Big Dog Choppers?

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Anyone here knowlegable about custom choppers? I'm looking at a few from Big Dog Choppers. The ones I'm looking at are around $30k.

I'm looking at their softtail chopper. It looks kinda like a rigid but with the added luxery of rear suspension.

also considering their ridgback which is a little more radical but supposedly not as comfortable for the long rides... havn't ridden either yet.

All of the BDC bikes have fairely decent 107ci S&S engines and a Baker 6 speed transmission. These two models also have a good sized 250 mm rear tire. They are MEGA loud too.

If I did get it I would probably make a few minor alterations by exposing the primary drive belt... looks cooler that way IMO... and replacing the 2 into 1 exhaust with 2 open pipe or something... and ditch the air filter cover and replace with something a little different.

It might be really fun to get a chopper... they are kinda faddish now though. what are your thoughts or recomendations/advice, things to look for, etc...?

Here is where I was looking at them...

http://www.usbiker.com/showroom2.php3

and here is the official BDC website:

http://www.bigdogmotorcycles.com/front.html

Last edited:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I sent them an email (to Orange County Chopper) to get a price range on their various standard chopper bikes. I have a feeling they may be kinda pricey though especially considering they are on the discovery channel and getting lots of business.

But they do make some nice bikes. They make some pretty gaudy ones too though. Their highly customized theme bikes are over $100k [oooph!]

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome
I sent them an email (to Orange County Chopper) to get a price range on their various standard chopper bikes. I have a feeling they may be kinda pricey though especially considering they are on the discovery channel and getting lots of business.

But they do make some nice bikes. They make some pretty gaudy ones too though. Their highly customized theme bikes are over $100k [oooph!]

700 dollars for an air cleaner. 4000 for two rims ! :eek: :dw: :eek: :dw: :eek:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
wow! that is crazy. Big Dog Choppers have a local dealer a few miles from my home so that makes things convenient. There are actually a bunch of custom fabricator/chopper shops in the phoenix area here though. BDC was the best price for what you get I think though.

still looking for more input into this... I know alot of you must be bike fanatics. got any advice for a first time motorcycle shopper?

Thanks

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome

If I did get it I would probably make a few minor alterations by exposing the primary drive belt... looks cooler that way IMO...

I just learned that the primary is actually a chain drive vs. the belt drive and it says it has a sealed lubricated inner primary.

Anyone know what the pros and cons are of a chain primary vs. a belt primary? And what is the difference between an "inner" primary vs. the "outer" primary?

so many questions... much to learn.... I should probably look for a forum relating to custom choppers now that I think about it. lol

Risilrac

Established Member
I have a friend that owns his own chopper business...builds custom choppers for people. Here's his address. www.badnunchoppers.com I don't know anything about choppers so you may just want to call or email him.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I think you are going to have to pay significantly more with WCC or OCC. Although their bikes are great, you pay for every ounce of that greatness. Frankly, most if not all of what you are paying for is the name. There are a lot of Chopper companies out there that make bikes that are just as good in quality, but not as high in price. Check out these guys, www.exotixcycle.com. I know the owner and the guys who work in the shop. They make high quality bikes at much less of a cost. They don't bull shit with prices and mark ups, they let you know exactly how much everything costs. Also, the guy who does their paint is unbelievable. Exotix is definately worth checking out.

Last edited:

Ripper

Established Member
Originally posted by freakshow12
no, you gotta get ahold of indian larry at gasoline alley in NYC! he is king of old school choppers.

Think we named everyone from the biker build off :) ! ! ! Think Indian Larry's bike remind me of an old bmx bike that you'll get in a junkyard ? How much are his bikes ?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Originally posted by Ripper
Think we named everyone from the biker build off :) ! ! ! Think Indian Larry's bike remind me of an old bmx bike that you'll get in a junkyard ? How much are his bikes ?

Everyone forgot the co-winner of the build off, Billy Lane of Choppers Inc. in Melbourne, FL. Seriously though, don't be swayed by what is only shown on Discovery. There are a lot of great bike builders out there who aren't on TV. I haven't looked at the prices in a while, but I bet bikes from the companies who have been featured on TV are going to be more. You guys remember that "Trim Spa" bike that the OCC guys built and sold for 150K? Someone I know who works in the same industry said that the bike they sold didn't cost much more than 30k to build. Talk about dealer mark up.

I think you should figure out what you want in a bike and then shop around and see who gives the best price. Unless you plan on getting into some heavy duty custom fabrication work, all bikes are pretty much built with the same pieces from the same manufacturers.

Last edited:

Cobra #2100

Established Member
OCC choppers start at 30-40k. Basic bike. I should no I have 2.Just kidding, but really that is what they start at. Good luck

Ripper

Established Member
Originally posted by BreBar21
Everyone forgot the co-winner of the build off, Billy Lane of Choppers Inc. in Melbourne, FL. Seriously though, don't be swayed by what is only shown on Discovery. There are a lot of great bike builders out there who aren't on TV. I haven't looked at the prices in a while, but I bet bikes from the companies who have been featured on TV are going to be more. You guys remember that "Trim Spa" bike that the OCC guys built and sold for 150K? Someone I know who works in the same industry said that the bike they sold didn't cost much more than 30k to build. Talk about dealer mark up.

I think you should figure out what you want in a bike and then shop around and see who gives the best price. Unless you plan on getting into some heavy duty custom fabrication work, all bikes are pretty much built with the same pieces from the same manufacturers.

But trim spa, Snap on they also got some extra publicity from one of the top rated cable programs on TV in some key demographics !

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I found an excellent custom chopper web site forum. A wealth of information. I've just been reading thread after thread there. Most everyone there is 10-20 yrs older than me and have been riding bikes their whole lives. I've been checking a bunch of diff places that build choppers... the usually price is around $30k... rigids are a bit less cause the frames are simpler and no shocks or suspension is required in the rear... but HARSH RIDE! ouch!

Here is some info i found out on the Primary drive question I had earlier:

http://www.clubchopper.com/t3503.html

I'm going to keep researching cause I'm finding out there is a ton of info worth learning before spending the cash on this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread