Big bore kit??

dougie19

Established Member
I was thinking about doing the the big bore kit to sleeves I was wondering of anyone has done it yet? And what kinda power it got

F8L SN8K

Established Member
You should make about 12-15% more power through-out the entire RPM range. You are increasing the displacement by 10% and the extra room helps unshroud the valves actually increasing the flow of the cylinder heads and valves. I have not had first hand experience with this but there has been a few built but most of those have been based off the 4.6. But there are some BB 5.4s out and about. Modular Performance, Modular Mustang Racing, Ex-boss 330 racing Livernois, Johnny Lightning performance Sean Hyland Motorsport and Sutton high-performance used to offer them but I'm not sure if all of them still do. There are both good things and shortfalls of doing it and ways of doing it. So I would speak with an engine builder and decide with them if it is the route you should take with you personal application.

Last edited:

shelby mark

Established Member
You should make about 12-15% more power through-out the entire RPM range. You are increasing the displacement by 10% and the extra room helps unshroud the valves actually increasing the flow of the cylinder heads and valves. I have not had first hand experience with this but there has been a few built but most of those have been based off the 4.6. But there are some BB 5.4s out and about. Modular Performance, Modular Mustang Racing, Ex-boss 330 racing Livernois, Johnny Lightning performance Sean Hyland Motorsport and Sutton high-performance used to offer them but I'm not sure if all of them still do. There are both good things and shortfalls of doing it and ways of doing it. So I would speak with an engine builder and decide with them if it is the route you should take with you personal application.

I have yet to see this work well. good luck

DMotorsports

Established Member
My thoughts on this have been that the potential gains are so marginal that it would be hard to justify the cost. The money spent on sleeving a block could be well spent elsewhere to net similar (or even better) gains in most cases. Looking at the different 5.4 4v builds out there, the limiting factor on how much power you can make with a 5.4 is often your wallet rather than displacement.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I dont recall the reasoning, but when I was having my motor built last year I asked Micheal at L&M about it and I kept the stock bore and stroke as a result of the conversation

Users who are viewing this thread