
A locker will be far less comfortable when driving on the street (especially turning) versus the alternative. I've got a 31 spline Eaton Posi Differential and it's treated me great so far with the previous Whipple setup. I know a handful of people with this identical setup that have gone deep in the 9's without issues.

The stock clutch is going to be toast really fast though. LOL

Go with a twin-disk when you upgrade. Can't beat it.

Digital

Established Member
Don't go with locker. 31 spline axles are fine for 2 reasons, 1. they are cheaper then 33+ and can be found easily if you break one, 2. the diffs are cheaper and can be found easily if you break it.
Do not go with a locker, you will hate your weekend car. Go with a eaton diff if you wanna spend some money or get a 31 out of a gt500 or 03/04 cobra and re-shim the clutches.
Besides that all your other mods are great.
My setup is in my sig.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Keep the 31 spline axles but ditch the locker. Go with a Detroit Tru Trac. This diff can take a pounding and driveability is like stock. No locking/unlocking noisy rearend to worry about.

HIPSI

Established Member
Keep the 31 spline axles but ditch the locker. Go with a Detroit Tru Trac. This diff can take a pounding and driveability is like stock. No locking/unlocking noisy rearend to worry about.
sorry but the tru tracs are not that strong i have personly broke 1 and my buddies n/a all stock motor with boltons has broken 2

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
sorry but the tru tracs are not that strong i have personly broke 1 and my buddies n/a all stock motor with boltons has broken 2

Was this the new or old design, when did these break? Ive been running my Tru Trac cutting 1.4 60s and its held up great. This was launching @ 6k on 28"ET Drags with the stick and a KB.

HIPSI

Established Member
Was this the new or old design, when did these break? Ive been running my Tru Trac cutting 1.4 60s and its held up great. This was launching @ 6k on 28"ET Drags with the stick and a KB.
this was about 6 years ago so im not sure i know my buddy was launching @7800 0n 26/10 mt

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
this was about 6 years ago so im not sure i know my buddy was launching @7800 0n 26/10 mt

They have since changed the design because of breakage issues. The new design is MUCH better. I havent heard of any of the new style ones breaking.

dover

vettekiller
Established Member
I will check out the Detroit Tru Trac, sounds ideal for me. I will occasionally hit the track (I'll also be running a 28'' tall tire) I'll probably be leaving off a launch master or something of the same concept.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
They have since changed the design because of breakage issues. The new design is MUCH better. I havent heard of any of the new style ones breaking.

+1, I have been running them for 6 years now. First in my 10 sec Lighni9ng, and now in my Cobra. Best street strip diff you can buy. Back in the day they only had 2 worm gears and they were breaking, they then upgraded them to 3 work gears and better case bolts. No problems since.

I would def weld on a swarr bar to you 8.8 housing, or custom make a brace, to keep the axle tubes true to the center housing. I didn't on my first SRA, and trashed the whole thing. Couldn't even straighten it on the JIG.
This is what mine looks like now.

DSC02377.jpg

dover

vettekiller
Established Member
if i didnt already have an 8.8, i would have jumped on this, it'll be cheaper for me to just build mine.. thanks though

Users who are viewing this thread