Big brakes install….what have I done????

BADBOSS

Established Member
So I went with the Steeda 13inch rear brake kit and the Hawk HT 10 race pads. Install seemed to go well, taking the axles out was easier than I thought, The biggest PITA was cleaning the old seal of the differential cover. Anyways, I take it out and follow the brake in procedure on the pads and everything seems fine. I do notice the rear wheels, and pads are much hotter than the fronts after the break in drive. I park the car with out the brake to allow everything to cool. Next drive I notice a slight groaning in the rear end of the car at slow speeds, so I put the car up on the stands, double check everything, it looks good so I go for another drive thinking maybe the pads aren't broken in yet. Take it up and down a awesome mountain road a few times aggressively, everything seems fine brakes seem stronger than stock! Bring it home and the groaning is worse. Could these new rotors be warped? Could running racing pads in the rear and stock in the front cause the rear rotors to warp in less than 100 miles?

Any thoughts appreciated...

darreng505

Established Member
Some race pad compounds will squeal (front) or groan (rear) when they're cold. Also you don't want to run a more aggressive pad in the rear than the front. That will affect your brake bias. If the rears are being overworked, that would explain your extra heat and possible groaning. Put a stronger pad in the front than the rear, but DO NOT run race pads on the street. They need heat before they start to work and if you're driving around town (especially in the cold) they may not stop you properly.

DIB302

Established Member
Any update on this thread? Looking at going with the same rear brake setup, and wanting to hear from others.

80KM2E

Established Member
I just swapped my oem pads all 4 corners over to the Hawk Street/Race and only the rear driver side brake is heating up like crazy now ( the rotor is super hot after a normal drive and all 3 others are cool to touch ) Also the red paste has burnt off completely on the visible pad. I think the brake piston is getting "stuck" on this one particular brake. I just keep driving on it and I think its shaved itself down. The car drives normal and braking feels normal and more stiff over stock pads. Not sure how to fix it and I've already taken the pads out and made sure they are seated correctly. *shrugs*

BADBOSS

Established Member
I am putting the aggressive pads on the front to correct bias. I am going to reach out to Steeda and see what they recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread