BFG R1 tires

ba#97

Established Member
Got a set of 275/40-17 r1 tires slightly used off of a guy that runs SCCA American Sedan. the car the tires are off of is his runoffs car. tires only have 3 heat cycles on em...can't wait to see how the car does with these...anyone have experience with them? He has multiple other sets used so I know I will be able to grab em whenever I need them!

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
ive run bfg r1's a lot. compared to a hoosier r6 they cut much harder on turn in. so if you have a comfortable hoosier set up or worse youve been on toyos or something like that, your car will be LOOOSEEEE!!!!

they are good for more heat cycles. i like them a lot

ba#97

Established Member
That's what these guys said, said they last way longer than the hoosiers and they said they like them a lot. this is actually my first outing with r compound tires so I'm not sure how the car will handle...most likely it's going to be tons better than the nt05's I had prior either way! can't wait to see how it does. get to test them at thunderhill next sunday.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
It is a good tire. I have found that they don't communicate as much as others I have used. Meaning they aren't as audible. On the edge of grip you might think everything is all good because the tires arn't screaming and then they'll let go. Don't let that scare you too much because they do have tons of grip. Just make sure to listen to them and know when they are not happy. Mine also wore sorta quick, but that'll depend a lot on the track. But overall it is a very good tire. Yours should have a fair amount of heat cycles left in them.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I went through 2 sets and sold a 3rd with life still in them. I liked them. Only warning I have is they didn't fall off as fast as others. That's a good thing for longevity, but you then have to make the decision on when its time to replace them. I would often go "ther're still good enough", but when you put on new ones, you realize how far gone they were.

mufflerbearing

Established Member
This is the tire that I use most of all. I really do like them. Hoosiers are good too, but when they are gone, they are gone. I guess that is good in a way and bad in another.

ba#97

Established Member
well all I'm hearing is good things...and seeing as this guy has tons of used sets, I'm sure I can grab more if need be. I was really just looking for someone with used tires I could continue to buy for cheap that still had some life in em seeing as I just track the car anyways. and from all I'm hearing they last a decent amount, so I'm pretty pumped to see how they are on the car.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I think you will really like the R1s, I have been running them for a few years now and while not quite as sticky as the R6s they do tend to last longer with pretty good grip. Be careful of when the start to get cycled out, you will be able to feel it if you pay attention.

Users who are viewing this thread