Big exhaust leak.... Time for a new midpipe!

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Let this be a lesson to everybody who hasn't figured out already that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

I put a flowtech O/R X on a couple months ago. It was cheap and I was impatient. It fit poorly and we had to chop it up a bit to get it to fit without leaking.... well its leaking like sieve now and we can't do much more to this POS to fix the problem so its time for something new.

I've got the FRPP M55 3" catback and the options for the new midpipe are:

1. Bassani O/R X
2. Magnaflow O/R X
3. VRS O/R X
4. MAC Prochamber
5. MAC O/R H

What do you guys think??? :)

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The FRPP has chambered mufflers, right? If so, go with an H or Prochamber. I'm one of those that doesn't really like the sound of an X with chambered mufflers.

P.S. Why isn't the MRT H (catted or off-road) on your list?

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
The FRPP has chambered mufflers, right? If so, go with an H or Prochamber. I'm one of those that doesn't really like the sound of an X with chambered mufflers.

P.S. Why isn't the MRT H (catted or off-road) on your list?

Kinda, its basically just a solid pipe surrounded by the muffler body. There are very small (1/4-3/8") gaps at either end between the pipe and the muffler body so at low throttle/low rpm it acts like a chambered muffler because some of the gas can get into the muffler chambers. But as you get on the gas and the exhaust moves faster the exhaust flow goes laminar and it acts exactly like straight pipes (turns out physics class was useful after all :p), so its a bit of a toss up on the midpipe (nothing is ever easy :().

The MRT isn't on there because I get my parts through my local shop and they don't carry it. :eek:

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Originally posted by 5Litrarag
How about a Dr Gas ?

Can't get it from my guys. Besides its my understanding that the Dr. Gas and VRS pipes are pretty similar with the X being located as far forward as physically possible. They would actually be almost identical to the Flowtech (except better quality I would hope, but that wouldn't be too hard :)).

5Litrarag

Established Member
Originally posted by bunny_power
Can't get it from my guys. Besides its my understanding that the Dr. Gas and VRS pipes are pretty similar with the X being located as far forward as physically possible. They would actually be almost identical to the Flowtech (except better quality I would hope, but that wouldn't be too hard :)).

Well, the design of the Flowtech is an obvious copy of the Dr Gas pipe, but you said the quality was crap on the Flowtech so all things arent equal. ;) Dr Gas pipes are of good quality and they wil not leak since they will seal as good as your welder makes them seal. :D

I can get you a price on the Dr Gas and get it shipped to your guys shop or to your door if you wish.
Right now would be a really good time to do it too since I'm trying to stack my sales and get to the next level of pricing. I'm very motivated to give a good deal.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
I would go with the MRT anyway. The quality is awesome, stainless steel you can't beat. It also sounds Mean as hell. It puts Mac products to shame as far as quality. I'd think twice about Bassani, unless you get stainless steel bassani, after a guy on here posted these pictures about what happened to his X-pipe which wasn't very old:

damagedX-pipe2.gif

damagedX-pipe3.gif

damagedX-pipe.gif

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03SonicSnake
I would go with the MRT anyway. The quality is awesome, stainless steel you can't beat. It also sounds Mean as hell. It puts Mac products to shame as far as quality. I'd think twice about Bassani, unless you get stainless steel bassani, after a guy on here posted these pictures about what happened to his X-pipe which wasn't very old:

damagedX-pipe2.gif

damagedX-pipe3.gif

damagedX-pipe.gif

With the Bassani the X is located just above the mufflers, but on mine, the Dr. Gas, and the VRS the X is just below the header connections. I remember reading somewhere that the further forward the X was the more power you got out of the pipe, but I don't know if it would really make that much of a difference. :shrug:

hatsharpener

Established Member
With the Bassani the X is located just above the mufflers, but on mine, the Dr. Gas, and the VRS the X is just below the header connections. I remember reading somewhere that the further forward the X was the more power you got out of the pipe, but I don't know if it would really make that much of a difference. :shrug:
Yes it does, in theory. The closer you are to the headers, the warmer the exhaust, the faster it moves. The faster it moves through the x, the more it will scavange from the other side of the x.

The UPR and Dr. Gas (my midpipe) will be louder than the Bassani too -- more raspy up high, but not as raspy down low -- at least that's what i've heard on pass through mufflers.

I can not rev my car past 3k rpm around town without drawing unwanted attention to myself -- not an easy thing to do with 4.56s -- but it does help on the fuel economy :p

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
Originally posted by 03SonicSnake
I'd think twice about Bassani, unless you get stainless steel bassani, after a guy on here posted these pictures about what happened to his X-pipe which wasn't very old:
Was that from the new Bx line?

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
I'm not sure if it was from the new Bx line but all I know is it wasn't the stainless X and it was a pretty new bassani pipe according to the guy that posted it.

5Litrarag

Established Member

Probably not a lot of difference on a street car.... but in an application where average horsepower over a period of time is key, it is all the difference. :)

Either way I just love the different pitch the location of the X brings...its like music

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Originally posted by hatsharpener
I can not rev my car past 3k rpm around town without drawing unwanted attention to myself -- not an easy thing to do with 4.56s -- but it does help on the fuel economy :p

That's my #1 problem (besides the leak which is driving me nuts). Once the car goes over about 3800rpm it just screams and its quite literally undrivable for city use (its even too loud for the local track).

I've got a Bx Catted X that should arrive today, so once its up on the lift I'll snap some pics if I can.

Users who are viewing this thread