Better Value $41,000 for a 2012 or $54,000 for a 2013 gt500

smokin03

Established Member
I am buying one of these 2 years and cant make up my mind. A lot of good deals on 2012's low 40's and steady prices of mid 50's for 2013's. I obviously would prefer the 2013, but with such low prices on 2012's can I still get the performance after the fact to make up for the better price. Or will the 2013 just be better regardless? I am new to the Gt500 cars, but long owner's of past Cobras. thanks for your inputs.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Miles on each, along with options and previous ownership history would be good info on both. IMO, neither is a particularly good price for the car. Decent price yes, but nothing to get excited about.

Dynobrat

Established Member
You're better served going with the 2013. With future production and the way things are looking, the 10-12's will end up depreciating in value like the 07-09's. It's only a matter of time until the 13-14's are outshined and replaced and the same thing will happen all over again. The 10-12 cars aren't special enough to keep them in the 40k range much longer. My opinion, of course. I could be wrong.

you'll spend roughly 3-5k doing a blower swap with supporting mods what's another 5g for the rest of the benefits/factory upgrades?

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
There's a 95% chance you'll end up modding it in a few months. Wouldn't you rather have $13K leftover for mods? Those additional factory upgrades in the '13 aren't worth $13K in my book.

Van@RevanRacing

Buy a 2013 and with $4K in mods you can be at 725 RWHP on the Stock Supercharger. 13/14 has an improved cooling systems (track pack cars) as well as the intercooler and heat exchanger systems and more displacement and compression over the 12 models.

In similar approach to what others have opined, you can save $13K and put that toward mods and make an equal or greater amount of horsepower without spending as much but improving the car.

Can't go wrong either way.

smokin03

Established Member
The 2012 is base level with 5,500 miles asking $41,500. The 2013 is loaded candy red, glass roof, perf pak, trac pac, recar seats. The only mod is a jlt intake and still is under warranty. 11,700 mi asking $54,995. It is a tough call, I think I will always wonder if I go 2012, what if I got the 2013. I think that is my best bet for myself. Not for sure on this one, but a 2013 for sure. Thanks for the input everyone.

jbs$

Established Member
You will get the price difference in smiles - go with the 13. Also, the $15 large difference will still be there when you sell it in the future.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You are also comparing a base model to a fully loaded model. PP adjustable suspension, glass roof, recaros, etc. Those upgrades alone increase the value of the 13 on top of it being a newer model.

Get the 13!

Tom

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
In that case, 13-14 is the strong and clear winner all day every day!

Speedboosted

Established Member
After looking at your description of the vehicles, go with the '13 if it fits the budget. Make sure you not only can afford the payments, but the extra cost of owning a gt500. That almost caught up to me before I changed some old habits.

Oh and that is a pretty good price for a loaded '13

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Out of those two cars, the only way I'd go with anything other than the 13' is if it was out of my budget. Sometimes even a great deal is a great deal that's too much money; only you can make that call. If the 13' is going to break the bank and put you over your comfort level spending wise, a 10-12 GT500 at a good price is nothing to be disappointed about. At the same time, those saying that buying the 12' and having an extra $15k to spend on it, know that that's not how it works. Not many people on this board are going to be able to spend $40k+ on a 12' then another $15k on top on mods simply because they didn't spend it on the 13 that they might have otherwise purchased... I don't know of any banks in the business of giving you and extra $15k in mod money on your car loan because you didn't spend it on the more expensive car that you were thinking about. That being said and money being available on both ends, I'd go with the 13' all day and twice on Sunday.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
In your case if you can swing the 13, go for it. As it stands it is a better platform to begin with than the 12, and a few mods will have you well over the 700 mark.

Users who are viewing this thread