Big 'N Littles as a daily driver

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
I am wondering if anyone here runs 15" Welds or Telstars etc on their Cobra with drag radials and drives on the street a lot. That has always been my favorite look, but I also drive the car 3-4 days a week, and in the rain as well. I also drive my son in the car, so i am curious about safety/braking/drivability issues.

I know it would help to have a backup set of rims, but right now I can't do that. So do/would any of you guys run this combo as your only set up?

I know I'm crazy, but I just love the way it makes our cars look :rockon:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
A daily driver with drag radials in the rain is not a good combo! There's been a lot of totaled cars for that reason.

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
I hear a lot about that...which scares me. However on those days I can take my daily driver.

Anyone else have any input on what the car handles like on the highway and what the ride is like?

Thanks.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I used 15x4/15x8 Telstars on my old car and it was a daily driver. I used Nitto DRs though and those are the only DRs I'd really want to get stuck in the rain with. I never had any problems with the setup. Ride was smoother due to the increased sidewall size. I never mashed on the brakes, but I'm sure it wouldn't stop as good with little tiny tires up front (I used 165s). I tried to swerve one night while driving through the middle of Texas, to avoid hitting an armadillo.....I turned the wheel, the car did almost nothing, I ran over the armadillo, and then the car turned.

It looked wicked and hooked pretty good, but it's probably not something I'll do again with a car I drive daily.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I wouldn't do it.

Hindered braking and steering response, along with greatly increased potential for hydroplaning IF you were to get caught in the rain. Plus I personally hate driving on DR's. They squirm too much for my liking.

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
SublimeRT said:
I used 15x4/15x8 Telstars on my old car and it was a daily driver. I used Nitto DRs though and those are the only DRs I'd really want to get stuck in the rain with. I never had any problems with the setup. Ride was smoother due to the increased sidewall size. I never mashed on the brakes, but I'm sure it wouldn't stop as good with little tiny tires up front (I used 165s). I tried to swerve one night while driving through the middle of Texas, to avoid hitting an armadillo.....I turned the wheel, the car did almost nothing, I ran over the armadillo, and then the car turned.

It looked wicked and hooked pretty good, but it's probably not something I'll do again with a car I drive daily.

lol the armadillo was owned! Thanks for the input though.

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
mblgjr said:
I wouldn't do it.

Hindered braking and steering response, along with greatly increased potential for hydroplaning IF you were to get caught in the rain. Plus I personally hate driving on DR's. They squirm too much for my liking.

Thanks for the advice bro :beer:
I just can't afford 2 sets of wheels yet, and spinning through 3rd is starting to get a little old. I am stuck do runs from a roll due to traction....I should fit right in with the Supra crowd :D

Users who are viewing this thread