Bi-Xenon 9007s (hi and low beams)

BBriBro

Established Member
The last time I read about HID conversions, we had to do away with the high beams. After some research, I see that they are making the Bi-Xenons for the 9007 bulbs. This might be just the ticket for those that want to keep their hi beams. Anyone seen these?

http://www.hidkits.com/whats_new.htm

XenonDepot

Established Member
Hello,

We used to carry high/low conversion kits however we found that the high/low mechanisms either got stuck or proved to offer a very insignificant change in output between high and low.

Just my 0.02...

STeve

BBriBro

Established Member
Interesting. I probably wouldn't "need" the hi beams, especially with the superior HID lighting, In fact, I rarely use the hi beams now, but I just hate the idea of losing them, that just seems kinda backwards to eliminate them all together. But the flip side would be, If I paid extra for the bi-xenons and they got stuck, then I would be more upset, so who knows :shrug:

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
XenonDepot,

You guys running any new year's specials or still have that group buy going?

The deer are still running mad around here and I almost got one the other night. Could not see him till I was about on him.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
How can you pass annual inspection if you get rid of high beams? Every state I've lived in check that... (OH, NY, PA, NC)?

XenonDepot

Established Member
One way or another, any one of these HID conversion kits are not legal for street use. You will need to put your factory halogen bulbs back in place for the inspection. The nice thing about our kit is that you do not cut any wires or modify your headlights in any way so going back to stock is very easy.

Steve

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic 03 Cobra
How can you pass annual inspection if you get rid of high beams? Every state I've lived in check that... (OH, NY, PA, NC)?
Now that's a reason I never even thought of, shucks, I don't know what to do.

Originally posted by XenonDepot

I would recommend going with the 4100k kit if you want the brightest however if you want that pupulish OEM HID look go for the 6k kit.

Steve
BTW, according to Misterjung the 7000k is the closest to the Acura, Audi, BMW, S2000, S-Class, etc, while you recommend the 6000k. Do you offer 7000k ? Or does the "color" vary depending on the brand of the bulbs?
I realize that the higher you go, the more "color" you have as well as less light, but the "look" of HIDs is also important to me, It seems that even with the "dimmest" HID kit, you still get about double the light of a halogen bulb.

Last edited:

XenonDepot

Established Member
Hello,

No quality OEM HID bulb manufacturer manufactures a bulb over 6000k. All OEM HID use 4100k/4300k. Anything above 6000k is useless as it will emit almost no useable light output. Take a look at this page from our website to gain a better understanding:

http://www.xenondepot.com/tech.html

A black light has a colour temperature of approx 12,000k. While it may be nice and purple, how much useable light output does it offer??

There are currently only three OE suppliers for HID bulbs: Philips, Osram/Sylvania, and new to the game is GE. There must be a reason why Automotive manufacturers do not purchase generic HID capsules (korean, japanese, taiwanese, etc...) in order to save money.

Steve

BBriBro

Established Member
Ok, so you do have 6000k kits correct? And are you saying that will match the OEM lighting on BMW, Acura, Audi, etc?? So the info I read about 7000k is incorrect?

I get your point about the black light :) Good example, I just want to compromise, I want it to look good from inside and from outside the car :)

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
My friend has the 6000k MisterJungs in his 2003 Toyota celica (stock the celicas have projector lenses and an option for HID's) I would say there is plenty of light output from MisterJungs 6000k Kit. The color as it appears to me is an off blue color (definately not the purpleish color output like the Acura TL's, Audi's, BMW's, S-Class Benz that I am looking for) To me the color output is as important as the light output if not more. I am going to be the guinea pig on this one and order his 7000k kit, even though it is rated at less lumens, it is still substantially more output then it's/our halogen counterpart. Cameras cannot capture the true color output of headlight optics, so posting pictures on the internet to me when trying to figure out what is going to look most like the lights in the audi's is difficult.

EDIT: The color on most high end OEM HID systems can be attributed to the optics that are designed to enhance the standard HID lighting. Our cars have reflectorized housings built for Halogen bulbs therefore to change the color output on a car with reflectorized headlight assemblies, you need to #1 change the characteristics of the bulb or #2 buy projector housings that do a much better job of concentrating light output.

EDIT # 2: I have been searching for quite awhile to get the color output that I see on The Audi's/Acura TL/BMW's/ Benz S-Class/ Lexus LS430/ It specifically appears as a violet tinted color. I had a set of Sylvania HID's on my '02 Silverado and the thing is when I first turned them on (When they were warming up) that was exactly the color output I Was going for. Granted there isn't going to be the brightness in using a 7000k setup ( probably because the actual bulb is tinted ) but so far all the kits I have seen claiming 6000k that are used in reflectorized housings, are not that color, so for me it's time to try something different.

EDIT # 3 LAST ONE I PROMISE.... I Am currently working on prototype 99+ Mustang Projector Headlights that utilize the actual projector assembly found in the 2003+ Mercedes SL Class. The cost so far is kind of high but I am looking at alternatives. I am just suprised no one makes projector headlamps for our vehicles yet....

Last edited:

XenonDepot

Established Member
Point I am trying to make is that all OEM HID use 4100k/4300k for a reason. The higher you go in terms of colour temperature the less useable light output you will have. According to Philips, the 6000k Philips Ultinon bulb is rated at having approx 20% less lumens output when compared to the 4100k Philips bulb. I have seen many HID kit sellers make ridiculrous claims that their high colout temperature kits have higher lumens output than Philips 4100k or even rate them at being the same. This is absolutely impossible.

Furthermore, you will find that higher colour temperature kits will get you pulled over rather quickly as driving around with blue headlights is definitely heat!

Once again, not trying to tell you what to buy. Just making sure you guys know what you're buying.

Steve

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
Originally posted by XenonDepot
Point I am trying to make is that all OEM HID use 4100k/4300k for a reason. The higher you go in terms of colour temperature the less useable light output you will have. According to Philips, the 6000k Philips Ultinon bulb is rated at having approx 20% less lumens output when compared to the 4100k Philips bulb. I have seen many HID kit sellers make ridiculrous claims that their high colout temperature kits have higher lumens output than Philips 4100k or even rate them at being the same. This is absolutely impossible.

Steve

I Agree with you 100%

Sacrificing light output for color output is just something people will need to understand if their car was not built for HID lighting. But for me, I am fine with that. Also for the people considering kits higher then 41/4300k...even though it appears the bulbs are emitting a twinkling purplish light, if you pull up along side of a car that comes factory equipped with HID's you'll notice that the color of the light on the ground is that of a 41/4300k bulb (Straight White, daylight like) however if you pull upto a car that has a 6000k, 7000k or higher kit, the color of the light on the ground will be that of the bulb. Projector housings are the way to get the best of both worlds, the most light output, and that insane looking purplish color. Just my .02 :rockon:

BTW Steve you run a very professional approach to selling HID kits....I am envious :)

Last edited:

cjuni

Established Member
quick question

Ok

What about the 2 bottom driving/fog lights for some reason you can't find/match those with the top 2.

From what i've seen everyone who has gone to the HID's only use/have the 2 reg. lights done.........why is that?

Do they not make them for those?

Last edited:

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
what would happen if u took the metal part out of the headlight that the light reflects off of to hit the back of the headlight housing?? so it just shoots out straight instead of hitting the back then shining out? i got hid's in my cobra, i believe there 7500k, a little bluer then i expected but looks good with the sonic paint, pretty damn bright

vrooom#3440

Established Member
Interesting if expensive. How does this work without high beams?

Around town is pretty much a "who cares?" but on a mountain road at night with little traffic I want some range to my headlights.

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
From my experience people don't do the fogs at the same time as the normal driving lights due to the cost. Being it will cost $350+ to do each set thats ~$700 upgrade just to get some better lighting. Alot think that not alot is to be gained by doing the fogs as well.

I think if you look at the front of a car that has HID's only in the driving lights with regular hologens in the fog holes it would look half-assed/cheap being the color is so different and would make your fogs look like burning candles compared to the light output from the hid's.

Dem03SonicSnake - Good question, i would assume it would make them not be as bright because basically when you look directly into a reflectorized head light, you are looking at what is reflected off that "cover" back onto the housing and in turn, back onto the road, without it I think your concentration of light will be different and less spread on the road.

I don't ever use high beams so they are really not that important to me. Another though would be to fill your fogs with HID's and use those as auxiliary lights pointed upward for when u need to see the signs.....

out99sider

Established Member
correct me if im wrong but no car company has HID's equipped in the foglight location due to the fact that the HID light will actually magnify the fog, making it more difficult to see. i guess thats why most cars still have the halogen below.

BBriBro

Established Member
I see the 9007 6000k kit is $499, is that the "going price?" I keep seeing numbers thrown around like $350-400. Maybe that is for the MisterJung kits? People seem to be very happy with the ones from xenon depot, is that the group buy price?

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Xenon,

Of the three kits you offer for our cars. What is the most popular?

So the 5000K would be a good one if you want bright and little color?

Users who are viewing this thread