Big Brake kit

Cobraboy325

Established Member
I am looking to get some more stopping power out of my 01 cobra what do you guys suggest and what kind of pricing is that going to run me. Are we talking calipers and rotors just rotors or just a change of pads. My brakes are getting so I have to stand on the for the same amount of breaking. Talk to me guys
Thanks very much
Cobraboy

cobraracer46

Banned
At the high end of brake systems, you can get a Brembo grand turismo kit for $4000 that consists of a 14 inch rotors and 4 or 6 piston calipers. You could also improve your stock cobra brake system by adding braided stainless steel lines, more aggressive brake pads, flushing the brake fluid and possibly adding aftermarket rotors with aluminum hats.

Cobraboy325

Established Member
any other kits for cheaper than that like willwood or something that you guys know of. Thanks for the info
Cobraboy

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
If your brakes are getting so you have to stand on them, then something isn't right. You need to check your pads and brake fluid level. I know I can lock up my wheels at will.

I'll bet a flush of the fluid and new pads will fix you right up.

The stock brake system on a Cobra is very good - unless you are roadracing (where brake fade is an issue), I don't really see the point in upgrading your brakes. They are more than enough to get the job done for street driving.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
If your brakes are getting so you have to stand on them, then something isn't right. You need to check your pads and brake fluid level. I know I can lock up my wheels at will.

I'll bet a flush of the fluid and new pads will fix you right up.

The stock brake system on a Cobra is very good - unless you are roadracing (where brake fade is an issue), I don't really see the point in upgrading your brakes. They are more than enough to get the job done for street driving.

Agreed here. For primarily street use the stock cobra brake system is damn near overkill. It sounds like you've got some brake system problem if you are having to stand on the brakes to stop. As said above I would also recomend a brake fluid flush (use Ford DOT 4 HD fluid) and a set of pads. If you want more breaking power get a set of high performance pads like a set of Hawks.

You'll more than overpower your tires with that setup so unless you are stepping up to some stickeir tires, save the couple grand you were goign to drop on new rotors and callipers for something else. Perhaps a lightwieght hood, batter etc. Less weight = stop faster.

Cobraboy325

Established Member
Hey thanks guys very much for your imput it was very much appreciated
Cobraboy
P.S. any other imput is cool too

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
yeah you could always get new rotors, new pads, and a good flush on SS braided lines and I think you would be happy...I agree these cars have decent brakes...and you shou;dn't have to stand on the peddle for your car to stop...get it CHECKED man...

Cobraboy325

Established Member
I did get it checked and the idiots at the place around me said there is nothing wrong I told them "well my roommate has the identical car and I HAVE driven that car and the brakes are TOTALLY different" they cant figure it out. Dumbass's
Cobraboy

mackj66

Established Member
Cobraboy325 said:
I did get it checked and the idiots at the place around me said there is nothing wrong I told them "well my roommate has the identical car and I HAVE driven that car and the brakes are TOTALLY different" they cant figure it out. Dumbass's
Cobraboy

Cobraboy,
What the heck is it with your car and it's brake system? You are having some bad luck man. Maybe you have a lemon on your hands.
As far as Willwood brakes....take a look at Mike's silver Cobra. He upgraded to Willwood on all four corners of his ride.
You definitely have a problem with the system. I think I have a pretty good idea of how you use your car, and there is no reason you need to waste money on an upgraded brake system assuming everything is working properly with your car.
Like was stated earlier....my brakes more than do the job for recreational spirited driving.

Good luck with whatever you choose to go with. Hope you get it figured out.

Mack :rockon:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'm still calling bad brake fluid as the culprit here. If by visual inspection a brake shop is saying there is nothing wrong, start looking at the things you may not see. Does the master cylinder need bled? What about the brake lines? As brake fluid ages it gets condensation in it and stops working like it's supposed to. not to mention it can then corrode your metal brake lines from the inside out.

I would start by flushing the brake fluid with some new stuff. Make sure you don't let the master cylinder run dry. Start with rear passenger, then rear driver, the front passenger and finally front driver wheel. If this doesn't cure the problem I'd look at the master cylinder next.

The Cobra's have what is called a hydroboost unit instead of a standard vacuum assit power booster. The unit uses the pressurized fluid from the power steering pump to assist with braking. Check that the power steering fluid is in good shape and that there are no holes or tears in the power steering lines.

If after both of these things have been checked you are still having to really stomp on the pedal to stop then you might want to start systematically checking the rest of the braking system. You may have a hole somewhere in a line. There might be some problems with the brake pedal linkage etc.

I honestly think that your problem is going to be cured based on the first two areas though.

Cobraboy325

Established Member
MackJ good to see another MN fellow. OK I will have all that stuff checked out. Thanks very much for all your imput guys I will get back to you with the results
Cobraboy

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, we already have a type of Brembo (not nearly the track type) on the front...I put Stillen's on the rear, adjusted the bias a touch, stainless lines, and the stopping power is excellent...

green99_svt

Established Member
im willing to bet that the pad compound has changed do to heat and hard brakeing. are the rotors blueish or black spotted? put quality pads and rotors on it it should be ok. btw be sure to check all the caliper pistons and slides for free movement. the pedal would just go to the floor if the master had air in it and there would be no brakes at all.

Cobraboy325

Established Member
if I got some new rotor give me a suggestion on whats good. Thanks
Where do you guys buy all of your parts. I have been using mustangtuning.com and Ampperformance.com
Cobraboy

Cobraboy325

Established Member
thanks shelbyguy there is still no noise from the pads though is that a problem.
Cobraboy

Users who are viewing this thread