Big Brake ?????

stangkid

Established Member
Hey guys i have a Saleen big brake kit its the same as a 2000 cobra R kit it just says saleen instead of brembo anyway my question is i have CCW classic wheels i think the fronts are 18x9 or 18x9.5 and they wont clear the big brake kit has anyone else had this problem with CCW wheels and know what size spacers i will need to buy to clear the brakes?

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey guys i have a Saleen big brake kit its the same as a 2000 cobra R kit it just says saleen instead of brembo anyway my question is i have CCW classic wheels i think the fronts are 18x9 or 18x9.5 and they wont clear the big brake kit has anyone else had this problem with CCW wheels and know what size spacers i will need to buy to clear the brakes?

You will need to run at the minimum an .090" wheel spacer. This spacer will still allow whell hub location (contact) onto your hub.

There is a slight chance your spacer may have to be as thick as .187" which still will allow some center hub location.

If you go any thicker than .187" you will lose the hub locating.

Ideally you want about .090" clearance between the center section of the wheel and the caliper itself.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

stangkid

Established Member
You will need to run at the minimum an .090" wheel spacer. This spacer will still allow whell hub location (contact) onto your hub.

There is a slight chance your spacer may have to be as thick as .187" which still will allow some center hub location.

If you go any thicker than .187" you will lose the hub locating.

Ideally you want about .090" clearance between the center section of the wheel and the caliper itself.

Hope that helps.

i have 0.312.5 or 5/16 now and it does not clear 0.90 thousands is not going to help me any and 0.187 thousands is just 62 thousands bigger than a 1/8"

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
i have 0.312.5 or 5/16 now and it does not clear 0.90 thousands is not going to help me any and 0.187 thousands is just 62 thousands bigger than a 1/8"

Well, I'm not sure what's going on then. I had 13" front Y2KR Brembos with BOTH 17" & 18" CCW Classics and I used a .187" wheel spacer and it gave me .090" caliper clearance.

It's possible you have some different wheel center casting with less draft? :shrug: I'm not sure? Where did you get the wheels and how old are they!?!

stangkid

Established Member
Well, I'm not sure what's going on then. I had 13" front Y2KR Brembos with BOTH 17" & 18" CCW Classics and I used a .187" wheel spacer and it gave me .090" caliper clearance.

It's possible you have some different wheel center casting with less draft? :shrug: I'm not sure? Where did you get the wheels and how old are they!?!

I bought the wheels from a guy off here is there any way to find out what center castings i have i will post a pic off the brakes below and try to get a pic of one of the wheels later today.

SaleenBrakes.jpg

SaleenBrakes1.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It might be possible you have the earlier wheel centers that are much flatter than the later versions. There is a way to check. Measure the thickness of the wheel center near the center of the spokes. The earlier ones were thinner and flatter. They had some cracking issues with the thinner ones and that's why they went to the thicker version for additional strength.

The earliest version I have measure .770" which I started buying in '04. The latest versions I have went up to .830" in thickness but I can't tell you when they made the transition. I think ones made before 2004 were thinner than the .770" and had a slightly flatter profile.

Perhaps a call to CCW can give you some insight.

stangkid

Established Member
I got to the bottom of it i had some 5/16'' spacers laying around so i tried both of them together on one side and it gave me just enough to clear the caliper but just barely so i guess i will try ordering some 5/8'' spacers and see if they will work. What spacers would be the best to get the ones that have studs made on them and they bolt to my factory studs or the ones without studs where i would have to install longer studs?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I got to the bottom of it i had some 5/16'' spacers laying around so i tried both of them together on one side and it gave me just enough to clear the caliper but just barely so i guess i will try ordering some 5/8'' spacers and see if they will work. What spacers would be the best to get the ones that have studs made on them and they bolt to my factory studs or the ones without studs where i would have to install longer studs?

I think your best bet at this point would be to install longer studs and fabricate some hub-centric spacers. I would NOT use the studded spacers.

stangkid

Established Member
I think your best bet at this point would be to install longer studs and fabricate some hub-centric spacers. I would NOT use the studded spacers.

Man that sucks i already ordered them what kind of problems could i run into running the studded spacers? My friend has ran them with skinnies up front on his cobra for about four years with no problems.:shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Man that sucks i already ordered them what kind of problems could i run into running the studded spacers? My friend has ran them with skinnies up front on his cobra for about four years with no problems.:shrug:

Obviously they are out there on the market and people use them, I'm just not a fan. I tend to put more tire loads on my car than the average bear.

As long as you're just drag racing and tooling around on the street, you'll most likely be fine with them.

FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread